Colorado flat tops situation?

Treeratslayer

Lil-Rokslider
Edit: I’ll be mule deer hunting so that is my top interest, but elk talk is more than welcome!

Not looking for spots, just wondering how the general flat tops area is doing? I hear it’s been dry, and looks like snow is still a long way off. I’ll be headed out for 3rd rifle. Did a lot of e scouting and we tried to find multiple spots in multiple elevation bands. I felt like a lot of mine were all too high, but weather looks like it might work out in my favor. Of course, it can change in an instant up there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Hunted 25/26 for first rifle, half a dozen shots opening day and not a single shot after that. Didn't see a single elk taken off the mountain and lots of people pulling out on the 3rd day. Elk density seemed to be low compared to what I've heard.

OP
T

Treeratslayer

Lil-Rokslider
Hunted 25/26 for first rifle, half a dozen shots opening day and not a single shot after that. Didn't see a single elk taken off the mountain and lots of people pulling out on the 3rd day. Elk density seemed to be low compared to what I've heard.

Glad I didn’t buy an elk tag too then. I’ll be chasing mule deer.

Ucsdryder

WKR
I don’t think the deer have recovered since the die off. I spent some time up there with a friend and saw exactly 0 deer. I’ve never not seen a deer!

Last edited:

Azone

WKR
Three of us in my circle are heading out for 4th rifle come next month. Haven’t been there in two years. Will be curious to see what the old stomping grounds look like after the die off.

OP
T

Treeratslayer

Lil-Rokslider
I don’t think the deer have recovered since the die off. I spent some time up there with a friend and saw exactly 0 deer. I’ve never not seen a deer!

That’s reassuring lol we aren’t setting the bar high. My backup plan is my 3wt fly rod and a lake for some cuts. When the hunting sucks, catch fish lol

Yeh, I head out there for 2nd rifle this week. Hoping for a little snow but have a feeling that isn't going to happen. A little nervous about the winter kill of 22/23. Hearing a lot less animals. I like the flyrod idea. Will throw it in the back of the truck.

OP
T

Treeratslayer

Lil-Rokslider
Yeh, I head out there for 2nd rifle this week. Hoping for a little snow but have a feeling that isn't going to happen. A little nervous about the winter kill of 22/23. Hearing a lot less animals. I like the flyrod idea. Will throw it in the back of the truck.

Can’t beat a little trout fishing to up the morale!

I'd definitely bring a fly rod, lots of trout up there. I ran into one of the guides from flat tops wilderness outfitters and by day three they didn't have a bull on the ground. Elk density seems to be extremely low and with the full moon during first rifle it seems what elk were there were completely nocturnal, basically you have a half hour window in the morning and evening to get it done. I'm curious to see how 2nd rifle goes for you guys.

I'd definitely bring a fly rod, lots of trout up there. I ran into one of the guides from flat tops wilderness outfitters and by day three they didn't have a bull on the ground. Elk density seems to be extremely low and with the full moon during first rifle it seems what elk were there were completely nocturnal, basically you have a half hour window in the morning and evening to get it done. I'm curious to see how 2nd rifle goes for you guys.
I heard the exact same thing. First rifle was slow. Have a feeling the elk will be moving 3rd and 4th this year. Plus, no snow.

Ucsdryder

WKR
I heard the exact same thing. First rifle was slow. Have a feeling the elk will be moving 3rd and 4th this year. Plus, no snow.
I think part of the issue is there are no elk, at least compared to 2021. It’ll take time for the herd to come back. Let’s just hope CPW continues to limit female licenses.

cnelk

WKR
Just for perspective, when the old DOW [now CPW] shot and killed thousands of Mule Deer on the Front Range in the early 90s [for CWD purposes], the Mule Deer are just now recovering the past few years.

Its going to take longer than a year or two. A lot longer.

OP
T

Treeratslayer

Lil-Rokslider
Just for perspective, when the old DOW [now CPW] shot and killed thousands of Mule Deer on the Front Range in the early 90s [for CWD purposes], the Mule Deer are just now recovering the past few years.

Its going to take longer than a year or two. A lot longer.

Now I’m an out of stater, so my word is worth less than most, but this is just foolishness. I can’t speak to exact numbers, but A) I really have a hard time believing deer shot 30 years ago are still affecting the herd to that level, and B) either way Colorado still has the biggest elk and mule deer population in the country. I’ll accept the winter kill theory. But plenty of deer also know how to migrate out. They can sense a bad year way earlier than we can.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I think part of the issue is there are no elk, at least compared to 2021. It’ll take time for the herd to come back. Let’s just hope CPW continues to limit female licenses.
Agreed. I was in there last year during muzzy elk and glasses up as many elk over a whole week as I’ve glassed in a single morning prior to the die off.

cnelk

WKR
Now I’m an out of stater, so my word is worth less than most, but this is just foolishness. I can’t speak to exact numbers, but A) I really have a hard time believing deer shot 30 years ago are still affecting the herd to that level, and B) either way Colorado still has the biggest elk and mule deer population in the country. I’ll accept the winter kill theory. But plenty of deer also know how to migrate out. They can sense a bad year way earlier than we can.

Maybe it was the late 90s, early 2000s, but it was a long time ago and it definitely affected the deer numbers for a looong time.

The winter kill was well documented here on RS, and thousands of deer and elk were wiped out between Colorado and WYo.
I guess they didnt get the memo to migrate.

Good luck on your hunt - you're gonna need it