coon population problems?

jruff002

Lil-Rokslider
anyone on here in AR/MO/KS/IA over ran with coons that have sizeable place(s) to hunt? I have the hound to remove them easily and would love to do a coon trip to boost your turkey population and have fun helping

sneaky

"DADDY"
Only way to effectively cut coon numbers is by trapping. Coon market tanked and not many people are targeting them now. Every bit of effort helps though.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

OP
J

jruff002

Lil-Rokslider
Only way to effectively cut coon numbers is by trapping. Coon market tanked and not many people are targeting them now. Every bit of effort helps though.

many people believe this but that's not true. You take a good layup dog and mix in a Husqvarna, you can do more work in a night than a trapper can in a month. I'm a houndsman by heart so cutting down den trees isn't what i'm really looking for, but we have done it. The legendary o'l man coon hunter i hunted with til he was about 84 was a logger, when hides were high he'd take his hound (always had a great hound and same bloodline from the 60's) and cut his dog in the morning when he got to his jobsite. His hound would tree a den somewhere and he'd cut it down and get the coon. He had 12 kids and hides were high, he said he made about as much money off hides as he did logging.

WCB

WKR
many people believe this but that's not true. You take a good layup dog and mix in a Husqvarna, you can do more work in a night than a trapper can in a month. I'm a houndsman by heart so cutting down den trees isn't what i'm really looking for, but we have done it. The legendary o'l man coon hunter i hunted with til he was about 84 was a logger, when hides were high he'd take his hound (always had a great hound and same bloodline from the 60's) and cut his dog in the morning when he got to his jobsite. His hound would tree a den somewhere and he'd cut it down and get the coon. He had 12 kids and hides were high, he said he made about as much money off hides as he did logging.
? you know some shitty trappers then...

TreeWalking

Lil-Rokslider
I trapped a lot of raccoons when fur was around $30 a stretched pelt in the 1970s. I had a lot of success with a leg hold trap set at a "cave" I made at waterline on creeks using my boot to kick into the bank of the creek. I would use a twig cut so a fork remained and punch the long end of the fork through very fresh fish and jab that into the back of the cave. Mink and racoon would have to reach into the cave and I would catch the opposite foot as they stretched into the cave. Cold weather could create issues but sometimes I brought clean, dry dirt to filter over the trap's pan plus added a layer of dry leaves. Had to change the bait every couple of days or would start to get skunks and possums.

sneaky

"DADDY"
What's your best season take wise then? Because I know guys who can catch over a thousand coons in just a few weeks and they ain't cutting trees or expending much effort. I think you've been eating the wrong mushrooms in the woods.

OP
J

jruff002

Lil-Rokslider
What's your best season take wise then? Because I know guys who can catch over a thousand coons in just a few weeks and they ain't cutting trees or expending much effort. I think you've been eating the wrong mushrooms in the woods.

That’s pretty funny cuz there’s prolly not even 1000 coons in the whole county where I live. I don’t try to kill them all unless a new landowner once them all shot. I save them for a young dog that’s newly started. South of us my friends go when they open up a wma for a month to coon hunt them guys kill anywhere from 10-30 a night and only shooting one per tree. Hounds man are in it for the sport not to brag on how many coons they could harvest in a night and it’s a lot of fun for the few of us left that like to hear a race over coffee. And I know one of the best trappers in my state that traps for a living mostly coyote for pens and he’d laugh at this conversation if someone asked if they thought he could trap more coons off say a 500 acre piece in a night than a man with a good hound solely intent to get every one his dog put up. Unless you know a great hounds man which obviously you’ve haven’t had a great dog yourself or we wouldn’t be having this talk, you’ve been eating the wrong shrooms. For me, it was morels last week.

