Colorado Draw

I’d love to see how this would change hunting in Colorado too. Not holding my breath though...
This would be great or a hybrid system where you have to actually apply for a tag every so many years (and one you’ll probably draw), like Montana, or you lose your points.

Northpark

WKR
that’s an impressive streak there. good job
To be fair I didn’t kill one this year. First time I don’t didn’t shoot one. And to also be fair I hunt cows more than bulls though I have a 6x6 in my office. All were public land DIY though and my knees hate me for that.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
To be fair I didn’t kill one this year. First time I don’t didn’t shoot one. And to also be fair I hunt cows more than bulls though I have a 6x6 in my office. All were public land DIY though and my knees hate me for that.

cows or bulls, still quite a run

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
B

banded_drake

Lil-Rokslider
Still impressive by far

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Lurch12

Lil-Rokslider
Considering my options here.

Am I better off to do option A or B.
A- 1st choice is preferred hunt zone
B- 1st choice preference point, 2nd choice preferred hunt zone.

Is one better than the other or are they they same?

I already called Parks office and they told me my unit the odds are very good for drawing with zero points in the 1st season.

But I have friends that apply every year and have been getting denied 1st season since 2010, so they go second season over the counter, but they do option B list above.

Thoughts?

ID2NM

WKR
There are rumors that NM is considering a point system. I hope the rumor is false.

There's ALWAYS a rumor that we'll go to a points system. Its never based on any factual information, so don't lose any sleep over it.

I already called Parks office and they told me my unit the odds are very good for drawing with zero points in the 1st season.

But I have friends that apply every year and have been getting denied 1st season since 2010, so they go second season over the counter, but they do option B list above.

Thoughts?
It will increase your odds if you do “A”. Just because you can draw with zero points, doesn’t mean that everyone would draw it as a second choice. Could be there is 10 tags left over and several hundred applicants for second choice

The better option depends on the details of your situation (expected demand for the particular tag, your preference point level and resident/non-resident status). Option A gives you a better chance of getting your preferred tag but will consume all your accumulated preference points if you draw it. Option B may allow you to gain a point and get the tag.

I'd recommend looking at last year's draw recap report to see what percentage of applicants drew your preferred tag as their 1st choice with however many points you currently have to get an idea of what your chances are with Option A. The report will also tell you how many applicants drew that tag as their 2nd choice, which will give you an idea of your chances with Option B.

Last edited:

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
That seems to be a common theme as I also elk hunt public land and DIY and my knees hate me as well. At least I have 11 months every year to recover before pounding them into the ground again.

Lurch12

Lil-Rokslider
The better option depends on the details of your situation (expected demand for the particular tag, your preference point level and resident/non-resident status). Option A gives you a better chance of getting your preferred tag but will consume all your accumulated preference points if you draw it. Option B may allow you to gain a point and get the tag.

I'd recommend looking at last year's draw recap report to see what percentage of applicants drew your preferred tag as their 1st choice with however many points you currently have to get an idea of what your chances are with Option A. The report will also tell you how many applicants drew that tag as their 2nd choice, which will give you an idea of your chances with Option B.

Thankyou! I didn’t know they published this information!

cnelk

WKR

Thoughts?

Are your friends applying as group?
That could make a big difference

OP
B

banded_drake

Lil-Rokslider
So when you apply for these hunts, are you applying for any tag in a specific unit/season, or do you apply for a specific hunt code? Like some units have multiple codes for the same season, like EE, EF, EM

dydetert

FNG
Does the secondary draw take into account the amount of pp someone has or how is that decided? Seems rather unfair to me that someone could amass a large amount of PP, then continually build PP and take those tags.

HuntNTag

WKR
Does the secondary draw take into account the amount of pp someone has or how is that decided? Seems rather unfair to me that someone could amass a large amount of PP, then continually build PP and take those tags.

The secondary draw does not use preference points and you cannot apply for preference points out of the second draw.

You technically could pick up a point if you applied in the first draw and then if you want, you can jump in the second draw. You won’t lose your points if you get a tag in the second draw.

Buck197

WKR
I'm general, always exceptions to every rule, you'll average better success rates doing your research and finding a unit you can hunt every, or most year and spending the time in one place intimately getting to know the area, than you will running the point game for success. Points are great, but taste more and more like crap every year. Intimate knowledge of an area helps tremendously..

I've been doing some searching but I haven't really been able to find the answer I'm looking for. I'll be looking at putting in for the New Mexico and Colorado draw this next year. When it comes to draw odds, what is the best way to pick your choices to have a good chance at gaining a preference point yet still drawing a tag? Is it best to sort your choices from hardest to draw to easiest? Or am I looking at this all wrong?

If I understand your question, just pick a unit that has low pref point requirements and choose that as your second option behind a pref point. You can easily do that in unit 77, as an example.

or OTC unit.

just make it your second choice