Colorado Secondary draw

Cwillimon

FNG
The secondary draw list held some really good tags. I know several people who applied and didn’t draw, including myself. Do residents take preference in the second draw? I assume a lot of the tags were leftover resident tags are those open to NR applicants?

Thanks

OP
Cwillimon

Cwillimon

FNG
Thanks for the heads up regarding the statistics. I did not realize there are that many youth hunters. Reflecting back on all of my times hunting Colorado I can only recall seeing a handful of youth hunters. Well hopefully I can pick something up on the returned list!

Jbehredt

WKR
There aren’t that many. Dad sees a good tag pop up and drags the kid out here against their will.
Thanks for the heads up regarding the statistics. I did not realize there are that many youth hunters. Reflecting back on all of my times hunting Colorado I can only recall seeing a handful of youth hunters. Well hopefully I can pick something up on the returned list!

Hnthrdr

WKR
Well it favors youth both R and NR before anyone else, word is out. If any tag was worth a squirt it guaranteed went to a Dad… errr I mean “youth”

I put in for a tag, but it didn’t go through. I didn’t think I’d get it but I thought it would at least get submitted.

ladogg411

Lil-Rokslider
The secondary draw list held some really good tags. I know several people who applied and didn’t draw, including myself. Do residents take preference in the second draw? I assume a lot of the tags were leftover resident tags are those open to NR applicants?

Thanks
Sorry that CPW stole your money. Yes, CPW does say "100% youth preference", but there are alot of adults sending in money to the Secondary Draw that would not have done so if this issue was properly educated.

Loo.wii

WKR
If you look back a few weeks you’ll see a comment that says something along the lines of “congratulations to all the dads” 😂

Sorry that CPW stole your money. Yes, CPW does say "100% youth preference", but there are alot of adults sending in money to the Secondary Draw that would not have done so if this issue was properly educated.

I'm not sorry that CPW "stole" your money.

If anyone doesn't know that an adult doesn't stand a snowballs chance in hell of drawing a decent tag off of the secondary list, then they must have their head buried in the sand, DEEP....

I don't feel sorry for anyone who blindly applies and if anything, it agitates me that people are applying for tags that don't know this because that shows me how much they actually care to even know the very basics of the application system.

ladogg411

Lil-Rokslider
Youth draw? Looks like you resident adults did pretty well for it being a "youth draw"

Elk results
59% R adult
20% NR adult
17% R youth
5% NR youth

Deer results
60% R adult
8% NR adult
25% R youth
7% NR youth
These numbers are accurate. But NONE of these tags picked up by adults are the "REALLY GOOD TAGS" that the OP was referring to in this trail.

Yes, smart RES adults are picking up lower quality tags on the secondary draw. Many of them female tags.

CPW has alot of messes to clean up. The misleading nature of the secondary draw is definitely still one of those messes. The draw reports show that the secondary draw is still largely a government agency swindling money from uneducated consumers.

Last edited:

Jethro

WKR
These numbers are accurate. But NONE of these tags picked up by adults are the "REALLY GOOD TAGS" that the OP was referring to in this trails.

Yes, smart RES adults are picking up lower quality tags on the secondary draw. Many of them female tags.

CPW has alot of messes to clean up. The misleading nature of the secondary draw is definitely still one of those messes. The draw reports show that the secondary draw is still largely a government agency swindling money from uneducated consumers.
You are spot on about the stats that @KsRancher posted. Shows lots of adults drew, but not what the OP was talking about.

But calling the 2nd draw a money swindling mess is not accurate. CPW doesn’t keep the draw process a secret and can’t be held responsible for people not reading the regs. Or just paying attention on this forum. We’ve discussed the draw process enough that nobody should go in uneducated.

Guessing most of these comments come from people that don't have kids that like to hunt. Or even have any kids
I'd rather watch my sons kill something that myself kill something. I could never kill another animal the rest of my life and I'd be happy going to help them kill stuff. They're all adults now though, unfortunately, but sentiment still hasn't changed it's just easier now because they can carry more meat than when they were little lol.

I'm usually able to pick up a late season elk cow tag in the second draw. By then it's too cold, snowy, and tough for the youngsters in the area I hunt.

KsRancher

WKR
I'd rather watch my sons kill something that myself kill something. I could never kill another animal the rest of my life and I'd be happy going to help them kill stuff. They're all adults now though, unfortunately, but sentiment still hasn't changed it's just easier now because they can carry more meat than when they were little lol.
100% agree
It doesn't get any better than going on a hunt with my kids. I am happy as can be knowing I probably won't have an elk or deer tag in Colorado for 4-5 more years while going with my boys even though I have more than enough points to draw a tag for the area we hunt. My youngest son has a 4th season bull tag and my brother a 1st season bull. Going to be a blast going along.

Yep all those dads stealing tags. I am thankful that Colorado put youth 1st. I wish they would never change that for the 2nd draw. Enjoyed a great week of hunting with family. Never once told my son what deer to shoot. If it was me we might have been done day one. He decided to take it to the end and passed tons of smaller bucks. We never road hunted besides getting from one spot to the other.
This was a unit he or I will likely never draw again. And my dad pulled out an OTC bull. Great trip. Colorado don’t change a thing for the second draw beside maybe losing points if you draw a tag in one the higher point units. It’s not like kids are nocking down the door when it comes to hunting and a week in the mountain is worth a life time. Why not give them 1st chance on a tag that was returned or not purchased.

Attachments

• IMG_2087.jpeg
    IMG_2087.jpeg
    568.9 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_2081.jpeg
    IMG_2081.jpeg
    499.3 KB · Views: 32