Coyote/deer rifle

craigrh13

FNG
Mainly for coyotes but I am looking to setup a rifle. I’m set on either 6mm creedmoor or 6.5mm creedmoor. Yeah yeah I know. It’s just I can get ammo for them all day long and they will do everything I want them to do. My question is this.

Tikka T3 or Ruger American Predator. The Tikka is more than twice the price but is it worth it? I will not be shooting high volumes through it. I have a Ruger American in 350 Legend that has been great. The Tikka intrigues me though.

I love my Tikka rifles, every one of them has been a solid rifle. That said, I bought my daughter a Ruger American in 6mm Creedmoor and broke it in last weekend. I only shot 15 times cause it was getting hot out and I was tired of the morons shooting next to me but that gun shot incredibly well. I tried 4 different factory loads and every one of them was under an inch. Very impressive.

BFR

WKR
With the criteria you laid out it’s a kind of Coke or Pepsi thing. Get the one that feels best to you, they will both do the job. If it was me, out of the 2 listed I’d go with the Tikka but then I do a lot of shooting. However when I bought my last rifle I ended up with a Bergara, just felt better.

MikeDeltaFoxtrot

Lil-Rokslider
I have heard mixed reviews on Ruger American rifles for accuracy, but I am not familiar with the exact model you mentioned. My experience with the Tikka T3X is that it is amazingly accurate for what it costs. I would go that way if I were you.

Also, consider what features you want in the rifle. It is always cheaper to buy it from the factory the way you want it verses modifying it later. Threaded barrel? Ceracoat? Anything else? The T3X Lite Veil is a great value.

As to the cartridge, I am glad to know that you can get 6.5CM ammo all day long. I have found it very difficult to find for the last year. In contrast, .308 Winchester is readily available everywhere.

Spoonbill

WKR
Mainly for coyotes but I am looking to setup a rifle. I’m set on either 6mm creedmoor or 6.5mm creedmoor. Yeah yeah I know. It’s just I can get ammo for them all day long and they will do everything I want them to do. My question is this.

Tikka T3 or Ruger American Predator. The Tikka is more than twice the price but is it worth it? I will not be shooting high volumes through it. I have a Ruger American in 350 Legend that has been great. The Tikka intrigues me though.
I have both and I prefer Tikkas by a large margin. The stock and magazines on a Tikka are better. If you haven’t had a chance, handle a Tikka and compare it to your Ruger.

OP
C

craigrh13

FNG
I have both and I prefer Tikkas by a large margin. The stock and magazines on a Tikka are better. If you haven’t had a chance, handle a Tikka and compare it to your Ruger.

looks like a T3 lite is only about 300-400 more. I don’t need anything fancy. The first one I seen was running about 1100. If I can get into one for 800-900 I would definitely lean hard that way.