Man I don't know...I grew up hunting behind hounds, and some pretty good ones at that. I have access to a lot of property, and I know if I set 3 dog proof traps near a feeder I'm gonna have 2 or 3 coons at that feeder the next morning. If I do that at every feeder on the place, that's a lot of coons. I know we're straying from the original topic lol, but for sheer numbers and reduction of numbers I can trap more than I can tree with dogs in a night for sure. With that said, good luck and I hope somebody takes you up on it. I miss it, and like you said not many folks do it anymore.

sneaky

"DADDY"
That’s pretty funny cuz there’s prolly not even 1000 coons in the whole county where I live. I don’t try to kill them all unless a new landowner once them all shot. I save them for a young dog that’s newly started. South of us my friends go when they open up a wma for a month to coon hunt them guys kill anywhere from 10-30 a night and only shooting one per tree. Hounds man are in it for the sport not to brag on how many coons they could harvest in a night and it’s a lot of fun for the few of us left that like to hear a race over coffee. And I know one of the best trappers in my state that traps for a living mostly coyote for pens and he’d laugh at this conversation if someone asked if they thought he could trap more coons off say a 500 acre piece in a night than a man with a good hound solely intent to get every one his dog put up. Unless you know a great hounds man which obviously you’ve haven’t had a great dog yourself or we wouldn’t be having this talk, you’ve been eating the wrong shrooms. For me, it was morels last week.
I hate mushrooms and I could care less how many coons you have in your entire county. Run your dogs all you want on those 500 mythical acres. One good trapper can cover 10k acres in that same night from the comfort of his own bed, and let the traps do the work. I've been around some damn fine coon hounds and their owners. They'd laugh in your face thinking that one of them could put up more numbers than a trapper.

OP
J

jruff002

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve did pretty good some nights by roading hounds on remote backroads on WMAs. More so than walking behind them.
the old blood we had struck good out of truck, we'd do that in summer time when it was really hot. Actually a hound can strike better out of truck bed than on a dirt road (not to mention worst habit in world to road a dog cuz if you wanna cut them in the woods by road they run back to road and take off down it).

OP
J

jruff002

Lil-Rokslider
One word...thermal
they work good also, my buddy handles his own hound that he sold for $40K yes 40,000. Sold it to the guy and he keeps his hound and guy pays his entry fees for big hunts, anyways buyer bought handler like a very high end thermal for the big $$ hunts. couple weeks ago she was treed in giant tree top of 3 cedars you couldn't have seen a white elephant in, walked up w/thermal and 2 seconds goes there it is. Took us 2-3 mins just to confirm a fur patch after knowing exactly where it was. Pretty cool also cuz some den trees you can see the heat coming out the whole to confirm your dog ain't lying

I hate mushrooms and I could care less how many coons you have in your entire county. Run your dogs all you want on those 500 mythical acres. One good trapper can cover 10k acres in that same night from the comfort of his own bed, and let the traps do the work. I've been around some damn fine coon hounds and their owners. They'd laugh in your face thinking that one of them could put up more numbers than a trapper.

Why are you being such a dick? All he asked was if someone had a place they would allow him to catch some trash pandas with his dog.
Did he insult you with the trapping thing? Hurt your little feelers?
Geezus let up man.

OP
J

jruff002

Lil-Rokslider
Why are you being such a dick? All he asked was if someone had a place they would allow him to catch some trash pandas with his dog.
Did he insult you with the trapping thing? Hurt your little feelers?
Geezus let up man.
appreciate that, those type are everywhere. To each his own but my momma raised me right.

Preston

Lil-Rokslider
they work good also, my buddy handles his own hound that he sold for $40K yes 40,000. Sold it to the guy and he keeps his hound and guy pays his entry fees for big hunts, anyways buyer bought handler like a very high end thermal for the big $$ hunts. couple weeks ago she was treed in giant tree top of 3 cedars you couldn't have seen a white elephant in, walked up w/thermal and 2 seconds goes there it is. Took us 2-3 mins just to confirm a fur patch after knowing exactly where it was. Pretty cool also cuz some den trees you can see the heat coming out the whole to confirm your dog ain't lying
I bet it was a possum, haha couldn’t resist.

OP
J

jruff002

Lil-Rokslider
I bet it was a possum, haha couldn’t resist.
Lol no I could see rings when I went around tree. He would melt if it would have been cuz he had a big truck hunt that coming weekend. She ain’t flashy but she’s a coon dog that always get by herself and parked under one and just a flat out winner.