CPW seeks input, allocation of licenses

tdhanses

WKR
Tags and licenses, fishing included make up around 50% of CPW revenue.
Still pretty substantial, how many NR fisherman/hunters come to CO vs the total population of CO, assuming all CO residents enjoy having wildlife and it managed? Can’t include all tourists as they do not add funds to CPW.

CoStick

WKR
Still pretty substantial, how many NR fisherman/hunters come to CO vs the total population of CO, assuming all CO residents enjoy having wildlife and it managed? Can’t include all tourists as they do not add funds to CPW.
Would take much of a resident increase to cover the gap. $20-25 perhaps if that. They are now charging $25 per car registration each year as well to CO residents that go to the revenue pool.

Poser

WKR
I think the main thinking is what percentage of revenue makes up CPW budget, R or NR. In reality Residents on their own haven’t had to contribute much to the actual management of wildlife by funding CPW, hence NR arguments.

I also think the majority of resident hunters wouldn’t want to pay a couple hundred per tag to reduce NR pressure, yes maybe here on Rokslide they would but in reality any R or NR here are a tiny portion of the hunting public and we can’t really get an accurate feel if people are willing to open their wallets for a better experience or just complain and do nothing.

Registration, state lottery and general fund taxes together account for 10% of the CPW budget. That is largely paid by residents.

GOCO adds another 26%, which appears to be largely homegrown revenue.

55% comes from license and passes. Not sure how that breaks down between R and NR.

Conservative estimate is that R’s are generating at least half of the total revenue, but could potentially be more like 60% or greater. If residents licenses provide half of the 55%, then that would imply residents are contributing 63.5% of the total budget. That’s not insignificant.

tdhanses

WKR
Registration, state lottery and general fund taxes together account for 10% of the CPW budget. That is largely paid by residents.

GOCO adds another 26%, which appears to be largely homegrown revenue.

55% comes from license and passes. Not sure how that breaks down between R and NR.

Conservative estimate is that R’s are generating at least half of the total revenue, but could potentially be more like 60% or greater. If residents licenses provide half of the 55%, then that would imply residents are contributing 63.5% of the total budget. That’s not insignificant.
That’s actually more then I would of thought.

Mosby

WKR
Would be great to have OTC Iowa NR deer tags. I bet the local economies would benefit greatly.
It would and the do benefit from NR hunters. I normally come here for spring turkey. The license I buy for turkey is good for pheasant and deer. I get a deer tag here about every two to three years. Pretty easy draw and I normally draw Colorado in between. I spend about a month a year in Iowa hunting. Hotels, fuel and food are also cheaper here than Colorado. When Colorado gives me lemons, I drive to another state and make lemonade.

Last edited:

Mosby

WKR
Iowa is overrated, no elk.
No elk but they have a lot of pheasant and large whitetail and that works for me. Climbing not required and it doesn't cost me thousands of dollars to come here for a week. I can hunt here for a month and spend less than what I spend on elk for a week of hunting. Something to be said for affordable hunting.

MTNBOYJD

FNG
A little input from a resident. I know NR pay a lot for a tag and spend money here a few days a year. Thank you.
As residents we pay $70.83 each just to apply for a tag that we won't get. 2-3 years and then get a tag. So that elk tag had a 3 year wait and cost $269.37. Then if successful we support our local processor who is usually booked up for all seasons, we do our own most of the time. We also go camping and fishing, $37 a day, about 4 times a year for a weekend. That's $296 a year for that. We have to get a campsite reserved months in advance.
The number of people outdoors these days is staggering. You can't get away anymore.
OTC tags need to go away. Unlimited tags for a limited resource? Free money for CPW. It's like selling parking permits for no parking spaces, overbooking seats on a plane etc. Everything has a limit. We have reached ours.
It's not just non residents, as I said before, this state has increased in population dramatically. Limited tags for everybody, get in line and wait your turn.

Mosby

WKR
I till believe the point that “NRs spend more than RD” should be contextualized:

NRs spend more per day *while on their hunting vacation*, likely an average length of 7 days. So, while on vacation for 7 days, an average NR Hunter may spend ~$1600, yet the average CO resident spends around $4,000 per month just to live in the state. So, if we are basing the argument on the idea of “whoever spends more should get tag allocation preference,” then there is no debate. Mind you, that is an absurd argument, but that is the argument being presented over and over again:

NRs: “we spend vacation money, therefore, we deserve equal access to tags.”

