Colorado Wolf survey

Overdrive

WKR
I wouldn't hold my breath to ever see a wolf hunt in Colorado as a management tool no matter how many people respond.

Anti-hunter groups are way more organized and aren't afraid to spend the money needed to get things shut down. They also have many Federal judges on their side that will shut it down, Wyoming Grizzly hunt is a prime example of that.

Slugz

WKR
Watch the current CPW meeting in Rifle and it will enlighten all where this plan stands and current large scale issues as being told by the people that live out there. Boots on the ground reality.

OP
Y
I wouldn't hold my breath to ever see a wolf hunt in Colorado as a management tool no matter how many people respond.

Anti-hunter groups are way more organized and aren't afraid to spend the money needed to get things shut down. They also have many Federal judges on their side that will shut it down, Wyoming Grizzly hunt is a prime example of that.
I'm not holding my breath but if we don't start standing up more we are going to continue to lose. All we hear about is all the hunters everywhere. We need to start standing together and get in the ring and fight. You can't win by just laying down.

I'm not holding my breath but if we don't start standing up more we are going to continue to lose. All we hear about is all the hunters everywhere. We need to start standing together and get in the ring and fight. You can't win by just laying down.
They win because they are organized, and have all the institutions via college brainwashing, but more importantly they are winning because they actually have balls and will put their money where they're mouth is.

How many hunters and guns owners still wear under armour, drink pepsi, shop at Walmart, have cable or netflix etc etc despite all of them being expressly antihunting and/or antigun??

Also, you can kiss your incredible elk numbers on public land good bye. Enjoy it the last few years you can. Once the wolves are there, you'll never get rid of them.

But hey, all the Californians/leftists invading sure boosted the economy though huh??

BCSojourner

Lil-Rokslider
Can someone tell me why an Environmental Impact Statement (EIS) was not required for this action? I realize it is a State mandate but a lot of the impacts will occur on federal lands and certainly the cumulative (additional incremental) impacts of wolves will be significant on big game species. We already have low elk calf recruitment in many areas in CO, we have huge recreation impacts, plus loss of more and more winter habitat that is critical to elk survival. Add in wolves to these impacts and this action will likely have a significant impact. I just don't recall seeing any kind of analysis for this reintroduction. If I missed it can somebody post a link?

Slugz

WKR
Can someone tell me why an Environmental Impact Statement (EIS) was not required for this action? I realize it is a State mandate but a lot of the impacts will occur on federal lands and certainly the cumulative (additional incremental) impacts of wolves will be significant on big game species. We already have low elk calf recruitment in many areas in CO, we have huge recreation impacts, plus loss of more and more winter habitat that is critical to elk survival. Add in wolves to these impacts and this action will likely have a significant impact. I just don't recall seeing any kind of analysis for this reintroduction. If I missed it can somebody post a link?
There has been no formal NEPA process at all that I am aware of. That point was made at the most recent Rifle public comment session.

Overdrive

WKR
I'm not saying I disagree, we need to stand together, but being a realist I know it won't happen. I've seen people on this very forum say they won't help out Western states with their problems just because they can't get a license every year.

You want to get the CPW's attention and push their hand to allow hunting as a management tool for wolves. Start up a boycott of Colorado hunting when Paw's hit the Ground happens. Let's hit them in their pocket book and see how well they operate losing 100's of millions in one year or as many years as it takes. But being realistic it won't happen because let's face it hunters don't come together, hunters don't even like being in the woods together.

AG8

Lil-Rokslider
CPW has stated that they do not have the time to conduct one before the mandated deadline. The reintro sites are therefore all on private land, specifically so that they don’t have to do a federal EIS. Quite the loophole really

Well that saved me a bunch of typing. What he said word for word.

stdeb11

FNG
The political climate of CO doesn't help. The governor and other office holders meddling in CPW business. Submitting comments is great but seems comments consistently fall on deaf ears.

Jaquomo

WKR
Much of the problem with future management is in the fine print of the initiative. Classifying them as "nongame species" pretty much takes lethal control and hunting off the table unless the legislature amends 114, and this leftist bunch won't touch it.

Colorado is so screwed. The state where I've lived my whole life looks like California. Next step - banning lion and bobcat hunting on the ballot in 2024, also funded by big California money.

sacklunch

WKR
I'm no lawyer, but it seems to the entire premise of the reintroduction proposal and passage was sold to the public on the idea that there were zero breeding pairs in the state, naturally. It would seem that is no longer true, probably wasn't true when the ballot passed either, but allegedly that information was suppressed by the state, nice one Jared.

If true, could it not be challenged and potentially thrown out...or at a minimum, required Tides to gain signatures again to be placed on a future ballot with the factual data on current population, breedings and forecasted numbers included for all to see?

Jaquomo

WKR
I'm no lawyer, but it seems to the entire premise of the reintroduction proposal and passage was sold to the public on the idea that there were zero breeding pairs in the state, naturally. It would seem that is no longer true, probably wasn't true when the ballot passed either, but allegedly that information was suppressed by the state, nice one Jared.

If true, could it not be challenged and potentially thrown out...or at a minimum, required Tides to gain signatures again to be placed on a future ballot with the factual data on current population, breedings and forecasted numbers included for all to see?
Their retort to that is the packs in North Park and Moffat County are not "enough" to ensure survival and restoration. Then they point to how a couple of those were shot in WY when they crossed the border (yay!). Our only hope now is that somehow, some way USFWS will intervene and declare wolves present naturally (sort of...) and put the brakes on this looming disaster.

Hoyt Ag

FNG
All I can say, the people of the Western slope are clearly tired of being shoveled shit from the front range. The meetings in Gunnison and Rifle were well represented.
Meeker resident here. Agreed 1000%. I wont do business with many folks from the front range. Probably a petty thing to do, but its one small thing I can do to avoid them at all costs.

sivart

WKR

doesn't mean we shouldn't try