Colorado rifle cow

Thought I'd post a few pics of my hunt this year. I got a bull out this area on the last day this year and so I thought I'd try my luck for a cow. It's about 3 hrs from the trailhead. My wife works late on Fridays so I took off as soon as she got how and the kids were in bed.

I got to the trailhead at about 11pm and jumped in the back of the truck to get a few hours of sleep. I got up 3am and hit the trail. Got to my spot at about 615 am and sat till light. At shooting light I heard a few shots the ridge over, then a few more. I started to move down the mountain and set up in a spot that I think is a place the elk hide. Far enough below a good trail that now one goes there and too far up the mountain for day hunters. At about 8am I caught movement to my left. Elk! 3 cows were making there way towards me and were about 80yds out.

The area is pretty rough with lots of blowdowns. I knew they would catch my wind if they got too close so I was going to take the first shot that was clear. At about 60 yds there was a small clearing in the trees and I took the first cow that hit it. Put her right down. Took me two trips yesterday and one this morning to get her out.

Last edited:

topher89

WKR
Sweet man! Those short shots are nice, I took an antelope at 300 this year but last year's deer was 50.

What rifle and caliber did you use?

OP
Elkfitness
Don't laugh. 300 win mag in a ruger hawkeye all weather. Not your typical timber rifle. I've taken 9 elk and deer with it. My longest shot has been 190yds on a mulie buck. Everything else has been under 100 yds. I shot a whitetail doe one yr at 25 yds with it. Luckily I didn't hit any bones one that shot. I shot this cow in the front shoulder with 165gr TSX tipped bullets. Not my first choice but I had I had a tight window and took the shot. Could not find an exit hole which was interesting.

topher89

WKR
Don't laugh. 300 win mag in a ruger hawkeye all weather. Not your typical timber rifle. I've taken 9 elk and deer with it. My longest shot has been 190yds on a mulie buck. Everything else has been under 100 yds. I shot a whitetail doe one yr at 25 yds with it. Luckily I didn't hit any bones one that shot. I shot this cow in the front shoulder with 165gr TSX tipped bullets. Not my first choice but I had I had a tight window and took the shot. Could not find an exit hole which was interesting.
Funny how it works out like that. I have only taken two animals (new hunter) with my 30-06 but they were on opposite sides of the range scale.