Compact binos?

Samson7x

WKR
I'm in the market for compact binos to use in denser areas. These will primarily be used for turkey hunting, African bushveld, hardwood whitetail. I currently have SLC 10x42 for reference, and will continue to use these out west. Would like to stay as close to $1k or below as possible. I've been looking at these options:

Swaro CL 8x30: $1449 (can obtain at lower cost), 17.3oz, 90% light transmission, 3.7 exit pupil
Zeiss conquest 8x32: $979, 22.2oz, 90% light transmission, 4 exit pupil
Maven b3 8x30: $550, 16.6oz, 95.2% light transmission, 3.75 exit pupil, Japan glass

For reference, the SLC 10x42 is 27oz with 91% light transmission

Has anyone directly compared the Maven to either of the others? It just doesn't seem like it gives up much to the more expensive options. The Zeiss weight savings isn't great at only about 5oz lighter than my current SLC. However, I do like that they have a slightly larger objective and 4mm exit pupil.

Kenn

WKR
This might help with the Mavens;

Kurts86

WKR
I have the SLC 10x42 and the CL 8x30’s and have spent some time with the Maven B3 8x30’s.

The CL’s are optically really good but they have some ergonomic complaints I have. The eye cups are only all in or all out and the eye relief is finicky. The bridge on mine is not as stiff as I would like but that maybe because my are a demo set. I have a narrow pupil distance and my thumbs run into each other. CL’s are small to hold compared to the SLC’s and they just feel different. They almost feel better with a one hand hold than two.

The Maven B3’s are really good for the money and would be a good option. I think they get the job done just as well for less money. 8x30’s do not have to be optically perfect like 15x or a spotter might be. The Mavens feel more substantial despite being the same weight for some reason.

The CL’s have really gotten expensive as Swarovski comes up with stupid accessory packs. I saved a few hundred on mine buying the binoculars without a case or accessories.

Reactions: LoH
OP
S

Samson7x

WKR
I have the SLC 10x42 and the CL 8x30’s and have spent some time with the Maven B3 8x30’s.

The CL’s are optically really good but they have some ergonomic complaints I have. The eye cups are only all in or all out and the eye relief is finicky. The bridge on mine is not as stiff as I would like but that maybe because my are a demo set. I have a narrow pupil distance and my thumbs run into each other. CL’s are small to hold compared to the SLC’s and they just feel different. They almost feel better with a one hand hold than two.

The Maven B3’s are really good for the money and would be a good option. I think they get the job done just as well for less money. 8x30’s do not have to be optically perfect like 15x or a spotter might be. The Mavens feel more substantial despite being the same weight for some reason.

The CL’s have really gotten expensive as Swarovski comes up with stupid accessory packs. I saved a few hundred on mine buying the binoculars without a case or accessories.

Thanks for the insight. This was my train of thought with the compacts as well. I can give up a little performance due to the nature of my application.

I’m really not digging the weight of the zeiss either. One of the pros to having compacts is the light weight after all. At 22.2oz, I might as well take my SLCs.

I’ve about talked myself into going with the Mavens but still open to hearing other opinions on the subject.

kcm2

WKR
I won't stop you from spending money but if you want a lighter, smaller set of binos, you can do a lot worse than the 8x23 Nikon Venturers used for about $40. I have 8x32 Swarovskis and 10x42 Kahles binos for other hunt but the little NIkons are optically darn good just not as robust as others.

I'm in the market for compact binos to use in denser areas. These will primarily be used for turkey hunting, African bushveld, hardwood whitetail. I currently have SLC 10x42 for reference, and will continue to use these out west. Would like to stay as close to $1k or below as possible. I've been looking at these options:

Swaro CL 8x30: $1449 (can obtain at lower cost), 17.3oz, 90% light transmission, 3.7 exit pupil
Zeiss conquest 8x32: $979, 22.2oz, 90% light transmission, 4 exit pupil
Maven b3 8x30: $550, 16.6oz, 95.2% light transmission, 3.75 exit pupil, Japan glass

For reference, the SLC 10x42 is 27oz with 91% light transmission

Has anyone directly compared the Maven to either of the others? It just doesn't seem like it gives up much to the more expensive options. The Zeiss weight savings isn't great at only about 5oz lighter than my current SLC. However, I do like that they have a slightly larger objective and 4mm exit pupil.
At one point I had the maven 8x30, conquest 8x32, and victory pocket 8x25 and played around with them all for about a week. I kept the mavens and they have been used a ton over the past 7-8 years now. Compared to the conquest they are physically smaller and lighter, to a noticeable degree. I remember feeling that the conquest was ever so slightly better optically, but did not feel like they were enough better to be worth the extra weight. I still wish I would have also kept the victory pocket 8x25. Those were outstanding except at very low light and so tiny..might be worth consideration unless you really need low light performance.

I don’t think you can go wrong with any of your choices. I like the price and weight of the mavens and will continue to use them for similar situations that you are describing.

Agross

WKR
No experience with the others, but love the mavens. I had a pair of the 8x30’s and sold them. I regretted it immediately, and within a couple months I bought another pair. I bought both pair used/ like new and saved some $. I think they punch well above their price point. The size,weight and ergonomics just work for me.

eamyrick

WKR
I have SLC 10x42s and picked up some used EL 8x32s for similar purposes. It’s a wonderful combo. I’ve had the 25 and 30 CL Swaros. They are both very nice but prefer the 32 ELs.

