Coyote Hunting - Seated Front Rest Options

Looking to do some coyote hunting in the next few months and wondering what options I should consider for a front rest for seated positions. I'll shoot with my Tikka this year but in the future will probably want the ability to switch between bolt and AR platforms. Here's what I've looked at so far. Any recommendations?

• Swagger Bipod - looks like a great dedicated predator hunting option, but not easily transferrable between guns.
  • Spartan Javelin 42" Legs - already have the Javelin and adapters on a few guns, not sure how steady the whole system is compared to the swagger. Expensive.
  • Spartan Springbok - looks to be brand new, might be a happy medium between the javelin with 42" legs and the swagger
  • Wiser Precision Quick-Stix - not as easily adjusted but could use for more types of hunting

Tbone26

FNG
Daytime or nighttime? Bipods may work better if your hunting day time and closer quarters, otherwise I would recommend a tripod. I like RRS otherwise I have found the vortex radian to be a more cost effective option and the warranty is good peace of mind. All of my rifles are arca compatible. FWIW, I am primarily a night hunter.

Ibex

FNG
I prefer swagger stalker bipod. Easy on and off and easy to transfer to a different gun.

I’ve got a primos trigger stick with a Spartan davros head that works pretty slick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Duh

WKR
I have the swagger hunter 42 and like it for the most part. It’s super versatile and easy to adjust and set up in a variety of positions/terrain. I don’t mind the added weight and it’s not a pain to carry when carrying the gun on a sling.

I do have some complaints about it though. The first thing that I wish was better is the locking nut/screw on the legs. I get set up and put a bit of pressure on the legs then have them retract sometimes. You gotta make sure those things are clamped down pretty good.

The second thing is the spikes could be longer and more pointed. They don’t do that great catching traction on the icy snow.

Other than that, I like the bipod. I can even shoot it prone, which some people say you can’t. It’s been solid enough for me to make hits on rocks out to 730ish and in, just get the legs dug in good.

It’s pretty easy to swap from gun to gun too. No more time consuming than a Harris bipod. They make a pair of shooting sticks that aren’t half bad either. They’re cheap and offer a decent amount of stability along with adjustability.

Here’s both for reference.

Attachments

• IMG_7002.jpeg
    IMG_7002.jpeg
    601.7 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_6801.jpeg
    IMG_6801.jpeg
    553.8 KB · Views: 31
I really dig my spartan sentinel tripod, but I usually use it as a tall bipod and use the third leg as a monopod for my binos.

ddowning

Lil-Rokslider
How far do you want to shoot off of said support? There is a tradeoff between maneuverability, weight, and stability.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Spartan long legs for me. Get used to creating a seated position using proper body mechanics to support. Legs, hips, core, and breathing are the key.

Add a backpack into the mix for long range seated shots (past 400ish yards for me depending on shot angle).

I have the swagger hunter 42 and like it for the most part. It’s super versatile and easy to adjust and set up in a variety of positions/terrain. I don’t mind the added weight and it’s not a pain to carry when carrying the gun on a sling.

I do have some complaints about it though. The first thing that I wish was better is the locking nut/screw on the legs. I get set up and put a bit of pressure on the legs then have them retract sometimes. You gotta make sure those things are clamped down pretty good.

The second thing is the spikes could be longer and more pointed. They don’t do that great catching traction on the icy snow.

Other than that, I like the bipod. I can even shoot it prone, which some people say you can’t. It’s been solid enough for me to make hits on rocks out to 730ish and in, just get the legs dug in good.

It’s pretty easy to swap from gun to gun too. No more time consuming than a Harris bipod. They make a pair of shooting sticks that aren’t half bad either. They’re cheap and offer a decent amount of stability along with adjustability.

Here’s both for reference.
+1 on the swagger, clips on quick to a pic rail and tons of movement in the top of it for shots at many angles.

Reactions: Duh
OP
SteveAndTheCrigBoys
How far do you want to shoot off of said support? There is a tradeoff between maneuverability, weight, and stability.
This would be dedicated to predator hunting, so probably no further than 300. I have a Spartan pro hunt with the "long" legs for other types of hunting where I'm more likely to be shooting prone. Not nearly long enough for seated shots.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
This would be dedicated to predator hunting, so probably no further than 300. I have a Spartan pro hunt with the "long" legs for other types of hunting where I'm more likely to be shooting prone. Not nearly long enough for seated shots.
They make actual long legs and sell them individually. Their “long” regular bipod is for prone like you said. You want these legs if going that route…

IMG_5513.jpeg

OP
SteveAndTheCrigBoys
They make actual long legs and sell them individually. Their “long” regular bipod is for prone like you said. You want these legs if going that route…
Yep, my problem with that is they're $130 per leg.

I like that the swagger hunter stores the legs within the body on the rifle. None of the other options have that feature. That convenience factor might push me in that direction.

Duh

WKR
The Spartans still don’t seem long enough for stands where you’re set up on a steep incline. That’s where the swagger shines IMO. If hunting flat ground I could see the Spartans working well but that’s not always the case.

I think the Hatch would give you a bit more length though.

ddowning

Lil-Rokslider
For 300 and in, crossed trekking poles will work. So will shooting sticks, swagger, and Harris. Back in the day, Dan Thompson would shoot them further than that from a sitting position with no artificial support. If you want to be really solid, a pretty light tripod with a ball head or inverted ball head would be the cat's meow. The lighter tripods get pretty wobbly when you get much above a sitting or low kneeling position and are quite a bit heavier than a set of sticks.

OP
SteveAndTheCrigBoys
The Wiser Precision quick stix option is definitely the cheapest. It might be worth giving those a go and if I don't like them for coyote hunting, I can at least keep them for other big game hunting.

Reactions: Duh