Cons of 2 pups at once

Interested in opinions on getting 2 pups from the same litter, or maybe 2 different breeders at approximately the same time. I'm working on getting on a list for a spring litters for a male. This will be an upland breed and planning to do a lot of hunting. I have basically zero training experience with hunting dogs and this will be my first go at it. Reason for 2 is I work away from home and the thought of leaving a pup alone at my house doesn't sit right. I am aware of the "buddy sour" issue. Curious how bad this can disrupt training. Open to ideas.

Antares

WKR
If you have "zero experience with hunting dogs" as you stated, then absolutely do not get two puppies at once. One well trained dog is better than two half trained dogs. You're right to have concerns about leaving the dog home alone too much. Changing your schedule/routine is the solution... not getting more dogs.

OP
Idaho_Potato
If you have "zero experience with hunting dogs" as you stated, then absolutely do not get two puppies at once. One well trained dog is better than two half trained dogs. You're right to have concerns about leaving the dog home alone too much. Changing your schedule/routine is the solution... not getting more dogs.
I do work at an office in a somewhat rural location with a big yard. Would it make sense to crate the pup inside the topper on my truck and get him out every 2 hours vs a large kennel in the yard at home all day alone?

OP
Idaho_Potato
I'd buy one and after 6 months decide if you want a second.

The analogy to having twins is about right.
I've had two house pet type dogs before and definitely prefer two. This sounds like the best route. Get one trained to a decent level then add a second. The 8 week old pup phase is definitely not my favorite though. Little fellas just don't sleep well.

TSAMP

WKR
Nope like everyone above. 1 dog, and only if you have the time. The cons of two greatly outweigh any perceived benefit.

Antares

WKR
I do work at an office in a somewhat rural location with a big yard. Would it make sense to crate the pup inside the topper on my truck and get him out every 2 hours vs a large kennel in the yard at home all day alone?

Yeah, that's a great idea. Plus you can socialize the dog with other people from your office and their dogs (if any). I have 2 GSPs and they're in the back of my truck every day (I have a canopy). I also work at an office that has nice trails around it. I let them out around 10am for a pee, we go for a walk at lunch, I let them out around 3pm for a pee, and then we walk them somewhere on the way home. That's an ideal day, sometimes not all of that happens. It's not all about the dogs either... I like saying hi to my dogs in the middle if the day; I would miss them if they were at the house all day.

KurtR

WKR
Horrible idea. Call and talk to any trainer and they will tell you the same thing. Get one focus on training it right. Humans like to think the dog needs a buddy it doesnt.

I wouldn't even consider two at once unless you are a really experienced trainer. I also wouldn't get two the same year. Train one well. Then a few years down the road, get another and train it well. Then you can focus on the young dog when they need it most, and you won't have two old dogs that can't hunt at the same time. As one ages out of the hunt, you can add another.

OP
Idaho_Potato
Got it, consensus is one at a time.
I wouldn't even consider two at once unless you are a really experienced trainer. I also wouldn't get two the same year. Train one well. Then a few years down the road, get another and train it well. Then you can focus on the young dog when they need it most, and you won't have two old dogs that can't hunt at the same time. As one ages out of the hunt, you can add another.
That's a great point. Two dogs that age out of hunting at the same time would not be ideal...

OP
Idaho_Potato
Got it, consensus is one at a time. Looking forward to this spring. Going to be a fun new project and hopefully a great buddy that likes to hunt as much as I do.

slick

WKR
I would agree with the above sentiments. I have two dogs in the truck right now behind the office.

Just bring pup to the office in their crate/vehicle, step out and let them relieve themself once or twice a day- or as your schedule allows. Throw a bumper for them. Get the pup excited about a wing. Get a frozen duck and throw it for them... praise the hell out of them for being interested and when they bring it back to you again praise them and just let them have it in their mouth. Could do dead drag drills. Leave the pup crated, pluck a small patch of feathers for a feather pile, drag the duck on a string or toss it away, go grab the pup, bring to the feather pile- command them to hunt dead, or dead bird, find it, etc. praise the crap out of them when they do find it, don't be too harsh on them for mouthing it hard and what not as a pup, just make it fun and let them know it makes dad happy. Might have to eat dinner a little late cause you stop to exercise them on the way home, etc.

One dog. Crate in the vehicle. Let them out as you can. Change your routine a bit. Build a bond.

Edit to add: unnamed person I'm close with just got two pups from the same litter, they are both stinks cause 1) owner doesnt spend enough time with each of them 2) they're never seperated 3) they spend all day together left in the house .... just a recipe for disaster and unhappy dogs and dissattisfied owner.

What you put into them is what you'll get out of it.

OP
Idaho_Potato
I would agree with the above sentiments. I have two dogs in the truck right now behind the office.

Just bring pup to the office in their crate/vehicle, step out and let them relieve themself once or twice a day- or as your schedule allows. Throw a bumper for them. Get the pup excited about a wing. Get a frozen duck and throw it for them... praise the hell out of them for being interested and when they bring it back to you again praise them and just let them have it in their mouth. Could do dead drag drills. Leave the pup crated, pluck a small patch of feathers for a feather pile, drag the duck on a string or toss it away, go grab the pup, bring to the feather pile- command them to hunt dead, or dead bird, find it, etc. praise the crap out of them when they do find it, don't be too harsh on them for mouthing it hard and what not as a pup, just make it fun and let them know it makes dad happy. Might have to eat dinner a little late cause you stop to exercise them on the way home, etc.

One dog. Crate in the vehicle. Let them out as you can. Change your routine a bit. Build a bond.

Edit to add: unnamed person I'm close with just got two pups from the same litter, they are both stinks cause 1) owner doesnt spend enough time with each of them 2) they're never seperated 3) they spend all day together left in the house .... just a recipe for disaster and unhappy dogs and dissattisfied owner.

What you put into them is what you'll get out of it.
I like the pickup/office idea a lot. Gets a routine going and used to the crate/truck situation. Also plenty of blm ground between the office and home. Plenty of stops for a run or a workout in the future.

jimh406

WKR
I agree with one at a time. Realistically, you can't work two at time until they are already trained. or a couple of years from now.

Other benefits, one will bond with you better if he/she doesn't have a playmate. Two are harder to ride around in the car. One is easier to get a baby sitter. One is cheaper for a vet etc.

OP
Idaho_Potato
Related question, what are the preferred training programs/series for the DIY guy? Upland Institute is the only one I have heard of, curious to hear about other options.

slick

WKR
I'm a fan of these three books....

Honestly, I think most people who are way into field trials are not my cup of tea, but I do find value in NAVHDA training days and methods, so I'd urge you to join and attend when you can.

Edit to add: https://www.youtube.com/c/StandingStoneKennels
Are a great resource.

Last edited: