Concrete coating with traction.

WA209

FNG
Happy Saturday Roksliders!
I’m needing some good concrete coating with traction recommendations from any of the pros or diy types on here.
First for a set of front steps that are old smooth finish…. The wife hates my grip tape idea…. Painter added sand to paint to add a little traction. But hasn’t held up.
Second is smooth finish patio that was originally covered in turf, and is incredibly slick. These are high traffic areas.

I’ve googled to a nauseam level. I’d rather take advice from someone here that’s had great results from such said product.

Binz17

Lil-Rokslider
We used shark grip on our patio, added to the sealer and has held up for two years so far.

JCooper

FNG
A concrete sealer with an added traction compound in it. We’ve done our patio with it, and it is great.

JCooper

FNG
It’s a polymer additive, Shark Grip is one brand. There are many different brands available.

bigbassin

Lil-Rokslider
Concrete resurfacer can work. Traction is all in the finish. Do a broom finish. You will have to remove the paint.
This would be what I’d do. Grind it with a cheap hand grinder and blow off the dust, cover it in bonding agent, apply a fairly wet coat of grout (it needs to be latex based to bond this thin and hold up) and broom it.

don't use sand...it isnt hard enough. use either granite or quartzite aggregate instead. I used this mixed in with Sherwin-Williams urethane concrete formulation for industrial floors that holds up very well to 24/7 forklift traffic. Add as much or little aggregate depending on how slip resistant you want it. I can get you the S-W product names if you want, but it won't be cheap. However, it's the best on the planet and ive tried them all over the past 20 years. Even if you just add this type aggregate to decent commercial floor compound shit you can buy at Lowes or H-D it would do just great. Sand breaks down too quickly. Ive done many thousands of square feet of industrial floors and tens of thousands of square feet of industrial walls......in some of the worst environments for coatings imaginable. I remember using a clear sealer over finished concrete that was smooth as a baby's ass but so slip resistant it defied common sense...even when wet. You couldn't slip if you tried to. It was an incredible coating as thinly applied as it was but that was about 20 years ago so the name of it escapes me.....however I didn't use it anywhere but in bathrooms and hallways in a commercial and industrial setting as it wouldn't hold up to continuous forklift traffic or the like. If you don't want to spend a lot use the aggregate mentioned above with garage floor epoxy from Lowes, H-D or the like. Just remember that base prep work is very important to longevity of any product used. Yeah, grip tape isn't the answer for sure.