Colorado goat redemption

Foldem

WKR
My son drew a nanny only tag his first year putting in at 12 years old:

He was ultimately unsuccessful on that hunt but found a passion for tough hunts.

This year he drew an either sex tag in the same unit I killed my billy in 2020.

With me having an archery sheep tag and an archery deer tag I knew scouting time was going to be limited. It was also Dylan’s first year away at college so we were going to be weekend warriors and with the tag he drew there were only 2 weekends.

On Thursday before the first weekend Dylan called me from college feeling pretty sick. We ended up not being able to hunt that weekend. Now we were down to 2 days to get it done. He met me at my in-laws house Friday night and we hiked into the wilderness under the stars. With no scouting we went straight to the same camp I killed my billy from in 2020. Before the sun even came up Saturday morning we had two Billy’s spotted. On big mature on with a weird left horn and one up and comer Billy. We decided to go after the bigger more mature goat across the drainage. After a 2 hour decent and climb across the drainage we were within shooting range of the bedded billy. Dylan made on perfect shot and killed the Billy instantly.

We had a great time packing the Billy and camp out together over this two days.

I couldn’t be happier with the hunt with my son and I’m thankful that he was unsuccessful on his nanny hunt back when he was 12.

IMG_8613.jpegIMG_8618.jpegIMG_8654.jpegIMG_8634.jpeg

Last edited:

Hnthrdr

WKR
Don’t kiss my screen but maybe I can buy the dust from your keyboard…. Goat tags, sheep tags… I’ll take the keyboard dust. Awesome write up and adventure! Glad you and your son made it happen!

Decker9

WKR
This is pure awesome! Congratulations to son, and dad!!

My number 1 fondest memory is my first goat hunt with my dad, it hooked me on goats for life.

Jimss

WKR
Congrats! Treasure those father-son experiences in the outdoors! It’s possible to fix the broken side if desired or enjoy it how it is.