Residents:”it’s expensive AF to live here, We deserve weighted, preferential access to tags”
I don't really think in those terms. I don't expect equal access if there is such a thing. I like to elk hunt in Colorado and I apply there because up to this point, I could get tags but I don't need to elk hunt in Colorado. I like to elk hunt in Idaho too. At some point the cost or hassle outweighs the benefit and when it does, I hunt somewhere else. There will probably come a day, I can't get elk tags. I am really not concerned by it. I have been thinking about going back up to Alberta for whitetail again anyway. If I couldn't live without it, I'd move there. Thats how I look at this tag stuff. It's just a tag. Adapt.

Gerbdog

WKR
I don't really think in those terms. I don't expect equal access if there is such a thing. I like to elk hunt in Colorado and I apply there because up to this point, I could get tags but I don't need to elk hunt in Colorado. I like to elk hunt in Idaho too. At some point the cost or hassle outweighs the benefit and when it does, I hunt somewhere else. There will probably come a day, I can't get elk tags. I am really not concerned by it. I have been thinking about going back up to Alberta for whitetail again anyway. If I couldn't live without it, I'd move there. Thats how I look at this tag stuff. It's just a tag. Adapt.
I need new hobbies i guess... i'd be awful sad if i couldnt look forward to elk hunting season every year, even if its chasing OTC elk i'd still rather look forward to that then not have it every year. Ah heck just thinking about the possibility of not having next year on the horizon bums me out haha

Mosby

WKR
I need new hobbies i guess... i'd be awful sad if i couldnt look forward to elk hunting season every year, even if its chasing OTC elk i'd still rather look forward to that then not have it every year. Ah heck just thinking about the possibility of not having next year on the horizon bums me out haha
I got a new hunting dog last year. Got another Vizsla pup coming in February. I just bought new waterfowl calls and equipment for next year. I got tired of putting all my marbles into elk tags and getting PO when I didn't draw. So I decided to go back to what I grew up doing. Hunting everything and hanging out with hunting dogs. I like hunting dogs more than people.

Gerbdog

WKR
I got a new hunting dog last year. Got another Vizsla pup coming in February. I just bought new waterfowl calls and equipment for next year. I got tired of putting all my marbles into elk tags and getting PO when I didn't draw. So I decided to go back to what I grew up doing. Hunting everything and hanging out with hunting dogs. I like hunting dogs more than people.
Cant say i recommend hunting dogs OR people ;) alright dad joke for the day is done, worried i wasnt gonna make the quota today.

My brother has a lab pup that's old enough to jump in and out of the rio grande where we hunt in NM this year after his old lab passed away, so we gotta get him out and get him experienced in the blind! it'll be a fun thanksgiving week for sure and the pups showing great promise.

Back on topic i absolutely appreciate the ability to hunt every year here in CO, especially as a resident, even if its a low quality OTC unit, i still love it and hope to keep doing it until my bones wont carry me up the mountain anymore. It's a hard place to be in because i also recognize there are a whole lotta hunters in those OTC units as well and feel like something should change

Shane S

FNG
This is so easy. Draw for general tags for non residents. Leave it as OTC for residents. Look at other middle of the road states like Montana and Wyoming who are protecting their resource.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Poser

WKR
5d66419db16f9f8241aa95414c9d67c9.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

arock

Lil-Rokslider
You obviously don't live here and haven't seen the explosion in year round recreation in the Colorado mountains. It's everywhere, not just in the resort towns. Limiting NR licenses and raising the prices isn't going to change that. While this argument may have been valid 20 years ago, I do not think it is reality anymore. My two cents.
Do you think more of the hiking and that type of access should be permit based to help out there?

CoStick

WKR
Do you think more of the hiking and that type of access should be permit based to help out there?
I wouldn’t want to create another stakeholder, they are already going to be paying when they register their car.

Poser

WKR

With the exception of a few highly popular destinations, A permit for hiking is not going to happen on National Forrest land. The FS lacks the initiative, the funding and the manpower for this to happen.

Best case scenario is the “backpack tax” on general outdoor gear which would go to conservation.

tdhanses

WKR
With the exception of a few highly popular destinations, A permit for hiking is not going to happen on National Forrest land. The FS lacks the initiative, the funding and the manpower for this to happen.

Best case scenario is the “backpack tax” on general outdoor gear which would go to conservation.
I see this happening eventually, people don’t want others at the table but get ready the front range folks are coming in.

ColoHtr

FNG
I've been saying for years, I want to run for Governor on a single issue platform - if you move to Colorado, you are not allowed to own a motor vehicle for the first 5 years. That's my solution. 😁