Crazy - Factory Ammo vs. Handload Costs

waspocrew

WKR
How much is your time worth sitting in front of your computer or phone and looking at the internet?

I started reloading my rifle ammo in 1967 when I bought my 1st centerfire rifle, a .30-06. Then pistol and 12 ga shotshells in the early '70s, along with casting lead bullets for my pistols. In the late '80s I was competing in registered ATA Trap shooting and started making my own lead shot. That continued through the '90s as I was loading and shooting all 4 shotgun gauges for NSSA Skeet shooting competitions.

I no longer compete, but I still shoot pistols, rifles, and Skeet every week, and this past week I made 450 lbs of # 8 1/2 shot that should last me for the next 2 or 3 years.

My rifle reloads aren't benchrest competition accuracy (neither am I), but I do get 3-shot moa accuracy out of most of my rifles up to my .375 RUM, which has satisfied all all of my hunting needs.

I like to reload just as much as the next guy - trust me, I'm pretty well invested in components and equipment, so I'm not getting out of it at all. I'm set up to load for all the cartridges I shoot, but I don't always choose to handload for them.

My 6 CM has been fed a steady diet of Hornady 108 ELDM and Prime 107 SMK factory ammo. When I saw that both of them will reliably shoot well under MOA for 5 shot groups - I called it good, bought a case of each of the matching lot and went shooting. On the other hand, I load exclusively for my 338 RUM, 7 SAUM, and 6.5 Sherman (wildcat) pretty much out of necessity.

I can always make more money in life, but I can't make more time.

Harvey_NW

WKR
I completely agree with that once I've broken in the barrel, found a load, and have brass fireformed. For the first 100 or so it's a bit like pissing in the wind though IME.
Not mine. I've done load development on multiple new barrels and never saw a difference besides needing to back the charge down a bit if I was up to pressure at the start. I think most shooters make way too much of a fuss out of the concept because of benchrest folklore.