Colorado Elk Late Season Question

So I’ve been out hunting elk in northeastern Colorado for a couple years, mostly cows and I’ve gotten bull tag or two as well. The only times I’ve been able kill elk up there is when I catch them migrating, or when they make a mistake and cross a fence line. I can find plenty of elk up there, but most of the time I’m finding big herds sitting on large swathes of private land that I can’t reach. This year I want to change things up a bit and am gonna check out one of the units down by montrose or gunnison, probably 65 or a OTC unit around there. My question is, are the elk all on private land down there like they are up north? Or can you actually find elk on public who aren’t in the middle of their migration? I’m looking for a unit I don’t have to sit fence lines. I don’t mind nasty terrain, I live in Colorado and nasty terrain is my backyard.

poboy2214

FNG
Northeast like along the front range? I have experience with 65 and the front range units so pm me and I may be able to help

There should be plenty of elk in any of the National Forests if you're willing to work to get them. No fence sitting needed!