Colorado Non-Res with 14 Preference Points

ahlgringo

WKR
my advice would be- 40 with an outfitter, or 49 without. As alluded to above they are 2 very different hunts. 40 has some giants in there- but you will play the public/private/access game. 49 is rugged, beautiful country that will make you work for it- but also has great opportunity, but prob not the trophy potential. Really depends more on what you want out of it, how you feel about hiring an outfitter, and of course how much you like climbing hills.

OP
Hoyt24

Hoyt24

FNG
my advice would be- 40 with an outfitter, or 49 without. As alluded to above they are 2 very different hunts. 40 has some giants in there- but you will play the public/private/access game. 49 is rugged, beautiful country that will make you work for it- but also has great opportunity, but prob not the trophy potential. Really depends more on what you want out of it, how you feel about hiring an outfitter, and of course how much you like climbing hills.
Great info thank you very much!

ckleeves

WKR
IMO The amount of points required for non-res is getting crazy. I have been trying to figure out a hunt for my boss the last few days and he’s in about the same position. The mid tier units have crept up badly when everyone saw the writing on the wall with the top tier units and creep.

15 points for a 66 muzzy tag is laughable. 20 for 76 muzzy is crazy but at least it’s a pretty good unit.

The later rifle seasons in 61 were a good option but creep has caused guys to bail out of archery-muzzy- 1st rifle and drop down into the later seasons pool and drive it up (can’t blame them)

If I was in the 14 point ish area I would hold on until I could draw 76 first rifle or burn them up on 40 if I felt like going guided. You have stuck it out long enough your sniffing the better units and it may be worth waiting unless you really want to get out from under your points.

I personally don’t view most of the mid tier units as being that much better then OTC. A few big bulls come out of them but it’s not that much different then some of the bulls that come out of OTC units. YMMV.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Hoyt24

Hoyt24

FNG
Outstanding advice and greatly appreciated! I agree I personally am in a position to hold on a little longer however my dad his had both shoulders re-done...failing knees etc and time isn't being kind to him each year. He is still capable of a somewhat grueling hunt currently but I would say in the next 2-3 years our options are running out. I'm not against spending some $ on an outfitter especially since we have been putting in the last 14 years

cnelk

WKR
The later you go into the rifle seasons the more busted up the bulls are.
My buddy went to 40 last year - 1st rifle - and the bulls were already getting broke off.
He passed on a what would have been a dandy 340", that most of the points were stripped off.

He had a great hunt, ended up successful, not with the king of the mtn, but a real trophy for him.

OP
Hoyt24

Hoyt24

FNG
The later you go into the rifle seasons the more busted up the bulls are.
My buddy went to 40 last year - 1st rifle - and the bulls were already getting broke off.
He passed on a what would have been a dandy 340", that most of the points were stripped off.

He had a great hunt, ended up successful, not with the king of the mtn, but a real trophy for him.
A trophy for a flat lander like me would be 320. I am going on an archery hunt this September in the Teton Wilderness in Wyoming and will be happy with anything in that area.

sndmn11

WKR
Outstanding advice and greatly appreciated! I agree I personally am in a position to hold on a little longer however my dad his had both shoulders re-done...failing knees etc and time isn't being kind to him each year. He is still capable of a somewhat grueling hunt currently but I would say in the next 2-3 years our options are running out. I'm not against spending some $ on an outfitter especially since we have been putting in the last 14 years

If you are willing and able to hold out longer, then do so. How cool would it be to focus on getting dad a demon of a bull and not have in the back of your mind that your tag is wasting away. Hunt for dad this year, learn the unit, hunt for yourself next year and dad can add to your experience by helping out.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Here's another option........filling three tags is a lot of work. So perhaps you focus on your dad's hunt this year with whatever hunt you choose. You all go with him but he has the tag. Next year you decide maybe the other guy draws his tag and you all go with him, then finally you draw whatever tag you want and they go with you. That way you all get three hunts in instead of just one where you're all competing for the same shot.

+100 focus on dad's hunt and don't try to fill multiple tags in a week. You'll benefit from the intel later and dad will probably enjoy helping with yours as much as his.

You have options to hunt yourself at another time, including a cow tag.

OP
Hoyt24

Hoyt24

FNG
If you are willing and able to hold out longer, then do so. How cool would it be to focus on getting dad a demon of a bull and not have in the back of your mind that your tag is wasting away. Hunt for dad this year, learn the unit, hunt for yourself next year and dad can add to your experience by helping out.
VERY SOUND ADVICE! Thank you!

OP
Hoyt24

Hoyt24

FNG
Here's another option........filling three tags is a lot of work. So perhaps you focus on your dad's hunt this year with whatever hunt you choose. You all go with him but he has the tag. Next year you decide maybe the other guy draws his tag and you all go with him, then finally you draw whatever tag you want and they go with you. That way you all get three hunts in instead of just one where you're all competing for the same shot.
Makes sense. Learn the unit and in the process will work itself out! Thank you!

OP
Hoyt24

Hoyt24

FNG
I had a successful hunt in the Teton WIlderness in Wyoming with my bow. I good public land 5x5. We put in with our 14 points for unit 49 for first rifle. Hoping to draw so I can focus on more archery hunts.