Coolers

HbDane

WKR
Sorry if I missed a post that mentioned it, but BigFrig is a great cooler company as well and worth a look.

92xj

WKR
Just got rid of all my roto molded coolers, mainly Rtic, and replaced with a rugged road outdoors. I was tired and maybe I’m a wimp, but I don’t enjoy the added weight of the rotos anymore. The rugged road is crazy light for what you get. Looking forward testing it out more this summer with boat adventure weekends and camping.

tdvxrdob

FNG
Im not sure if Ozark makes one that big, but I got their 20qt and like it just as much as my Yeti 45

eddielasvegas

WKR & Chairman of the Rokslide Welcoming Committee
Classified Approved
Just got rid of all my roto molded coolers, mainly Rtic, and replaced with a rugged road outdoors. I was tired and maybe I’m a wimp, but I don’t enjoy the added weight of the rotos anymore. The rugged road is crazy light for what you get. Looking forward testing it out more this summer with boat adventure weekends and camping.
Never heard of these coolers so thanks for your post.

They say 7 days ice retention so curious if that is accurate in the real world.

Eddie

92xj

WKR
Never heard of these coolers so thanks for your post.

They say 7 days ice retention so curious if that is accurate in the real world.

Eddie
Depends on how you test. If the cooler is full of ice and you never open the lid, it’ll last 7 days. But my Coleman extremes also do that as well as the rtic. If you’re in and out all the time, days come off the 7. My father has been using one in florida for the past year. He compares it to equal of his rtic that he has got rid of since the rugged matches in performance and a third of the weight. Win win.

TSAMP

WKR
Depends on how you test. If the cooler is full of ice and you never open the lid, it’ll last 7 days. But my Coleman extremes also do that as well as the rtic. If you’re in and out all the time, days come off the 7. My father has been using one in florida for the past year. He compares it to equal of his rtic that he has got rid of since the rugged matches in performance and a third of the weight. Win win.
Plus they actually look cheap. So theft deterrent. Compared to the fancy ones. I'm intrigued

92xj

WKR
Plus they actually look cheap. So theft deterrent. Compared to the fancy ones. I'm intrigued
Ha. True.

I’m for sure not trying to convince anyone they should buy one or that they are the greatest thing ever. I’m just saying for me, I’m really enjoying the cooler and going to buy a second one at their next scratch and dent sale. I just love how stupid Light they are compared to what I’ve been using for years and years and also no decrease in cooling performance within my scenarios of use.

NRA4LIFE

WKR
I would buy 2 Lifetime 77s. I can't use my 100+ as I hunt solo quite a bit and I cannot even move them if they're full. I use my Lifetimes to store ice inside my truck in the summer when we're crabbing/fishing. They retain ice like nothing I've ever known and have seen tests where they retain better than Yeti.

Now that you've had the cooler a little while, how are you liking the cordova?

Can't speak for AZ, but I love all three of my Cordova coolers.

NUMBER ONE REASON? Made in the USA.

I love that they unlock/open from the top. If we have them jammed in the truck or boat, you can unlock even when up against the side wall.

The lid stays open with strong friction, so it isn't trying to smash your fingers and you don't have to open it again with your hands full of frozen food to load.

Last edited:
I've been happy with the Cabelas roto mold. I have a 80qt. It'll hold 2 quartered deer and all the trimmings. I only got it because I had a $350 gift card to Cabelas, so I basically got it for $50. I didn't 'need" it at the time I bought it but now its a staple on all family trips.

Bcoonce117

Lil-Rokslider
I use a white Coleman 150qt ice chest. I sealed off the “quick access” door in the lid. Put a refrigerator seal on the lid, changed out the latches to nice hold down latches. Next upgrade is going to be new handles. I also put a piece of reflectix over the top of everything before I close the lid. I feel like it helps. Also cover ice chest with a tarp or blanket/ keep in the shade and I’ve had Ice in it for 10+ days before. Temps 30s-high 60s

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Can't speak for AZ, but I love all three of my Cordova coolers.

NUMBER ONE REASON? Made in the USA.

I love that they unlock/open from the top. If we have them jammed in the truck or boat, you can unlock even when up against the side wall.

The lid stays open with strong friction, so it isn't trying to smash your fingers and you don't have to open it again with your hands full of frozen food to load.
I can speak for AZ, coolers in the bed of trucks 24/7 where in the summer, it sometimes only cools off to 90 as the overnight low. Last year we broke a record for most consecutive days over 110 degrees.

No coolers on the market hold ice as long as the Pelican Elite coolers. We’ve tried them all and still own several of a few different brands in various trucks/jeeps etc.

They are very expensive, and the drain plugs are prone to failure after heavy use. Other than that, they are the longest lasting coolers and have the best ice retention of any of them.

willidru

WKR
I was looking for large cooler (100+ quart) at one point also but the bulk and weight made me go to multiple 45- 65 quart coolers instead

I can speak for AZ, coolers in the bed of trucks 24/7 where in the summer, it sometimes only cools off to 90 as the overnight low. Last year we broke a record for most consecutive days over 110 degrees.

No coolers on the market hold ice as long as the Pelican Elite coolers. We’ve tried them all and still own several of a few different brands in various trucks/jeeps etc.

They are very expensive, and the drain plugs are prone to failure after heavy use. Other than that, they are the longest lasting coolers and have the best ice retention of any of them.

I was referencing Az Wildcat, but thanks for the info. I'd be interested to see an actual side by side. Top lock is worth 80% as good for me. It's such a great feature when your truck or boat is full of stuff. My guess is there is very little difference between Pelican and Cordova.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
I was referencing Az Wildcat, but thanks for the info. I'd be interested to see an actual side by side. Top lock is worth 80% as good for me. It's such a great feature when your truck or boat is full of stuff. My guess is there is very little difference between Pelican and Cordova.
Nice good to know. I haven’t tried a Cordova. I’ll order one and do an ice block/ice test on it next my one of my Pelican Elites.

BC97

FNG
+1 for RTIC. RTIC is probably Yeti’s top competitor and their primary advertising is being cheaper for basically the same product.

COElk85

FNG
RTIC now makes ultralight coolers (11 lbs lighter) and they sell them at WallyWorld for $199- 52 qt. Seem pretty durable..