Colorado secondary draw.

Phaseolus

WKR
Hunters should be aware that the secondary draw gives youth hunters 100% priority. example #1-hunt code ee0120a. 10 tags available for draw, 509 applicants, of which 17 were youth, 10 drew-7 didn't. The 492 adults had zero chance to draw. Example # 2- hunt code em04101r. 14 tags available. 14 of 21 youth applicants drew. The 248 adults had zero chance. It only costs $9 to apply if you already have a qualifying license. But if you're going to buy the $86.50 nonresident license just to apply you should really look at the 2021 secondary draw results on the CDOW website. Private land tags and cow tags were more readily available but a lot of these tags made it thru to leftovers. A very select few drew an antlered tag in a decent unit but this was definitely the rare exception and not the norm. I'm not complaining about youth preference, I just want people to be aware of how this draw works and to not be overly optimistic if you apply for a quality bull tag. Now for my complaint-I think nonrefundable qualifying tags are bullsh#t,
Thanks Manny

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Interesting but in some units non residents drew 60+% of the tags.
Well ya......a NR youth tag is $100.........way worth it. If I was a NR I would absolutely take advantage of this program as well........especially for some tags that are just about guaranteed for their youth, but may take a bunch of points in the normal draw.

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
The draw stats are out.

Interesting but in some units non residents drew 60+% of the tags. Very unfair - at least resident youth deserve a 80/20 split.
Since the odds of drawing are exactly the same for all the youth, it just means (most likely) that more NR parents put their kids in for that draw. What is "unfair"? Seems to me the number of resident youth in the 2nd drawing should be much higher.

Maybe the resident parents are less willing to take time out of their season to take a kid?

I really don't understand all the whining about NRs hunting and how it so drastically hurts a resident's chances of success. In most cases, NRs make up a very small percentage of hunters in a given area but everyone whines and says "I can't kill anything because the NRs get all the tags". Crazy

southLA

WKR
Damn my estimated draw percentage was spot on...unfortunately I was in the 85% who did draw lol

11boo

WKR
I did not expect to draw my rifle cow tag, but I did. That unit is pretty close to GJ.
There will be a pretty plump leftover list coming up, don’t give up yet.

cnelk

WKR
Since the odds of drawing are exactly the same for all the youth, it just means (most likely) that more NR parents put their kids in for that draw. What is "unfair"? Seems to me the number of resident youth in the 2nd drawing should be much higher.

Maybe the resident parents are less willing to take time out of their season to take a kid?

I really don't understand all the whining about NRs hunting and how it so drastically hurts a resident's chances of success. In most cases, NRs make up a very small percentage of hunters in a given area but everyone whines and says "I can't kill anything because the NRs get all the tags". Crazy

Maybe the Resident Youth already drew the tags they wanted in the Primary Draw.

Maybe you should brush up on the Colorado Res/NonRes tag allocations. Especially since it’s under review by the CPW right now.
If it wasn’t an issue, it wouldn’t be under review now would it? ;)

The draw stats are out.

Interesting but in some units non residents drew 60+% of the tags. Very unfair - at least resident youth deserve a 80/20 split.
I haven't looked through every unit/code individually, but as a whole NR drew 13% and 24%, respectively, of the deer and elk tags awarded during the secondary draw, which doesn't seem like an unfairly high percentage.

Deer:
Screenshot_20220714-191437_Drive.jpg
Elk:
Screenshot_20220714-191232_Drive.jpg

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Maybe the Resident Youth already drew the tags they wanted in the Primary Draw.

Maybe you should brush up on the Colorado Res/NonRes tag allocations. Especially since it’s under review by the CPW right now.
If it wasn’t an issue, it wouldn’t be under review now would it? ;)
If the resident youth already drew the tags they wanted, what is the whining about?

What exactly do I need to brush up on?

It's under review because residents are complaining which makes it an issue. It will likely change and there will be less tags available to NR. And the resident odds of drawing a tag will change very little. Resident success rates won't change. Nothing will really change and residents will have to find something else to complain about.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
It will likely change and there will be less tags available to NR. And the resident odds of drawing a tag will change very little.
If increasing resident tags by the same number as reducing NR tags changes resident draw odds very little, then that also changes NR draw odds very little as well.

ColoradoV

WKR
The allocation for residents in Co is laughable when compared to all the western states. This is a fact period..

