Colorado elk unit 67

Thomas11

WKR
You can pick most LE units in Co and do a search to find information on forums like this one. When someone does that and sifts through a bunch of threads/posts about the same unit, they are usually able to draw some conclusions. That then influences whether they decide to put in for that unit. The more a unit number gets commented on favorably, the more people are likely to put in for that unit. This then amplifies point creep. There seem to be many examples (from what I have read) of units that were featured in an article or video that have a significant increase in creep soon after. I have found that there is usually enough searchable information to help your decision making and at a minimum give you some different folks to contact privately. People can be very helpful, within reason, when contacted privately.
I don’t disagree w this at all. But honestly I’ve saw point creep across the board in every western state in most all units. The amount of more ppl applying for western hunts is insane. I started hunting outwest in 2013 and the landscape is much different now

JLeMieux

Lil-Rokslider
I don’t disagree w this at all. But honestly I’ve saw point creep across the board in every western state in most all units. The amount of more ppl applying for western hunts is insane. I started hunting outwest in 2013 and the landscape is much different now
Agreed!

You’ve been around here 4 years and still think it can be productive to ask for specifics on a GMU in CO? 100% of your time in the classifieds?
Planning my first CO hunt and I see that getting information on a GMU is sort of like pulling teeth. Can you at least point me in the direction of how one goes about selecting a at least decent GMU. Or is it a complete shot in the dark. I have GOHUNT and look also at colorados site but every time the numbers look good if you look at the comments everyone says how scarce and over hunted it is by outfitters. Is there a specific way to select a solid unit to try for 3-5 years or just pick on that the terrain seems doable and roll the dice ??

Planning my first CO hunt and I see that getting information on a GMU is sort of like pulling teeth. Can you at least point me in the direction of how one goes about selecting a at least decent GMU. Or is it a complete shot in the dark. I have GOHUNT and look also at colorados site but every time the numbers look good if you look at the comments everyone says how scarce and over hunted it is by outfitters. Is there a specific way to select a solid unit to try for 3-5 years or just pick on that the terrain seems doable and roll the dice ??
Dice. Or gmu map and darts.

It’s not rocket science. People may comment to keep others from going. It’s essentially a disinformation campaign. Which means you can’t trust anything you read online—how can you tell who to trust?

Call the Forest Service, see how many outfitters are operating in various units. Ask good questions. Talk to people who have actually had the tag, or people who live in the area. These are more trustworthy sources.

ckleeves

WKR
How many points a unit takes is essentially a public poll on how good people think a unit is if your talking about a 3-5 year plan on applying. If your talking about picking a otc unit and hunting it for 3-5 years I wouldn’t put that much deep thought into it.

You can wade thru statistics for months which in CO aren’t really that accurate just because of the way they conduct surveys and without mandatory reporting it’s somewhat of a guess. You have no idea what % of the listed success came off private and you don’t know if they surveyed good hunters or bad hunters. Depending on who received a phone call that particular year it can skew statistics either way.

There are no secrets at this point when it comes to otc units. Don’t marry a unit or a particular spot, have about 6 spots picked out and if there aren’t elk in one or you don’t like the terrain, crowding, roads, trails etc then on to the next one. People act like once they park the truck and set up a tent they have to hunt that spot for the next 7 days.

1. Go there
2. Hike, glass, and look for sign
3. Don't tell a soul what you found
4. Enjoy hunting and the satisfaction of actually scouting instead of being an internet parasite

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk
Very unhelpful, maybe just don’t respond in the future if you have no decent input. Obviously that’s what I would do if I had unlimited budget and time.

I’m
How many points a unit takes is essentially a public poll on how good people think a unit is if your talking about a 3-5 year plan on applying. If your talking about picking a otc unit and hunting it for 3-5 years I wouldn’t put that much deep thought into it.

You can wade thru statistics for months which in CO aren’t really that accurate just because of the way they conduct surveys and without mandatory reporting it’s somewhat of a guess. You have no idea what % of the listed success came off private and you don’t know if they surveyed good hunters or bad hunters. Depending on who received a phone call that particular year it can skew statistics either way.

There are no secrets at this point when it comes to otc units. Don’t marry a unit or a particular spot, have about 6 spots picked out and if there aren’t elk in one or you don’t like the terrain, crowding, roads, trails etc then on to the next one. People act like once they park the truck and set up a tent they have to hunt that spot for the next 7 days.
Thanks, that’s about what I thought. The advice I have heard is that good knowledge of one unit will lead to more success than trying to hop around to find a perfect unit each year.

