CPW 2023 Draw Stats are out

The big increase of first choice applicants seems to indicate that people are tired of waiting and are dumping their points.

This is actually a good thing. If this keeps up for a few years it will knock out a lot of higher point holders. Quick glance at the draw stats shows a fair amount of people in the 12-20 point range dumping them on hunts that can be had for much less.

OP
cnelk

cnelk

WKR
The big increase of first choice applicants seems to indicate that people are tired of waiting and are dumping their points.

This is actually a good thing. If this keeps up for a few years it will knock out a lot of higher point holders. Quick glance at the draw stats shows a fair amount of people in the 12-20 point range dumping them on hunts that can be had for much less.

Nah.
It’s NonRes using their PPs before tag allotment goes to 75:25

LFC911

WKR
You'll see some really crazy stuff if you dig into the Draw Recap.

I saw someone that used 10 PPs on a tag that was 50% in the 2nd Choice
EM011o1r two guys burned 18 pps and another guy burned 13 on a tag that was over 50% second choice

sndmn11

WKR
You guys are assuming that every person who uses points is a regular hunter with any sort of plan.

I'd bet a fair amount of high point holders are people who don't hunt regularly or at all, or think they have to apply every year or they lose them. I'd bet too that there are folks who used excessive points on a hunt code that didn't even realize points were a thing. I've talked to many folks over the years who think CO draws randomly so they apply for the cool hunt codes, then unknowingly change their mind to something else that takes much less points than they have accrued.

ckleeves

WKR
EM011o1r two guys burned 18 pps and another guy burned 13 on a tag that was over 50% second choice
I’m betting those were fat fingered unit 1 or 10 apps… who knows, there isn’t a first season hunt in either of those but nothing surprises me.

I do somewhat get the wild point burning at least a little bit. For non-res no man’s land is pretty easy to find yourself in, I’m blown away at how many points some non res tags have crept to. With the quality of hunt your getting for 18+ points I wouldn’t place a whole lot of value on them either. Burn them and move on.

The non-res who have banked a ton of deer points are the ones who will really question that decision to save more then about 3 after they get to experience what a 20 point deer hunt looks like in Co these days.

The people who spent their points are hunting. At the end of the day that is what matters.

There are big animals in every Colorado unit west of I-25. A 300" bull is big. A 170" mule deer is big. 350"+ bulls and 200"+ bucks are out there but it is definitely not the norm.

A lot of the hunters with top preference points end up eating their tag because the pressure to kill a "giant" gets to them. They pass on a "small bull" looking for their "giant", can't turn up said "giant" and ultimately were unable to get back on the "small bull". Eating tag after 20+ years of waiting has got to leave a horrible taste in your mouth.

A 270 class 6x6 and a 150" 4x4 with eye guards look really big hanging on a wall in your house! Your lime green license doesn't make good wall decor. If you truly want to hold out for that giant then by all means but don't feel bad for shooting a "small" animal.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I could see dumping my 19 or 20 deer points on a 1 point hunt.......just to get rid of them. Especially if I found a really nice buck in that 1 point unit.

Some changes this year made for some surprising results.. Don't think things will stay that way once people look over the results prior to next year unfortunately.

Titan_Bow

WKR
I'm really frustrated, because the unit I have been applying requires one more point each year. And thats one point more than I have.. So I didnt draw with 9 points this year, but last year 9 drew 100%, previous year 8 drew 100%. Hoping next year 10 will draw 100% and I can finally get out of the point game LOL

I'm really frustrated, because the unit I have been applying requires one more point each year. And thats one point more than I have.. So I didnt draw with 9 points this year, but last year 9 drew 100%, previous year 8 drew 100%. Hoping next year 10 will draw 100% and I can finally get out of the point game LOL
The joys of point creep. Got to love it!

A 270 class 6x6 and a 150" 4x4 with eye guards look really big hanging on a wall in your house! Your lime green license doesn't make good wall decor. If you truly want to hold out for that giant then by all means but don't feel bad for shooting a "small" animal.

Here i've been saving all my tags thinking someday they might be a good man cave wallpaper or top of a work bench or something..

Everyone wants something different out of hunting. Eating tags doesn't bother me much. I'd be more disappointed with myself for shooting a dink if the freezer is already stocked. Only so much room for elk racks in most houses and not everyone's wife wants to eat elk/venison 3 times a week..

Here i've been saving all my tags thinking someday they might be a good man cave wallpaper or top of a work bench or something..

Everyone wants something different out of hunting. Eating tags doesn't bother me much. I'd be more disappointed with myself for shooting a dink if the freezer is already stocked. Only so much room for elk racks in most houses and not everyone's wife wants to eat elk/venison 3 times a week..
True. But I'd wager 75% of the top point holders have never killed an elk. I would continue that with saying 35% have never hunted Colorado before, they just knew that they wanted to one day. So for those people is where my post was directed.

I pulled those numbers out of my ass but they have got to be close.

11boo

WKR
True. But I'd wager 75% of the top point holders have never killed an elk. I would continue that with saying 35% have never hunted Colorado before, they just knew that they wanted to one day. So for those people is where my post was directed.

I pulled those numbers out of my ass but they have got to be close.
You know, there are more than a few who simply buy points to say they are in the game. Big talk around the Keurig .
I’m not sure how far off your smelly numbers are.

Patriot2

Lil-Rokslider
I didn't draw an elk tag for Colorado - point creep was two points over last years so my buddy and I came up one point short again. I guess I gotta lower my sights. Gonna need to devise a Plan B I guess.......