Copper fouling.

TheJuice

WKR
How fast does your barrel copper foul.

I've got a T3 Hunter in 30-06 that has a 100 rounds of factory shot. Then another 200 rounds of hand loads once I got the equipment.
I followed some break-in procedures that I had read somewhere when I first got it. But it has always taken a lot of patches to clean.
The gun had always preferred 150s over the heavier bullets.
A week ago, I ran across www.ballisticstudies.com in another post, and read a post on barrel break-in.
Being partially color blind, I never noticed much color on the rifling at the muzzle. Well, I show it to my daughter, and she could see the copper clearly.
I proceeded to clean the copper out, and decided to load up some 180 A-MAX loads, looking for a heavier Elk round.
Yesterday, I went to the range with my 180's and a half box of Nosler Custom 165 AB to use as foulers, since it never liked these anyway.
I'll be danged, if this gun didn't shoot one of my better groups ever! The fifth shot was the flyer. I think I pulled it, aiming at the blue tape holding my target. Did not have a true Bullseye to aim at.
IMG_20150127_150245869[1].jpg
The next (5) 3 shot groups of A-MAX were inside an inch.
I shot total of 32 rounds in 1.5 hours. An inspection of the muzzle showed the rifling full of copper.
I understand that all barrels are not created equal and that this is a mass produced gun. What, if anything, can I do to smooth out this barrel (with out losing accuracy), so that it does not collect copper so fast?
When it's clean, it's a shooter.
Is this normal?
How many rounds does your gun go before copper builds up like that?

Last edited:

GKPrice

Banned
Each and every barrel is different, and will shoot AND foul differently - As well, different brands of bullets are made with differing metallurgic compositions so you can't compare "apples to apples" most of the time - another thing that Barnes, for one, has always subscribed to is that you can't "mix" brands during load testing as different bullet or jacket materials will not "mix" in the barrel (fouling) consistently ... one bullet brand or composition at a time then clean completely before moving on to the next brand - "gilding" metal is an alloy mix and won't normally foul as badly as copper bullets but you never know what the fouling will do when you mix them in the bore as "fouling" - "Factory" ammo/bullets foul just as readily as hand loads do