Cooking Pots

16Bore

WKR
Just picked up the Olicamp XTS to use with my SnoPeak Lite Max. Might try alcohol and see WTF too

This little deal with a ti 600 is kinda neat.

I found a cheap percolator at REI about three months ago that I use as a cooking pot for two folks or more. It has folding handles and a lid. It sits very well on my pocket rocket, but I bought it so I could warm up water or chow over a fire.

Recently I've been using an IMUSA mug from Wally-world, $5. They come in 2 sizes and are pretty darn light. Food seems to stick to the bare aluminum a little more than my old hard anodized Brunton aluminum pot though, so I'm not sure if I'll stick with it. Make yourself a lid from aluminum flashing, heavy tinfoil, or get one from this guy here https://www.minibulldesign.com/productcart/pc/viewCategories.asp?idCategory=10 or this guy here http://www.outdoortrailgear.com/cottage-industries/smokeeater908/smokeeater908-store/. Be careful, you might develop a nasty alcohol stove habit after visiting these sites.

4oz for the bigger one(12cm) and a lid.

As far as stoves go I'm still rockin the pocket rocket. If it aint broke don't fix it.

MSR Reactor 1.0. It is a bit on the heavy side but second to none on performance. There are some pots made with heat ring like the Jetboils. One of those with a Soto Windmaster would make a great combo.

Last edited:

Trr15

WKR
Snow peak gigapower and trek 700 here as well. Has worked great for me for the past 4 yrs or so. Have to admit that I am eyeing a jetboil or msr reactor though.

Some swear by the Ti some don't. I personally do not care for it at all. The Jetboil Sol Ti is prone for falling apart. I will carry an ounce or two extra for durability.

Last edited:
Thought I'd bring this one back up to see if anything has changed with you guys in the last 2 years. I am looking at the olicamp 1 liter, does anyone have experience with it? Also is the version with the heat sync worth it or is the regular pot sufficient?

The Oliecamp XTS has worked pretty well with every stove I have used it with. Off the top of my head that includes the MSR Pocket and Micro Rocket, the Soto ODR1 and Windmaster, Primus ETA Lite, Optimus Crux, and the Snowpeak Gigapower.

Teeton

Lil-Rokslider
I've been a backpacker for most of my life. I got this stove off ebay about 4 or 5 years ago for I think $9.99 with shipping. Here's the link to it.. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mini-Portab...61?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35d6a61f89k.. I now know of at least 5 guys using it now with zero problems.. As for a pot I got this pot again off ebay for I think $25 with shipping. Here's a link to it.. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fire-maple-...112?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item25813958d8 The stove fits nicely inside of the bottom of the heat exchanger when heating with the stoves outer pot holding legs folded inward.. It heats water fast and saves fuel and I've never needed a wind screen.. It works good at 11k too. It has more of a straight up flame than a wider flame but it works good with open bottom pots as well..

Ed

Last edited:

16Bore

WKR
Did a little test boil with my Olicamp. Just under 1 1/2oz of alcohol in a home made cat stove got 2 cups rolling in a whopping 10 minutes. Word of caution, the lid aint silicon and will melt if the flames get a little jumpy. No lid on it for about 7 minutes.

Teeton

Lil-Rokslider
I'm pretty sure that the fire maple and the olicamp are not meant for alcohol..They need a straight up type flame. The fire hole is only about 2.25 to 2.5 inches wide.. My beer can stove would put the flame on the bottom of the heat exchanger and not on the bottom of the pot with the flames shooting out to the exchanger fins.. Here is a link to a youtube test of the olicamp/fire maple pots. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBFt-c33pyA The point is not how fast is boils, but how many more boils u get out of a canister of fuel.. It just works for me.. How many more boils do you think I can get with this set up.

Ed

William Hanson (live2hunt)

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm pretty sure that the fire maple and the olicamp are not meant for alcohol..They need a straight up type flame. The fire hole is only about 2.25 to 2.5 inches wide.. My beer can stove would put the flame on the bottom of the heat exchanger and not on the bottom of the pot with the flames shooting out to the exchanger fins.. Here is a link to a youtube test of the olicamp/fire maple pots. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBFt-c33pyA The point is not how fast is boils, but how many more boils u get out of a canister of fuel.. It just works for me.. How many more boils do you think I can get with this set up.

Ed

Thanks teeton that video was immensely helpful and exactly what I was looking for.

16Bore

WKR
That's what I experienced as well. Time was the same with a 600Ti cup and the alcohol stove. But the point has to be how fast it boils. 2 minute boils vs 3 minutes means you've cut it by 1/3. 4 cups total at 3 minutes each equals 6 cups total for the same amount of time with 2 minute boils. I believe it'll be faster than 2 minutes, but just using round numbers. I don't like that the lid will melt so easily. May try a mini-solo that has a metal lid.

William Hanson (live2hunt)

Super Moderator
Staff member
By that guys figures, someone would be able to go on a 7 day hunt using either the titanium cup or the olicamp and boil 2 cups of water twice a day, however that is with the conditions in the store. In real world conditions it would probably push the titanium cup into having to carry an additional canister as the titanium cups fuel usage over 7 days would be pretty close to a full canister even in the store, but you have enough extra fuel with the olicamp to be able to get away with the whole 7 days on one canister in the real world. That would certainly offset any weight savings that you might get out of a titanium cup.

Teeton

Lil-Rokslider
16Bore,, a stove with more of a straight up flame will give no problem with the olicamo/fire maple lids.. Flames coming up the sides of a pot is heating the sides. But is wasting fuel also and will melt the lids for sure. The stove I got off ebay above works great with my fire maple pot.

I'll be using them both pot /stove this coming weekend.. Aluminum pots will heat water faster than titanium pots. Aluminum spreads the heat out over the area that's being heated, why titanium only heats the area where the flame is touching.

Ed

Last edited: