Colorado 14 deer points

DuaneZ

FNG
I'm sitting on 14 points, but wondering if it's worth trying to wait and try for a good 3rd season tag, or burn them on a good unit that where I might be able to draw a 2nd season tag. I'd be hunting alone, so with possible weather in the mountains I was thinking it might be better with a 2nd season tag. My concern is I want to experience the mule deer rut, is the 2nd season to early?

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Your crazy to wait, the entire population of deer is going to be way down and take awhile to rebound if ever.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

ckleeves

WKR
I would burn them on second. The last few years with season dates lots of guys have done better second then third-forth. Now that’s somewhat unit dependent, but I can honestly say in some of the really high demand units I would have taken a 2nd tag over even a 4th tag the last few years.

Waiting is a huge gamble right now, at this point you could have probably had a better hunt 11 years ago in a 3 point unit then what you can get with 14 now.

Go into it with realistic expectations, it’s not 2004 anymore when it comes to Co deer hunting.

Plainsman79

Lil-Rokslider
If your looking to hunt rutting bucks go 3rd or 4th season. If your concerned about high mountain weather on a solo hunt, maybe pick something with a good chunk of accessible winter range. All of that information can be found on the CPW website. Set a realistic expectation for the hunt and then go have a great time.

If you're open to the idea of a guided hunt, the eastern plains will be a great option and they've been producing big big big bucks for a long time.

OP
DuaneZ

DuaneZ

FNG
It would be a solo hunt, which I have done before. I wish Colorado would allow averaging points in a party, they I would have others to go with.

I thought of a guided hunt, but I enjoy DIY and having flexibility to go where I want and when I want.

Thanks for the advise. I have a couple days to decide.

OneShot

Lil-Rokslider
I’d burn them. After the slaughter of does and bucks the past couple years, then add this horrible winter on top of that, the deer herd is in trouble.

Either 2nd and 3rd could produce a good buck. We’ve been hunting both of those seasons for the past 10 years all over the state. Lots of season date changes in that time frame, but we have seen bucks rutting in 2nd season and the next year, they weren’t really pushing the does during 3rd season. Each year is different and some units seem to show rut activity earlier than other units. I’d just find a unit that has the terrain that fits your style of hunting, and get out in the woods.