So I’m trying to narrow down a solid unit that I can plan on going too for the next 3-5 years. So I’m assuming I should not focus as much on whether or not a unit has a ton of verified bill elk. But pick a good unit with solid terrain lots of public land and good water. Seems the elk can vary so much depending on a ton of different variables.

Mainly looking for advice on what features should I be looking for in a unit? Low level of hunters, high public land ? Bad roads, good roads, elevations etc?

Mainly looking for advice on what features should I be looking for in a unit? Low level of hunters, high public land ? Bad roads, good roads, elevations etc?

All units you'll be able to hunt for 3-5 years in a row will have a high level of hunters, enough public land that you'll never be able to cover it all, good roads and bad, high elevations, and steep rugged country. No escaping those facts.

There are members here that could go into any OTC unit for the first time, find elk, and have a good chance at killing one. It has little to do with the unit and statistics, and everything to do with first hand experience in elk country. Only one way to obtain that. Throw numbers in a hat and pick a unit, there's no magic formula.

All units you'll be able to hunt for 3-5 years in a row will have a high level of hunters, enough public land that you'll never be able to cover it all, good roads and bad, high elevations, and steep rugged country. No escaping those facts.

There are members here that could go into any OTC unit for the first time, find elk, and have a good chance at killing one. It has little to do with the unit and statistics, and everything to do with first hand experience in elk country. Only one way to obtain that. Throw numbers in a hat and pick a unit, there's no magic formula.
Fair enough, thank you sir

ckleeves

WKR
I think the “pick and learn a unit really well” vs jumping around both have pros and cons. You can know a unit inside and out and some years it’s just tough pulling a bull out of it. Could be pressure that year, lack of water, (or too much water and elk are scattered everywhere), there may have been 12 guys in there the week prior you just don’t know.

Hunters have a tendency to try to hunt the ghost of bulls they saw 10 years ago or act like the bones of the bull they killed last year are like bait to other elk. I don’t know how many times I have seen a spot that was red hot for 2 years be a ghost town the 3rd.

That’s where I think the jumper has the advantage after a few years you have so many backup spots you are going to find elk in one of them.

Terrain is huge too, everybody’s style of hunting is different and different units suit different hunters better. If I had the choice between hunting a unit with tons of elk that’s all dark timber or a unit with 1/2 the elk but all oakbrush I’m personally taking the second option because I hate timber. Other guys have mastered hunting in timber and hate getting attacked and mangled by oakbrush for 10 hours a day.

Very unhelpful, maybe just don’t respond in the future if you have no decent input. Obviously that’s what I would do if I had unlimited budget and time.

Oh! I didn't realize you weren't rich and didn't have time to dedicate to something that is important to you. In that case, if you PM me, I'll supply you with rich and robust information, complete with waypoints and a hunt strategy. I assure you this is premium information only reserved for our laziest and most inept members.

Oh! I didn't realize you weren't rich and didn't have time to dedicate to something that is important to you. In that case, if you PM me, I'll supply you with rich and robust information, complete with waypoints and a hunt strategy. I assure you this is premium information only reserved for our laziest and most inept members.
If you don't know anything, just say that. It's fine that your still crawling through forms trying to find info, now go back to your hole and enjoy your google pixel 6 ;) Thanks for all your help PM sent :whistle:

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Unnecessary

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
If you don't know anything, just say that. It's fine that your still crawling through forms trying to find info, now go back to your hole and enjoy your google pixel 6 ;) Thanks for all your help PM sent :whistle:
You need to take some time and work on your forum etiquette

Call CPW

Unnecessary

You're right, it was. It's just frustrating there is a never ending stream of folks looking to short cut hard work. This guy joined Oct 9 and didn't even take the time to settle in and observe culture. Instead we get a list of excuses. He isn't ever going to kill an elk, even if one of us pointed him to one. "It's too steep...too cold...too far..."

Hnthrdr

WKR
Sometimes I think guys must be posting questions about units they're not interested in an attempt to redirect pressure from where they're actually planning to go. Who in their right mind would do enough research to decide on a unit and then advertise their intentions to hunt it on a public forum?
The ultimate psy ops ;)