Coolers are expensive: Funny Solution

kfrazier

FNG
Last September I was debating over the new advanced cooler products and the expense of purchasing a couple for my archery elk season. At the last minute I realized our freezer was nearly empty. The decision was made to just take the freezer. It kept ice for more days than I can count and we had the option of plugging it into a generator at the trail head if necessary. It got a lot of laughs and plenty of applause wherever I parked. Kind of funny looking. But, it worked really well. It extended our hunt an extra day because we didn't have to run the meat into town.

20150922_160648_resized.jpg

I see guys all the time that have a freezer at the truck camp. Nothing wrong with that. I would rather buy a nice honda generator than a high end cooler.

LostArra

WKR
great idea!

the weight of the freezer+meat didn't bend anything on the hitch hauler?

we may be doing that next season!

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
We got one that travels on occasion as well:

Priceless to be able to plug it in at the cabin and drop a whole caribou in for a few days while we head out to hunt for moose. I also like having it for backup during hunting season...if space gets tight in the three garage freezers I can plug the "traveler" in until I make room!

Redmech

FNG
Great thinking, could even pair this with a few coolers to freeze meat, and rotate to coolers to keep frozen while freezing other meat.

OP
K

kfrazier

FNG
great idea!

the weight of the freezer+meat didn't bend anything on the hitch hauler?

we may be doing that next season!

The hitch set up holds over 500 lbs. supposedly. The freezer doesn't even feel like it weigh 60lbs. One bull boned out was around 190lbs. Probably 80lbs of ice. Worked great!

blackdawg

WKR
I bought a freezer instead of cooler to carry frozen food out to camp with and the meat back home with. Plan on using it again this season and not having to worry about someone stealing an expensive Yeti.

I was planning on taking one of my 7.1 Cu FT freezers to elk hunting this year instead of buying more coolers. I thought I was clever.

Great minds think alike.

MAT

Lil-Rokslider
You can also take out the heavy compressor of a dead freezer and make it into a big dirt cheap cooler too.

Have a friend that has his own fiberglass fabrication business. He mad molds and made one even bigger than that. Just spray foamed the interior between the shells. It was great, and super light as it didn't have any of the electrical stuff. It was the size of a huge chest freezer.

Redneck Yeti

Last year I planned on hunting most of Sept so I made a "Redneck Yeti". I used thin plywood that was given to me, lined the box with 2" reflective sheet insulation and used my Coleman Marine cooler in the box. I kept it in the back of my Suburban (took up a lot or room!) and after 22 straight days, I still had about 50% of the ice. I freeze larger jugs as they last a lot longer than cubes. So I used the Redneck mostly to store ice and kept it closed except when I pulled out ice to replenish my fresh food coolers. Not sure I'll use it again but it was great and saved me running into town to get ice!
20150816_160347.jpg

Attachments

• 20150816_160347[1].jpg
    20150816_160347[1].jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 73
Last edited: