complete heresy - one pack only

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm not sure what prompted me to get down to a single pack- too many in the garage, striving towards some kind of minimalism, the "boss" telling I had too many packs :D, not really sure. But I am now the owner of a single pack.

The packs I owned I liked and they worked. I had a couple of very ultralight packs (sub 16 oz) for short/fast backpacking trips. But I'm finding myself doing less of those type trips, they were the first to get cut.

It got more difficult from that point.

I owned a couple of different "normal" backpacking packs- most in the 40-50-ish liter range. These were still pretty light packs, but had frames of some sort and carried typical backpacking loads much better than the frameless ones above. After several different packs, I finally settled on a Seek Outside Flight for "general" backpacking duty. Great pack.

I've been rocking a Stone Glacier frame (and a few different bags) for almost 8 years. I never even considered another hunting frame/bag they performed so well.

A couple of years ago I purchased a Seek Outside Divide for use outside of hunting season for winter trips (where I typically need more volume) and longer backpacking trips. I was very impressed with this pack, not ultralight, but light and carried really well.

The Seek Outside Flight while perfect for what I intended for it, wouldn't work for hunting and didn't have enough volume for winter & longer trips. It went.

So now did I have a pack remaining that I could use year round, including hauling meat when needed.

I know several guys that run SO frames/bags for hunting. I conferred with them, as well as several folks on this site. At the end of the day, I was convinced that my Divide could work for hunting.

My other option was to keep rocking the SG and use it year round. I know for a fact that it would have worked.

In the end, I gave the Divide the nod as it's closing in on a couple of pounds lighter.

Will I be regretting thinning the herd down to one pack, very possibly, but in the name of science I'm going to give it a go :)

Now I find myself eyeballing the gun safe- beware the man with one rifle :ROFLMAO:

Damn man I’m usually a one pack guy but always keep trying or cycling packs. I usually always end up with a SG on my back come hunting season. Never tried SO but I have a sickness for gear and especially packs. Got a Exo currently and love it, but as my archery season is a month and half away I’m already thinking about going back to my trusty Stone.

So how does it feel? Happy you went though with it?
I am. I don’t spend anytime going through a bunch of gear for trip knowing I’ll repack several times. Storage is also easier. Not as much to put away. I kept a couple sets of base layers and everything else fits in a Rubbermaid tote. I still have a few items to off load, but overall I’m happy with the decision.

Last edited:

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
The one thing I never do is get rid of something that I know works until after a new item has proven itself as good or better than the old. Regrets suck. And also.....backups are real handy sometimes. I don't ever want to be completely without an item, because I only had one.......and it's broken or not 100%.

prm

WKR
I have a few packs, but when it comes to use, I am effectively a one pack guy. Kifaru Stryker. I can haul ladder stands, pack in for elk or mule deer hunts, excellent for day hunts, hauling sand bags around my local area, etc. It does everything I want, and does it really well.

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Admirable... headed that way myself but damn it's hard! So is your 1 rifle going to be your M70??

We’ll see :)

The one thing I never do is get rid of something that I know works until after a new item has proven itself as good or better than the old. Regrets suck. And also.....backups are real handy sometimes. I don't ever want to be completely without an item, because I only had one.......and it's broken or not 100%.

valid points

if the Divide doesn’t work out as planned as a hunting pack, there is no doubt what will replace it

Lowg08

WKR
I have always prescribed to the one pack idea. So I sold the SG 5900 bag and got lucky and traded for an original SG 3300. Going to use that with a lid and access bag. If going for long hauls. I’ll add a dry bag. I minimized down to hammock quilt and under quilt and all puffy insulation.

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've been using one pack, one rifle for 7 years with no issues Antelope-Moose, kills them all. I will add though I do have a spare identical rifle, and an old pack as back up, just in case.

what pack, what rifle?