Cons of 2 pups at once

Two things...

First, they will keep each other somewhat entertained which is nice.
Second, the damage they two will do will be an order of magnitude higher than if you went with a single dog.

OP
Idaho_Potato
Two things...

First, they will keep each other somewhat entertained which is nice.
Second, the damage they two will do will be an order of magnitude higher than if you went with a single dog.
Crossing my fingers I avoid the "seek and destroy" gene. Had that before. :ROFLMAO:

*zap*

WKR
one pup at a time but arrange for at least once a week interaction with a similar breed/drive/age pup if at all possible...I drive 1.5 hrs to get my pup with a similar pup a few times a month....well, there is also a nice shooting range there and the pup's owner is a great person.

I kinda get the feeling the NAVHDA dudes are super keen on lots of training. Like ropes, pigeons, shock collars, etc.

If you want to kill birds with this dog, IMO, the best thing to do is take the dog bird hunting and for the most part keep your mouth shut. The dog will learn to handle the wild birds and you'll kill piles of them. Get too into the regimented training and you'll get a dog that can handle pen-raised birds just fine but really struggle on wild birds. That's just my opinion of course, others here will disagree for sure.

WRO

WKR
I kinda get the feeling the NAVHDA dudes are super keen on lots of training. Like ropes, pigeons, shock collars, etc.

If you want to kill birds with this dog, IMO, the best thing to do is take the dog bird hunting and for the most part keep your mouth shut. The dog will learn to handle the wild birds and you'll kill piles of them. Get too into the regimented training and you'll get a dog that can handle pen-raised birds just fine but really struggle on wild birds. That's just my opinion of course, others here will disagree for sure.
If they disagree, they're wrong ..

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

slick

WKR
Yeah, I won't disagree.

I will however state that I've found NAVHDA training to start a good foundation, that being said.... wild birds make a bird dog... Pigeons are better than no birds though.

WRO

WKR
Yeah, I won't disagree.

I will however state that I've found NAVHDA training to start a good foundation, that being said.... wild birds make a bird dog... Pigeons are better than no birds though.
Confidence and drive are key, building those make for a great dog. Too much training to early will curtail drive, range, and Confidence. You can make a 500 yard dog a 100 yard dog, but not vice versa. Get a lab or a Chesapeake if you want to hunt waterfowl, or at a minimum delay that training until year 2 or 3..

Last edited:

KHNC

WKR
You should get yourself TWO GSP's at once! Then be sure and check back in 6 months to let us know what mental facility you are checked in to! :)

slick

WKR
Confidence and drive are key, building those make for a great dog. Too much training to early will curtail drive, range, and Confidence. You can make a 500 yard dog a 100 yard dog, but not vice versa. Get a lab or a Chesapeake if you want to hunt waterfowl, or at a minimum delay that training until year 2 or 3..
Ok.

He's getting a Draht.

johnnycake

Lil-Rokslider
There are zero pros to getting two pups at once. Anything that you might think is a pro to that scenario is really a con in disguise waiting to bite you in the ass.

OP
Idaho_Potato
I have not heard the theory of too much training before, I see the logic. I would much rather have a dog that knows how to point and has full gas drive to do that rather than a dog that is mediocre at upland, mediocre in the duck blind, etc.

Reason for leaning away from a straight GSP for pointing and run and gun upland is coat length. I also ice fish my ass off in Feb through April and need a breed that won't be miserable on that front. The thought of putting a coat on my dog sounds ridiculous 🙄.

Grabbing a duck or two out of the river would be a bonus, but I spend only a few days a year in a duck blind. If I do hunt ducks these days, it's mostly jump shooting creeks and rivers.

OP
Idaho_Potato
Bond with one till it is 9 months and then get another of the opposite sex....or two bitches.
I dont mess with females. Two males would be fine. They will figure out the pecking order fast enough. I also will never neuter another dog in my life. The research is very clear concerning the effects of testosterone and health. Dogs are not exempt, nor are humans. I'm not talking out of my ass either, my day job is research geneticist. Neutering pets is an unfortunate hoax created by Bob Barker :ROFLMAO: .

slick

WKR
I do think you can over train. Dogs do get bored with pigeons.

I think a healthy dose of continuity- in what you enforce and what you don't aka consistency.
Pigeons that allow a "controlled" setting for reinforcing good behaviors
And many wild bird contacts as possible, shotgun or not...

And you'll have one helluva companion.

Last edited:

WRO

WKR
Ok.

He's getting a Draht.
Cool, same theory..

The best drahts I've seen, won't out retrieve a mediocre lab or chess..

I've been exposed to several in the kennel and handled them in training. The ones with tons of waterfowl training, struggle a little bit on the upland. They tend to be very sharp and can't have kennel open time with the other dogs (fighters). They can be fantastic upland dogs, but don't rush the training. You cant teach them to find birds or how to pin down birds etc, only wild birds teach that. That's best started at a young age. The best teacher that they can't catch them is wild birds, when they learn that on their own it's better.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

2 young male drahts is the plan? You found a breeder that thinks that is a good idea? If you let them figure out pecking order, you won't be hunting much but you will have a very good relationship with your vet.

Reactions: WRO