Colorado stopping OTC

bsoliday

FNG
The Eastman's Newsletter/Email (1/23/23) had a heading of "Colorado Kills OTC!" which I'm sure some people responded negatively to. The commission agreed to remove OTC for the Grand Mesa only. There is a 5 yr Big game structure they need to abide by.

Phaseolus

WKR
The Eastman's Newsletter/Email (1/23/23) had a heading of "Colorado Kills OTC!" which I'm sure some people responded negatively to. The commission agreed to remove OTC for the Grand Mesa only. There is a 5 yr Big game structure they need to abide by.
Is the Grand Mesa restriction actually agreed upon or still in the maybe stage? Crossing my fingers draw only.

Rado

FNG
Here is a survey:

bsoliday

FNG
Is the Grand Mesa restriction actually agreed upon or still in the maybe stage? Crossing my fingers draw only.
The CPW commission approved a change to remove both resident and non-resident OTC archery elk tags from the Grand Mesa Data Analysis Unit (DAU) E-14 (GMUs 41, 411, 42, 421, 52, 521) to assist with overcrowding. CPW (w/Commission approval) can make changes at the Regional level on DAU or GMU specific changes prior to the 5 yr Big Game Season Structure rollover in 2025. They can't make broad statewide changes (like no OTC anywhere) outside of the 5 yr BGSS. HOWEVER, 2 commissioners stated last week they were already in favor of doing this for 2024, which I don't think is actually legal..

I hope they make the same changes to unit 62 as well.
If they don't now they will have to soon. By limiting a region here and a region there, it inevitably pushes hunters to the remaining open OTC areas, especially those nearby. But to your point, 62 is one of the most crowded archery elk units in the west. It feels that way, anyway.

svivian

WKR
If they don't now they will have to soon. By limiting a region here and a region there, it inevitably pushes hunters to the remaining open OTC areas, especially those nearby. But to your point, 62 is one of the most crowded archery elk units in the west. It feels that way, anyway.
I remember reading somewhere(ill try to find it) that the CPW flew over 62 one year during archery season and counted over 1200 different camps setup. I can only imagine what will happen when the Grand Mesa gets shut down for OTC...

There is another thread on this. I believe it’s an archery only proposal. So that’s stupid. It’s amazing that Colorado keeps making archery more difficult and hasn’t figured out that rifles kill more elk.

There is another thread on this. I believe it’s an archery only proposal. So that’s stupid. It’s amazing that Colorado keeps making archery more difficult and hasn’t figured out that rifles kill more elk.
Colorado isn't making archery limited due to management practices or because archers kill more elk. They're doing it in response to complaints about overcrowding, which archery hunters are apparently more vocal about on average.

Phaseolus

WKR
In a typical season I hunted both the Grand Mesa and unit 62. 62 is going to be a bigger mess this year.

We have closed units almost yearly based on “management “. The Division always states that archery hunters put a lot of stress on elk early in the season. Look at the OTC map of archery and rifle. The two are very different. 15 years ago that wasn’t that much difference. Archery lost units south and central in recent years. Had nothing to do with overcrowding complaints. The closings crowded serval other units. I’m not saying the Division is honest but none of this is science based.

bsoliday

FNG
OTC will be gone in a few years. It is inevitable.

Enjoy it while you can.
Rich, The option discussed and promoted at the NE Region Caucus was limited draw for Non-residents, and OTC w/Caps for Residents. But think they will move to a no OTC model.

Rich M

WKR
Rich, The option discussed and promoted at the NE Region Caucus was limited draw for Non-residents, and OTC w/Caps for Residents. But think they will move to a no OTC model.
Thanks!

They have to get approved. It takes a little time to get there. As with any change, folks are resistent, even if it only affects everyone else.

It has to happen. For the hunters, for the critters.

Id also like to see more shorter seasons. Seems like takes many guys 3-4 weeks to get an elk. I dont hunt elk but that’s a long time. Cut em to 2 weeks and have 2 or 3x as many seasons to make up for the lost revenue. Guys will get smart and 2 dudes will sraw consecutive tags, make it happen.

Im just an old blow hole. These opinions are worth what you paid for em.

I know where i could get a ML elk on the plains. Might do it someday. Just not in a hurry to pay for the license. Seems like every time things seem reasonable, they get changed.

Archery lost units south and central in recent years. Had nothing to do with overcrowding complaints.

Those are the official meeting minutes from when CPW agreed to go limited in the south units, the central units, and now the Grand Mesa units, respectively. Do a search on "crowding" and you'll find it in each document in the section where they explain their reasoning. They also point to "diminished hunter experience" and "social reasons" specifically. Yes, overcrowding complaints had a lot to do with it.