I also own the Maven 8X30s. I think they're outstanding. Looking for a second unit to gift my wife for her car. I've often thought....if I forgot my full size bins on a trip, I would not be terribly hamstrung if they were all I had.

They do feel substantial. But if you've never handled them...they are Compact. Not quite shirt pocket sized, but they're small.

4th_point

WKR
I received the Verano 8x32 last week, but the diopter didn't work correctly and there was damage near the hinge. Sent them back yesterday.

Image seemed pretty good though, just using one eye! Stray light control was very decent. Eye cups didn't maintain position very well. Seems like Opticron used the budget on the optics, and skimped on overall build quality, but that isn't necessarily wrong.

4th_point

WKR
I just got the 7x28 Maven today, and they are going back as well. The sharpness is lacking, but the overall build quality is good. Good eye cups! Bad flare though, and has tunnel-like appearance.

Seems like Maven spent the budget on build quality, and skimped on the optics. I was afraid of that based on various comments about the image.

I also got the 6.5x Papilio yesterday for my kids and it has noticeably better resolution compared to the Maven. It's surprisingly good for the money.

Back to the drawing board!

OP
S

Samson7x

WKR
I just got the 7x28 Maven today, and they are going back as well. The sharpness is lacking, but the overall build quality is good. Good eye cups! Bad flare though, and has tunnel-like appearance.

Seems like Maven spent the budget on build quality, and skimped on the optics. I was afraid of that based on various comments about the image.

I also got the 6.5x Papilio yesterday for my kids and it has noticeably better resolution compared to the Maven. It's surprisingly good for the money.

Back to the drawing board!

The 7x28 Maven is a lower tier optic in their line so I would temper expectations with those. I don't think you will be blown away by anything at that price point.

4th_point

WKR
The 7x28 Maven is a lower tier optic in their line so I would temper expectations with those. I don't think you will be blown away by anything at that price point.

I have been blown away by some budget optics. The Terra 8x25 was a killer deal when it was $200. It was very close to the last 8x30 SLC and newer 8x25 CL, when I compared them. The CL had the best resolution and the SLC was best in lowlight and for stability (easier to hold due to size and mass, plus larger eye cups), but the Terra was a great deal and not far behind.

You must have missed my comment that the Papilio ($65) is noticeably better than the 7x28 Maven? It has its own issues (e.g. lack of weather sealing), but based on optical quality alone it is a gem even at twice the price. If the Maven could match the Pentax, I would be keeping the 7x28.

I have tried the Maven 8x30 several times at shows, but it has never impressed me, so has never been on my list to buy. I don't recall the details, and maybe they have made some updates in the past year? I don't know, but $550 seems steep from what I remember.

I ordered the 8x32 Conquest. Could not resist with the sales. I sold my 8x42 SLC several weeks ago, mostly due to weight/bulk, and glare/flare that started to drive me nuts.

I'll be evaluating a supplier of optical components later this month. Hoping to glean some additional information on my at-home tests and targets that I use. Should be interesting.

Good luck with your search...

OP
S

Samson7x

WKR
I have been blown away by some budget optics. The Terra 8x25 was a killer deal when it was $200. It was very close to the last 8x30 SLC and newer 8x25 CL, when I compared them. The CL had the best resolution and the SLC was best in lowlight and for stability (easier to hold due to size and mass, plus larger eye cups), but the Terra was a great deal and not far behind.

You must have missed my comment that the Papilio ($65) is noticeably better than the 7x28 Maven? It has its own issues (e.g. lack of weather sealing), but based on optical quality alone it is a gem even at twice the price. If the Maven could match the Pentax, I would be keeping the 7x28.

I have tried the Maven 8x30 several times at shows, but it has never impressed me, so has never been on my list to buy. I don't recall the details, and maybe they have made some updates in the past year? I don't know, but $550 seems steep from what I remember.

I ordered the 8x32 Conquest. Could not resist with the sales. I sold my 8x42 SLC several weeks ago, mostly due to weight/bulk, and glare/flare that started to drive me nuts.

I'll be evaluating a supplier of optical components later this month. Hoping to glean some additional information on my at-home tests and targets that I use. Should be interesting.

Good luck with your search...

Glad you've had some positive experiences with budget optics. I personally have not, when compared to higher end stuff.

The B3 Mavens seem to get overwhelmingly positive reviews. I've looked through B series a few years ago, although not this specific model, and liked what I saw when directly compared to some vortex that I ended up selling. (I know...vortex)

The 8x32 conquest sale definitely got my attention but I just can't get over the weight of them.

Keep us updated regarding the optical component supplier eval. Would be interested in your findings.

Kurts86

WKR
The 7x28 Maven is an optic I’ve wanted to love and buy for years but the 3 or 4 times I’ve looked through them at shows I was never impressed. My personal opinion is that little objective binoculars have to have everything nearly perfect optically and that seems to be even worse under 30mm objectives. The step down from the B to C series maven and smaller objective made a big difference for me in a class of binoculars that is already marginal (for me).