Residents should get allocated 80/20 in all CO draws (returned tags as well). This is a very fair allocation for nr when looking at all western states. Even most nr feel 80-20 is fair. Some resident folks want 90-10. Again a fact period..

I would look at it like this - it was a great run for NR is Colorado. Better than any other state for nr and unfortunately all good things come to a end. It is a inevitable that current allocation is not sustainable w the population growth of Co. Add in CPW is experiencing a rush of money that completes the circle…

Next year every car registration in Co will include a parks pass for (another resident tax to support your public land - will you be paying it?) but it is how the CPW will make up that res/non res difference in funding. 👊

I for one have never blamed nr hunters for my lack of killing 🤷‍♂️🤦🏼‍♂️ - so not sure what that is even about. As has been said brush up on Co allocation as well as related allocation over the west and you will see even at 80-20 in all draws Colorado is still the most friendly state to non residents in the west. Again another fact…..

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Guys, we are talking about tags that were already drawn (by residents and nonresidents) and then turned back in. I never said anything about 90/10 or 80/20 at all. Whatever the CO residents and their game department come up with as far as tag allocations will be up to them.

I do hope they keep giving preference to youth in the 2nd draw but I have no say in it.

For what it's worth, I have thought elk hunting in CO should have been changed to a 100% draw system a long time ago. Again, I don't have a say in it.

I know my boys appreciate the Youth preference. We were supposed to be hunting Antelope this year, but didn’t draw with the points we normally do. So we were able to jump in and get a couple tags for our normal unit that we typically hunt every other year. Worked out great as this will be my 17 yr olds last run as a youth.

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
I know my boys appreciate the Youth preference. We were supposed to be hunting Antelope this year, but didn’t draw with the points we normally do. So we were able to jump in and get a couple tags for our normal unit that we typically hunt every other year. Worked out great as this will be my 17 yr olds last run as a youth.
Awesome news. Make sure you post the hunt story when you guys go!

cnelk

WKR
Guys, we are talking about tags that were already drawn (by residents and nonresidents) and then turned back in.

Not necessarily.
Maybe some were turned in but only tags that took 5 PPs or less.
Tags that took 5 PPs or more were given the to next 5 people in line.

Some weren’t paid for and the rest were basically Leftovers from the Primary Draw.

Residents also get screwed by the Landowner permits because that allotment comes from the 65% of Resident tags.

Maybe the Landowner tags should come the 35% NonRes allotment

3forks

WKR
It’s also amusing when NonRes say Residents are whining. Lol
Agreed.

I don’t have a problem with non-residents hunting, or recreating in any other manner in this state.

I do find it annoying though when non-residents state that any effort to change the current tag allocation in Colorado is being driven by “whining” from residents.

Saying residents are whining because we want changes to the tag allocation to prevent our hunting experiences (both resident and non-resident) from continuing to be marginalized, is comparable to residents saying non-residents are all slob hunters and they are the sole reason for a diminishing experience for us all.

That kind of thing is painting with a broad brush and wrong. But, the more I hear from non-residents calling residents selfish or wanting to change how the herds and public properties are managed/accessed to accommodate their interests despite obvious changes that need to be made, makes me unsympathetic to them at all.

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
I don’t have a problem with non-residents hunting, or recreating in any other manner in this state.

I do find it annoying though when non-residents state that any effort to change the current tag allocation in Colorado is being driven by “whining” from residents.

Saying residents are whining because we want changes to the tag allocation to prevent our hunting experiences (both resident and non-resident) from continuing to be marginalized, is comparable to residents saying non-residents are all slob hunters and they are the sole reason for a diminishing experience for us all.

That kind of thing is painting with a broad brush and wrong. But, the more I hear from non-residents calling residents selfish or wanting to change how the herds and public properties are managed/accessed to accommodate their interests despite obvious changes that need to be made, makes me unsympathetic to them at all.
Again, this thread is about the 2nd draw, and my statements were in response to people complaining that NR youth were getting tags that grown men want for themselves. Tags drawn and turned in, leftover, or not paid for. That sounds terrible, doesn't it?

Would the game department consider changes if the residents weren't voicing their dislike for the current situation? I don't see why they would?

How does changing tag allotment from say 65/35 to 80/20 change the experience? How does changing the ratio keep the experience from being marginalized?

I'm not painting with a broad brush. The game department is considering changes due to citizens' complaints, and I support that. I'm not sure why stating that is triggering to residents?