Compact binos?

4th_point

WKR
The B3 Mavens seem to get overwhelmingly positive reviews. I've looked through B series a few years ago, although not this specific model, and liked what I saw when directly compared to some vortex that I ended up selling. (I know...vortex)

The 8x32 conquest sale definitely got my attention but I just can't get over the weight of them.
Let us know what you think, if you get the Maven 8x30.

The claimed weight is impressive with the polymer frame. And having 30mm instead of 32mm surely doesn't hurt.

I do recall some claiming that the actual weight is a few ounces heavier than advertised, but it's still lighter than the Conquest.

Last edited:

Wyo_hntr

WKR
Have you been able to compare them to any of the ones I listed? Curious how they stack up.
I have not, but I too have been considering compact binoculars and the kowa genesis usually come up. I also have the 44mm genesis and am very pleased with them.

4th_point

WKR
Kowa 8x33 are probably too heavy for the OP but they are 33mm.

I had the Kowa 8x33, MHG 10x42, Toric 10x42, two Zulu6, and 8x42 SLC all at the same time and the Genesis is a good binocular. Didn't have a compact Maven, CL, or CHD though.

I had some personal issues with the Kowa and sold them, but they can be very good for some people!

OP
S

Samson7x

WKR
Kowa 8x33 are probably too heavy for the OP but they are 33mm.

I had the Kowa 8x33, MHG 10x42, Toric 10x42, two Zulu6, and 8x42 SLC all at the same time and the Genesis is a good binocular. Didn't have a compact Maven, CL, or CHD though.

I had some personal issues with the Kowa and sold them, but they can be very good for some people!

Looks like they fall kind of in the middle at 19oz. Worth considering I suppose.

Anyone know where they are manufactured?

Leica Ultravid 8x32 @ 19 oz's have served great me for 19 years. Mine are pre-HD and I still like 'em, but have never looked through the HD series to see how much difference there is. Mine have never needed servicing and are still tight in the joint, focus is smooth etc. Might find a used pair for a good price?

4th_point

WKR
Looks like they fall kind of in the middle at 19oz. Worth considering I suppose.

Anyone know where they are manufactured?
I never weighed the Kowa 8x33, but see them listed at 21 ounces.

I can tell you that going from the 8x33 Kowa to the 8x42 SLC was very noticeable in my chest purse. I expect the same, going back down to the 8x32 CHD. 6-8 ounces may not seem like a lot, but I have other crap in the purse! And I use an HPG and bino bucket so it sticks out.

The low light performance and resolution of the Kowa 8x33 was surprisingly good compared to the 8x42 SLC. Contrast was not as good though. At least for my eyes. SLC really shows hide vs brush for the dry side of my state.

I am cautiously optimistic that the CHD controls flare better than the SLC too. It's supposed to. That was my biggest complaint with the SLC. Glassing a backlit mountainside every morning was a challenge. Unless willing to hike a long way to get into the shadow!

OP
S

Samson7x

WKR
I never weighed the Kowa 8x33, but see them listed at 21 ounces.

I can tell you that going from the 8x33 Kowa to the 8x42 SLC was very noticeable in my chest purse. I expect the same, going back down to the 8x32 CHD. 6-8 ounces may not seem like a lot, but I have other crap in the purse! And I use an HPG and bino bucket so it sticks out.

The low light performance and resolution of the Kowa 8x33 was surprisingly good compared to the 8x42 SLC. Contrast was not as good though. At least for my eyes. SLC really shows hide vs brush for the dry side of my state.

I am cautiously optimistic that the CHD controls flare better than the SLC too. It's supposed to. That was my biggest complaint with the SLC. Glassing a backlit mountainside every morning was a challenge. Unless willing to hike a long way to get into the shadow!

Ah, I was looking at the BDII which appears to be their entry. The genesis series is nearly 21oz as you state.

Anyone know where these models are made?

The Maven B3 8x30 are a sweet little bino. Very clear image and a wonderful glass for my kids to use when they hunt with me. I had them for a few years in combo with my beloved 10x42 SLC. I too would take them turkey hunting. I ended up switching back to the SLCs for turkey hunting. The 8x30s were a little too small for my hands. They also gave up too much compared to the SLCs at dawn and dusk.

I've since added 8x32 ELs. Their perfomance is near identical to the 10x42 SLC with a wider and flatter field. They are about as small as I would want to go for a comfortable grip.

LoH

FNG
Since the OP went down to the tenth decimal, and because of my OCD, I feel the urge to point out that the GPO 8x32 Passion EDs are actually listed at 17.6 oz.

And, for what it's worth, I have the GPO 8x32 Rangeguide binos, which GPO lists at 24 oz but on my scale (dead nuts accurate) came to 25.4. Which makes me wonder whether the Rangeguide numbers are not the only GPO weight numbers that are optimistic?

(But, they are great optics. Good image quality and very fast ranging. My only quibble is that the eyecups on the Rangeguide are loose and want to collapse slightly with the slightest provocation, changing the eye relief. I don't wear glasses so I use eyecups fully extended. Collapsing problem solved with rubber bands or an o-ring.)

