Colorado stopping OTC

Jimss

WKR
I see all rainbows over horizon with all limited elk. It’s obviously nice being able to purchase otc tags but is it a quality experience? I myself would welcome hunting less frequently with the opportunity to hunt without orange vests on every hill. Heck no I won’t complain about waiting a year or 2 to have some country to myself!

Just wondering if they close some OTC units and make them draw only, won't that send those OTC hunters to the units that still have OTC ?? That will make the crowding problem even worse, even if it is just those units that are still OTC. I'm thinking their ultimate goal is to eliminate all OTC as Rich M said.

Rich M

WKR
Easy there - dont confuse the facts
That was meant flippantly- thanks for not getting uptight.

You know what i mean. There will always be some contention about what folks “want” and what actually happens.

Hunters as a whole will never gather under singularity of purpose and there will always be disparities. It would be nice if the guys could gather and present a united front.

Just wondering if they close some OTC units and make them draw only, won't that send those OTC hunters to the units that still have OTC ?? That will make the crowding problem even worse, even if it is just those units that are still OTC. I'm thinking their ultimate goal is to eliminate all OTC as Rich M said.
Yes, and this is my bitch if I have one. I'd like to be able to voice this concern as loud as possible. It already happened with the closing of other units, now this? I wish they would just wait and think it out, and make the adjustments all at once. Delaying this by a year or two isn't going to hurt anything as long as its thought out. This shooting from the hip is what has caused many of the recent issues.

Phaseolus

WKR
Yes, and this is my bitch if I have one. I'd like to be able to voice this concern as loud as possible. It already happened with the closing of other units, now this? I wish they would just wait and think it out, and make the adjustments all at once. Delaying this by a year or two isn't going to hurt anything as long as its thought out. This shooting from the hip is what has caused many of the recent issues.
I don’t believe CPW can make major changes until the current five year structure is over. Making the Grand Mesa DAU draw was as far as they could go. I’m guessing 2025 is when there will be statewide changes.

I don’t believe CPW can make major changes until the current five year structure is over. Making the Grand Mesa DAU draw was as far as they could go. I’m guessing 2025 is when there will be statewide changes.
Exactly, so why do it and mess the remaining OTC units up? I don’t think people (specifically the CWC) get the magnitude of the exodus even though there will be plenty of tags after the initial draw. Take a look around those units, call it a 50-100 mile radius, those units will be saturated this year from the Walmart tag folks, take that to the bank!

Phaseolus

WKR
Exactly, so why do it and mess the remaining OTC units up? I don’t think people (specifically the CWC) get the magnitude of the exodus even though there will be plenty of tags after the initial draw. Take a look around those units, call it a 50-100 mile radius, those units will be saturated this year from the Walmart tag folks, take that to the bank!
I agree with you. I live in unit 41 and have bounced between units during archery season. I sometimes go hunt 62 if I haven’t been seeing much sign, and 62 is going to be slammed next year.

The CPW commission approved a change to remove both resident and non-resident OTC archery elk tags from the Grand Mesa Data Analysis Unit (DAU) E-14 (GMUs 41, 411, 42, 421, 52, 521) to assist with overcrowding. CPW (w/Commission approval) can make changes at the Regional level on DAU or GMU specific changes prior to the 5 yr Big Game Season Structure rollover in 2025. They can't make broad statewide changes (like no OTC anywhere) outside of the 5 yr BGSS. HOWEVER, 2 commissioners stated last week they were already in favor of doing this for 2024, which I don't think is actually legal..
Won’t be long and hunters will be replaced by wolves on the Grand Mesa and Western Slope. The next generation won’t experience what we’ve all experienced. Utopia is coming to the Mesa.

I agree with you. I live in unit 41 and have bounced between units during archery season. I sometimes go hunt 62 if I haven’t been seeing much sign, and 62 is going to be slammed next year.
I am hunting 41 this year for bow season. Are you going to be up there again this year? I drew it with no points but I am guessing most people still think it is OTC

gelton

WKR
IME and in the several units that I hunt, Rifle seasons are less crowded by a significant margin than archery....seems to be a trend that started about 8 years ago when all the youtube sensations started becoming more viral.

With that being said, I don't think chipping away at previous OTC archery hunts is the answer - it only pushes hunters to other OTC units that were previously less crowded. Perhaps they should just charge more for OTC Archery to either force people to different seasons or to get bought into the draw so that they can get a good taste of point creep.

Beurocracy is what beurocracy does.