Comparing recoil between rifles of different weights

It's common knowledge that heavier guns reduce felt recoil. Specifically, that the recoil will be inversely proportional to gun weight.

But recoil is measured in recoil energy and recoil velocity, and recoil energy varies a lot more than recoil velocity. For example, a 270 has 83% of the recoil energy of a 30-06 but 93% of its recoil velocity (I'm using representative loads for each but you get the idea).

If I want my rifle chambered in 270 to have no more recoil energy than my 8 pound 30-06, it can be as light as 6.64 pounds. But if I'm looking for equivalent recoil velocity, I can't go any lower than 7.44 pounds.

My questions are 1 Does anyone actually do the math like this when thinking about recoil and rifle weights and 2 Which metric do you use? I know energy=getting pushed out of the scope and velocity=how snappy the recoil is, but not sure which would correlate more to perceived recoil (or pain).

Fireflyfishing

Lil-Rokslider
You’re overthinking it IMO.

I like heavier rifles as they’re a bit easier on recoil and tend to be more steady. I train accordingly to carry them in the woods. I add brakes on my mag chambered rifles and can spot impacts.

Even without a brake or a suppressor I don’t find a .270 win or a 30-06 to have heavy recoil. But that’s me and I like shooting mags.

I agree w/Fireflyfishing. Shooting a lighter bullet can also make a noticeable difference and stock design goes a long way. I also perceive recoil to be less from rifles with longer barrels. Why? I don’t know. Maybe the muzzle blast impacts what my brain perceives. My experience is with .270 win, 27 Nosler, 7mm REM, 30/06, 300 Win Mag, 300 WBY

TuckTruck

WKR
Looking at charts and comparing a lot of my rifles, I’ve found that the energy seems to be the noticeable difference. But im not a fan of super light rifles, i shoot for 8-10 lbs by the time it’s dressed and ready for hunting. Actual recoil is also really affected by bullet weight and felt recoil changes with stock design or even different recoil pads.

Wrench

WKR
Rifle balance is a critical factor to consider as well. Guys have a hard time being accurate with guns like the m7, rem ti and kimber in snappy chamberings because the gun lifts so hard during the shot.

If a rifle balances behind the front action screw, you can just about bet that it will not be as consistent as one that balances near the front sling mount.

So a super light rifle and a heavyish scope are a recipe for difficult recoil control.....and felt recoil will certainly include a sore face from the muzzle lift.

Dave_S

FNG
Higher velocity=sharper (snappier) recoil, which I think is what makes the biggest difference as far as perceived "pain" goes. Or maybe a better way to put it is the energy is how far it pushed you and the velocity is how hard it hits you. Either way, I think these numbers are really only useful to compare cartridges in a very general sense. As others have mentioned: stock design and recoil pads can have huge effect on felt recoil. I don't think a pound is worth spending much time worrying about. If you want to talk about the difference beween a 7-8 pound hunting rifle vs a 15-20 or even 25 pound competition gun, that's another story.

Bluefish

WKR
Felt recoil is quite subjective and depends on more than energy/velocity. Using the measurable things like velocity and energy gives an idea of the difference in recoil, but in the end, you have to shoot both to compare. Fit/stock geometry can have a big effect on felt recoil. That can’t be calculated and depends on your body.

WCB

WKR
I believe what you describe is less of an issue if guys had a proper fitting rifle vs debating weights. What "feels good" isn't really proper as think of all the different body sizes/types of shooters shooting the same factory gun and them all saying it fits perfect. I have a 7.5# total weight hunting ready 7rem mag that "kicks less" ,at least perceived recoil is less, than a 9lb .308 I have. I attribute it to material and design/fit of rifle.

an anecdotal would be also my 5yr old just shot her first Turkey with a Rossi Poly with a red dot. Shooting open sights 5 or 6 shots not a real issue with recoil. Put a red dot on, which obviously forced her to lift her head off the gun, and she complained and didn't want to shoot after 2 shots. I made a check piece for her and problem went away. She shot about 20 shots with no complaints. Same gun, same ammo. same rest etc.

Last edited:

Decker9

WKR
I run a 375-338 and a .375 h&h, both the exact same rifle/barrel/weight and exact same load. Only difference being the LOP on the 375-338 is about an inch short for me. The recoil on the shorter 375-338 is substantially more between the two. Rifle fit makes a world of difference ime.

Unclecroc

FNG
Stock design plays a very large factor in perceived recoil. Comb height to bore, drop of comb, LOP, even grip size and angle can play into it.
Weight helps but it’s a poor fix for bad stock design and improper fit.

One can also use Impulse.

This is a good reference for all three, under the Recoil tab.

Primarily use energy, but note velocity as well.

Find what's comfortable to shoot all day w/o flinching, and what is not.

Then build Your envelope.

GR