So, the OP wanted to stay below $1k. But just to throw another spoiler out there.

Zeiss SFL 8x30: $1499, 16.2 oz, 90% light transmission, 3.75mm exit pupil

Actually almost identifical to the Swaro CLs. Almost the same FOV between the two (426 vs 433 ft @1000 yards).

If it matters to you, you can save 1 oz by going with the Zeiss. Probably, it boils down to which your eyes and hands like better. OP also mentioned they can get a better price on the Swaros.

Robby Denning's review of the SFL 8x30s here.

Swaro CL 8x30: $1449 (can obtain at lower cost), 17.3oz, 90% light transmission, 3.7 exit pupil
Zeiss conquest 8x32: $979, 22.2oz, 90% light transmission, 4 exit pupil
Maven b3 8x30: $550, 16.6oz, 95.2% light transmission, 3.75 exit pupil, Japan glass
For reference, the SLC 10x42 is 27oz with 91% light transmission

4th_point

WKR
So, the OP wanted to stay below $1k. But just to throw another spoiler out there.

Zeiss SFL 8x30: $1499, 16.2 oz, 90% light transmission, 3.75mm exit pupil
Local shop has the SFL for under $1000. I went back to look through them again and double check the price.

Very tempting but I'd like to compare side by side with the Conquest as some claim that it's a wash optically. Unfortunately mine are on the slow delivery truck. I wouldn't be surprised if the extra weight of the Conquest makes them more stable either, but 16 ounces would be nice in the chest purse!

I did confirm that stray light control is really good with the 8x30 SFL. A few weeks ago I tried the SFL against the EL and CL and the SFL was better. I should have tried the NL too but I was running out of time, and the NL is supposed to be the worst out of those. It was really noticable in the EL.

LoH

FNG
by the way... 95.2% light transmission on the Mavens? Really?! I don't doubt they punch above their class and are very nice binoculars (in fact it seems they get the closest to meeting the OPs objectives) but I am incredulous of this spec.

I have a pair of (modern) old-school style Swarovski Habicht 8x30s, which I got neither because they were the lightest (19oz) or had the widest field of view (405ish ft @1000) but because, by virtue of their old-school Porro prism, they achieve 96% light transmission and have the most glorious colors and "three dimensional" image and is an absolute, genuine pleasure to look through. (Sharpness at The Edges? Forget it. But I can't tear my gaze away from the feast for the senses that is The Middle..........)

All else considered equal, none of the roof prisms (like what's in the Mavens or most other modern binos) can equal the Porro prism. But they allow for a much more compact form factor. And can be extremely, extremely excellent.

Exhibit A: the Swarovski NL Pure 8x32 claim a 92% light transmission.

Can someone explain how Maven manages 95.2% with a Schmidt-Pechan (roof) prism?

What am I missing? I can easily believe there is something I do not know about all this. So someone chime in, please.

LoH

FNG
Local shop has the SFL for under $1000. I went back to look through them again and double check the price.

Very tempting but I'd like to compare side by side with the Conquest as some claim that it's a wash optically. Unfortunately mine are on the slow delivery truck. I wouldn't be surprised if the extra weight of the Conquest makes them more stable either, but 16 ounces would be nice in the chest purse!
btw I like chest purse. that's what I'm calling 'em from now on.

OP
S

Samson7x

WKR

I did confirm that stray light control is really good with the 8x30 SFL. A few weeks ago I tried the SFL against the EL and CL and the SFL was better. I should have tried the NL too but I was running out of time, and the NL is supposed to be the worst out of those. It was really noticable in the EL.

Under 1k is a great price. EO will typically do 10% or maybe a demo for a few hundred off, but that's really good. And of course the weight is nice. Hmm. Too many options! Which is a good thing I suppose. Issue is I don't have any good local places to try all of these side by side.

OP
S

Samson7x

WKR
by the way... 95.2% light transmission on the Mavens? Really?! I don't doubt they punch above their class and are very nice binoculars (in fact it seems they get the closest to meeting the OPs objectives) but I am incredulous of this spec.

I have a pair of (modern) old-school style Swarovski Habicht 8x30s, which I got neither because they were the lightest (19oz) or had the widest field of view (405ish ft @1000) but because, by virtue of their old-school Porro prism, they achieve 96% light transmission and have the most glorious colors and "three dimensional" image and is an absolute, genuine pleasure to look through. (Sharpness at The Edges? Forget it. But I can't tear my gaze away from the feast for the senses that is The Middle..........)

All else considered equal, none of the roof prisms (like what's in the Mavens or most other modern binos) can equal the Porro prism. But they allow for a much more compact form factor. And can be extremely, extremely excellent.

Exhibit A: the Swarovski NL Pure 8x32 claim a 92% light transmission.

Can someone explain how Maven manages 95.2% with a Schmidt-Pechan (roof) prism?

What am I missing? I can easily believe there is something I do not know about all this. So someone chime in, please.

Yeah, I dunno about that either. I'm no optical expert so I don't know how that's measured but my guess is they have different testing procedure or perhaps other company's equipment is more accurate?