CPW seeks input, allocation of licenses

cnelk

WKR
DENVER – Colorado Parks and Wildlife is considering changes to policies and regulations that could potentially impact how big game hunting licenses are distributed in the state. CPW is currently seeking public input from resident and nonresident big game hunters and stakeholders through an online comment form, followed by a survey and public meetings next year. The feedback will help the Parks and Wildlife Commission and the agency determine if the current policies need to be revised.
Public interested in big game hunting can provide feedback now via an online 10-question Big Game Hunting License Distribution Public Comment Form. Your feedback will help identify the highest priority topics for review by CPW over the next year. Feedback must be submitted by Nov. 22, 2021.

The big game license distribution topics being considered are resident and nonresident elk and deer license allocation, preference points, weighted points and over-the-counter (OTC) elk licenses.

To inform the review of license distribution topics, CPW is offering multiple opportunities for the public to get involved. The timeline for this process is now through the fall of 2022. For more information, read the CPW Big Game Hunting License Distribution FAQs or subscribe to our Hunting eNews for the latest hunting information. February and April 2022 – CPW is conducting a survey of hunters to assess their perspectives about the topics listed above and holding focus groups to help inform the development of alternative strategies. The Big Game Attitude Survey will be mailed to randomly selected resident and nonresident hunters who will also have the opportunity to participate online if they prefer. May and June 2022 – CPW is hosting stakeholder workshops and public meetings to provide opportunities to review and discuss possible alternative strategies. September and November 2022 – The Parks and Wildlife Commission will consider proposed policy and regulatory changes with opportunities for further public comment.

For more information on hunting in Colorado, visit the CPW Hunt Big Game website

Steve1662

FNG
I did an OTC archery elk hunt in CO this year and received a call from a CPW office about 2 hours ago. The lady was conducting this survey. Will be interesting how this shakes out and impacts 2022.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Filled out survey. I don’t consider myself an overly educated person, but man those questions are worded in such a way you have to read them three times.

I’m hoping some limiting of NR will take place. Elk hunting here in CO is starting to feel like fishing reds on the Kenai.

sndmn11

WKR
Here is my "other" in the first section:
"I agree with this statement: leftover hunt codes (licenses) should only be available to those who applied for that same hunt code as one of their four choices at the April application. There should not be the ability for anyone who did not apply for a hunt code, to purchase that hunt code later on. "

I can't believe they haven't updated the 80/20 units. Government efficiency at its finest delaying it as long as possible for more revenue can't believe more residents aren't aware of how bad they are getting screwed by this

HOT ROD

WKR
Its should not be about me its about the resources of Colorado big game first then its residents second nonresidents third... I hope to burn my Colorado Elk and Deer points down there pretty soon any way. I had a deer tag this year and had to turn it back in because of a unseen event... Its pretty hard giving up elk hunting here in Wy though... Just my opinion but Wyoming take way better care of us residents than any other western state...

ColoradoV

WKR
I agree with Rod that Wyo has taken care of its residents better than any other western state.

Colorado is on the flip side of that coin and sticks it to residents almost to the point where you wonder why Colorado just hates us resident hunters so much... If $ is the issue I dont know of any resident hunter that would baulk at triple the price for both resident and non resident hunters. Or 150 usd for a elk license is totally fair and non residents will pay.

Go with a 85-15 split of all tags and we are getting closer to fair for resident hunters. Then do away with otc and anytime you hunt any elk you use all your points. Poof point creep for elk is managed... Once the wolves show up we all know that allocations for elk will enviably need to change as the big dogs will likely bring the end to otc if we do not act proactively...

Yea Rod sometimes I wish my grandfather stayed in the Alpine area and ran his still instead of moving down to Aspen in the late 30's to mine coal.. Fair to say since then Colorado went one way Wyo went another.....

sndmn11

WKR
Revenue $ only matter if RESIDENTS continue to accept a severely inflated spending budget. If CPW thrived (even back to CDOW) on a much smaller budget in the past, there is no reason it couldn't again.

I hope residents don't volunteer to pay higher prices while advocating for a better res/non split. I sure don't want to pay more.

ColoradoV

WKR
I will pay as well $150 for a elk tag no worries! Heck took the kids and wife out to dinner down in the chitty a couple weeks ago and it seems a nice steak dinner for the family with 2 drinks is well north of that price point...

Revenue $ only matter if RESIDENTS continue to accept a severely inflated spending budget. If CPW thrived (even back to CDOW) on a much smaller budget in the past, there is no reason it couldn't again.

I hope residents don't volunteer to pay higher prices while advocating for a better res/non split. I sure don't want to pay more.
DOW didn't have budget issues until they were merged with parks and had to take on that money losing hemorrhage

I would happily pay more for my resident tags to reduce the percentage given to nonresidents.

What's an elk tag $50? Many of us happily throw more than that at several different states just to apply or buy a preference point.

And bring back the requirements to front the tag fees when you apply, especially for moose, goat, and sheep. Make people have some skin in the game!

OP
cnelk

cnelk

WKR
"I agree with this statement: leftover hunt codes (licenses) should only be available to those who applied for that same hunt code as one of their four choices at the April application. There should not be the ability for anyone who did not apply for a hunt code, to purchase that hunt code later on. "

"I agree with this statement: Reissue/leftover hunt codes (licenses) should only be available to RESIDENTS"

I fixed it for ya ;)