Condensation when it's cold? Floorless

Been wanting a bigger floorless for years. About ready to pull the pin on a Cimarron with the current -10%. Read many comments about Condensation. And how you need to pitch these designs off the ground to allow for ventilation. Or you'll be soaked. Even with a stove....how is this not 100% counter productive on keep you warm and dry while inside?

Additionally, many say that even with a stove cranking, condensation will be rolling down the sides and soaking your bag/gear.

Lastly, I'll call SO today, but I don't think Liners are an option for the Cimarron???

Kevin_t

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Liners are coming this week maybe.

I would suggest you watch our condensation videos to get an idea. I would say there are times that it is minimal and times when it can be worse, and a lot of that is site location and weather conditions. It is not always how humid or wet places are. Sometimes it can be rainy and condensation is not much of an issue.

There are a lot fo product videos on this page . Scroll to the bottom for condensation stuff.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Just got back from trip low at 30ish and high in forties condensation was not much of an issue it rained and snowed on this trip 7BDAA606-4D06-4D25-81C9-30E86B03A542.jpegCBCFEEF4-7986-4A6F-85EC-A456EA5E0FCF.jpegin my new Cimarron lite definitely was not pouring water554D73D5-9845-4A11-8872-620873D6CF26.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
J
Thanks Ross....we are close and probably using similar habitat I will call and order. Watched several videos. Listened to Aron podcast re: condensation. Just need to take the plunge and do it.

jhm2023

WKR
Single wall tents will have condensation. A tent in cold weather full of warm moist air is no different than a cold glass of water in a warm humid room. The lack of a floor means you also get ground moisture to deal with. Don't set your tent on wet ground or near bodies of water, ventilate it when weather permits, pitch it as tight as possible so the wind doesn't make the tent flap and cause condensation to fall, and don't sleep or place gear against the wall. I've been running a floorless for almost 7 years and wouldn't use anything else other than my arctic oven when weight and weather dictate. The average person expels something like 2 pints of water per night and it has to go somewhere no matter the type of tent.

Takeem406

WKR
The Kifaru liner in a Sawtooth of a a must when running a stove when it's cool to cold out!

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

JigStick

WKR

No condensation in my Redcliff in sub freezing temps with the stove going. We didn’t have liners either and woke up dry.

Consider the Redcliff over the Cim?

OP
J
Too big. I'll be solo or with a dog 80% of the time. Mrs and I 20%. Spoke with SO today. A Liner is in the works and should be available soon. Will be adding goodies to cart tonight once I catch up on work.

Liner and a stove will be what you need. Hunted last year when it was teens at night and 70 during the day. I had the Sawtooth with a liner and stove pitched right tight to the ground with a stream less than 50 yds away and never had any issues with condensation. As far as the gear goes, as long as you don’t leave your stuff pushed up against the walls you will be alright. I bought a waterproof pack cover for when it rains and at night I would just put that over my pack and lay it up against the side of the tent. No issues whatsoever.
a217d8fe5b777de3d4df07b9a234e459.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Condensation is overly worried about in my opinion. Leave an inch from wall to gear and forget about it. A drop or two never hurts anything. Liners seem to be a pain to attach and do nothing in my opinion.

Odell

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks Ross....we are close and probably using similar habitat I will call and order. Watched several videos. Listened to Aron podcast re: condensation. Just need to take the plunge and do it.

What episode number?

Mule

FNG
My LBO is always a rainforest in the AM! I put my contractor bag arond my feet to keep the down footbox dry ( as I always end up sliding down into the wall and footbox gets drenched). Last year left camp with the shelter buttoned up and down quilt exposed. Mistake. It absorbed moisture and I slept real cold a couple nights then bailed out early. I was on a hill not near lots of water...bare ground...just tight pitched to ground. Havent mastered the condensation challenge yet.

My LBO is always a rainforest in the AM! I put my contractor bag arond my feet to keep the down footbox dry ( as I always end up sliding down into the wall and footbox gets drenched). Last year left camp with the shelter buttoned up and down quilt exposed. Mistake. It absorbed moisture and I slept real cold a couple nights then bailed out early. I was on a hill not near lots of water...bare ground...just tight pitched to ground. Havent mastered the condensation challenge yet.

You gotta get that thing up off the ground at least an inch or two. Good air flow is key, and guaranteed to be a game changer when it comes to condensation.

LandYacht

WKR
You gotta get that thing up off the ground at least an inch or two. Good air flow is key, and guaranteed to be a game changer when it comes to condensation.

Couldn’t agree more. Vent the top too, lets that hot moist air go right out the top.

That gap at the bottom isn’t going to let in any rain and silnylon isn’t going to keep a bear or mouse out, so don’t be afraid to live a little less constricted in your floor less shelter!

Just got back from trip low at 30ish and high in forties condensation was not much of an issue it rained and snowed on this trip View attachment 98059View attachment 98060in my new Cimarron lite definitely was not pouring waterView attachment 98061
I can't imagine ANY condensation inside with a wood burner, especially that one - If "stove" means a propane then you get a gallon of moisture for every gal of fuel burned, a lot of moisture to get rid of ….

KurtR

WKR
camped on snow with the cimaron last year and with the wood stove no moisture at all and not much to speak of when it went out

I'm still new to the SO Redcliff. I'm sure it is very dependent on local climate, but I find condensation a lot easier to manage during the cold winter months. Crank up the stove and you dry out any moisture very quick. Here in the northeast, I struggle more during late fall and middle of summer, when ambient moisture is at its highest. The solution is dependent of your situation. Apart from camp site selection, pitching a few inches off the ground can work really well. It can also become a liability if you are in an exposed area and strong winds pick up. In my experience the liner really helps for when it is too hot to run the stove.