Cost to reload a .223 in the current market

ztc92

Lil-Rokslider
Hey All,

I've reloaded for blackpowder cartridge rifles in the past but have never reloaded smokeless powder before as I've always just bought factory ammo for my bolt guns. Well given the current shortage, I spent the last few weeks teaching myself the steps of reloading for modern smokeless rifles and finally got around to loading up some ammo for my Tikka .223 today. I was curious what these reloads cost me relative to the factory ammo that I usually buy, so I ran the numbers and thought I'd share them here since I suspect there are others here that are considering getting into reloading but may be discouraged by the high cost of components. The punchline (as least for my .223) is that for me it is considerably cheaper to reload, even with the increased costs of components, as long as you view it as a hobby and don't factor in the cost of your time.

I was fortunate to score some of the mythical 77g TMK's (factory seconds with a cannelure) via Midway USA last year, which was the primary reason I wanted to get into reloading for my .223. My TIkka also really likes the Hornady Frontier 75g BTHP but at ~$18/box its pretty expensive practice ammo, so decided to make my own version of this for the range.

Obviously reloading has a lot of up-front cost to get the equipment, but I was fortunate to have most of what I needed from my blackpowder days. For those curious, I did run the numbers at current prices to see what the up front cost would be today. For a very basic set up (single stage press, hand-scale), I think you're looking at around $300 for the necessary equipment. For a nicer set-up with a turret press and an electronic combined powder measure/scale (the only way to go in my opinion), you're probably looking at more like $750 for everything. If we use that figure ($750) and assume that equipment will be used to reload 5000 rounds, that adds a cost of about $0.15 / round.

As for components, I bought everything I'm using in the past 6 months and if anything prices have slightly improved since I made some of these purchases. Here is my rough cost breakdown:

- Primers: CCI BR-4, Small Rifle Primers - $120 / 1000 = $0.12 / primer.

- Powder: TAC - $31 / pound (7000 grains), which for my loads of ~24 grains, provides about 292 loads = $0.11 / load.

- Cases: Mix of Hornady Frontier cases I shot last year and some I picked up at the range = Free

- Bullets:
* Hornady 75g BTHP - $25 / 100 = $0.25 / bullet
* 77g TMK (Factory Seconds) - $32 / 100 = $0.32 / bullet

To put that in perspective, I was paying $18/box for Hornady Frontier 75g BTHP last year, which is $0.90 / round. My 75g BTHP reloads cost me about $0.48 / round. Cost difference for 1000 rounds (my goal for this year) is $420. The 77g TMK's are where it really starts to pay off. When they are available lately, they seem to cost around $1.50-$2 / round, whereas my cost (albeit with factory seconds) is about $0.55 / round, about 1/3 the cost.

I'd always heard it was foolish to reload for the .223 because ammo is so affordable and I actually think that's true if you're buying cheap 55g and 62g surplus ammo. However, when it comes to getting ammo that actually shoots well in bolt guns to use for longer range practice or hunting, I think reloading still makes sense right now despite with the high prices of components.

Unckebob

WKR
I started reloading 223 because my range does not allow FMJ bullets. That, means no cheap ball ammo for me. Rather than fire expensive hunting loads, I get cheap BTHP bullets and reload with them

Wrench

WKR
My pard and I are considering a mk7 to keep the 223's fed. This would take a while to square up, but the thing is putting along when slowed to 1300rph.

Lawnboi

WKR
Smart shopping will save you even more.

Tac can be had around $28 a pound now
75 bthp can be found around 20 a box
Primers can be had for $90 per 1000
Quality brass will go 10 plus loads in a bolt gun, and you won’t have to deal with the primer crimp.

I’d agree that part of the good about 223 is that it’s dirt cheap to load.

Last edited:

JD Jones

WKR
Even if it cost a little more it’s worth it to have the flexibility in bullet/powder/primer options and the knowledge is something that can’t be taken away

There should be no issue finding ammo that shoots sufficiently for shorter range practice for 60-70 cents/round right now. IMO your time has to be worth very little or precision requirements pretty high to justify loading short range practice ammo at current component prices. ADI with sierra blitzkings is 60 cents right now, 69 SMks 65 cents, frontier 75 hpbt 66 cents, AAC 75 hpbt for 60 cents.

No debate from me when it comes to loading ammo with 77 TMK or 75 ELDs, the cost gap becomes much larger and the freedom to load higher quality ammo is definitely worthy. Also acknowledge if the novelty of load dev and tinkering hasn't yet worn off, loading time can actually be enjoyable.

Last edited:
you're shooting volume for the purpose of killing paper or hearing the ring of steel, it doesn't make much sense to reload. If you're competing, i'd say you'd want consistency you'll get from reloading

That said I have a 5 gallon bucket full of LC brass ready for the day I build a bolt action 223

grfox92

WKR
you're shooting volume for the purpose of killing paper or hearing the ring of steel, it doesn't make much sense to reload. If you're competing, i'd say you'd want consistency you'll get from reloading

That said I have a 5 gallon bucket full of LC brass ready for the day I build a bolt action 223
Is that 5.56 or .223? When you reload, can you turn 5.56 into .223? Sounds simple but I just dont know. I just know you CAN shoot .223 out of a 5.56 but CAN NOT shoot 5.56 out of a .223? At least that's what I've been told.

Sent from my SM-G990U using Tapatalk

my tikka 223 eats 556 ammo just fine. I was able to lock in some components locally, my next 4k rounds of 75 bthp will cost .40 each, and 1k with the 77 TMKs more like .60. reloading ball powder and the progressive press the time won't be too big of a deal, I can do 300 rounds and hour pretty easily. I need something to do on rainy days anyhow.

Is that 5.56 or .223? When you reload, can you turn 5.56 into .223? Sounds simple but I just dont know. I just know you CAN shoot .223 out of a 5.56 but CAN NOT shoot 5.56 out of a .223? At least that's what I've been told.

I'm using 223 dies and it sizes 5.56 brass to 223 dimensions so there are no worries with that

grfox92

WKR
I'm using 223 dies and it sizes 5.56 brass to 223 dimensions so there are no worries with that
Ok cool. I have a couple hundred bulk 5.56 brass and was wondering if I should hold on to it. I will eventually build a .223 so I'll keep it, thanks.

223 and 556 use the same brass in many cases and spec is the same dimensionally. Only difference between the two is 556 has larger freebore/throat and is spec'd at a higher pressure.

556 in 223 will likely exceed SAAMI max pressure but CIP (the euro equivalent) specs bassicaly 556 pressures for 223 anyway. That said, a 223 chamber will develop higher pressures.

At the end of the day, I'm not worried about shooting 556 in a 223 bolt gun. If there are pressure signs consistently i'd reconsider but if it shoots well I'd not worry about it but to each their own.

So far, just AAC 75 hpbt 556 is a little sticky on bolt lift in my 223 tikka.

OP
Z

ztc92

Lil-Rokslider

Agree with others, I shoot 556 in my Tikka bolt .223 with no issues.

One other thing I learned through this process is how fun it can be to prep the once fired 556 or bulk .223 brass because manufacturers often use crimped primers. You’ll quickly find your primers won’t seat and so to reload those cases you’ll have to ream out the primer pocket on them first.

Lawnboi

WKR
Agree with others, I shoot 556 in my Tikka bolt .223 with no issues.

One other thing I learned through this process is how fun it can be to prep the once fired 556 or bulk .223 brass because manufacturers often use crimped primers. You’ll quickly find your primers won’t seat and so to reload those cases you’ll have to ream out the primer pocket on them first.
Yea I did that too when I first started loading. I don’t remove primer crimps anymore. I just put that brass in the recycling bucket.

With what 223 brass cost, even the good stuff, and the number of firings you can get from it, I see no reason to save 5 cents a shot and spend hours on the bench shaving primer pockets out.

Check out Rocky Mountain Reloading. They make a 75g bullet that is no more than 17 cents that should work good for you. I’ve been going to order some of their 69s but already have so many Sierras I haven’t needed them yet.

TX_Diver

WKR
Midway has factory seconds for .18/pc right now. Consensus is that they are 77gr SMKs.

They also have 140 & 147 ELD-Ms and 143 ELD-X seconds (based on the reviews).

JJ3

FNG
I’ve loaded for a little over a decade and it’s been the same the whole time. It costs half as much to load so I shoot twice as much. All components equal I net zero savings.

NRA4LIFE

WKR
One thing I would suggest if you're decapping a bunch of crimped primer 556 military cases is to get a heavy duty decapping die. I was sick and tired of breaking pins so I invested in the Might Armor decapping die. Not a broken one yet after 2K+ rounds. These things are solid.

JJ3

FNG
One thing I would suggest if you're decapping a bunch of crimped primer 556 military cases is to get a heavy duty decapping die. I was sick and tired of breaking pins so I invested in the Might Armor decapping die. Not a broken one yet after 2K+ rounds. These things are solid.
God call...another is the RCBS crimp cutter chucked up in a drill. That was a game changer for me on LC brass