Colonoscopy....

OP
Broomd

Broomd

WKR
Bump...reminder for you fellas and gals that are another year older and now due for a checkup.
Colon cancer is getting more and more prolific in younger people.

Get those scopes done, this cancer is 100% preventable!

Bucky44

FNG
Tomorrow....for both wife and me. Our first. Colon issues run in my family so I'm overdue.
Just chugged round one of the purge juice, good lord--gack! Waiting for the purge now....

Anyone else gotten the probe lately?
After gagging down 1 gallon of flush, 2 quarts at a time, which was horrible. The young RN in the prep room said a lot of nurses mix the flush with vodka, older nurse stuck her head in and laughingly said she did not think that was sound medical advice. GOOD LUCK

highcj5

Lil-Rokslider
Got mine scheduled for April 16th. I’m off that week for the first week of turkey season. I’ll be missing 1 morning of it for this colonoscopy. Wife had hers done last year. I dread the prep!

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I had mine about three weeks ago. I'm on the 10 year plan, and since they automatically stop doing routine ones at 75, I'm done with them now at almost 59. Not sure that having one done at 69 is going to make much difference, so I choose........NO.

Also, I woke up to two newly chipped teeth after the procedure. So not sure if they were jabbing something in my mouth, or I was just clenching from having someone shoving something up my rear. Not good in either case.

Average weight loss from colonoscopy is 3-5 pounds. It’s cheaper to let insurance pay for a butt flush than forking up the money to upgrade gear and drop 3-5 lbs of pack weight.

Be sure to smash that like and follow button for more backpack hunting tips. Use code WILLY at checkout for 20% your first order of Charmin Ultra Soft.

(Jokes aside, good reminder and I should probably do this)

MTN BUM

Lil-Rokslider
Bump...reminder for you fellas and gals that are another year older and now due for a checkup.
Colon cancer is getting more and more prolific in younger people.

Get those scopes done, this cancer is 100% preventable!
Eh. I will disagree with this one.

Yes, getting much more common. It is not 100% preventable. It is TREATABLE if found early. Thats the purpose. Maybe by prevention you mean removing polyps before they turn into cancer, which is true. But colonoscopies are designed to find cancer early, not prevent it.

If you drew the unlucky straw your choice is poop a lot and do scope now, or poop a lot during chemo later. I know which one sucks less...

Tomorrow....for both wife and me. Our first. Colon issues run in my family so I'm overdue.
Just chugged round one of the purge juice, good lord--gack! Waiting for the purge now....

The worst part is drinking that purge juice. The actual procedure is a breeze, you just sleep right thru it. Good luck.

tony

WKR
I haven’t read all the posts. My doc set me up with Cologuard at home test.
You do the “doo” in a plastic can, seal it up and mail it back and get your results.
I came back negative for colon cancer. My family has about zero cancer history and my blood work PSA was within normal limits.
Cologuard isn't perfect and my doc said a good old scope is as good as it gets. But if you meet the requirements, Cologuard is a good option.

I hope those lab techs are making good money. Because I sent in a load!
And I’m positive UPS isn't stacking those returns gentle and upright.

Oldguy

FNG

Had one in November, and and upper GI. Not a fan at all. The clinic that I was at did about 125 that day.

Z Barebow

Lil-Rokslider
Just had my 2nd one. After this one, I will be on a 3 year cadence. But I have piece of mind we are staying on top on things.

Last edited:
OP
Broomd

Broomd

WKR
Kudos, guys. You're killin' it with these posts.

Nobody likes to have this done, but after 50 (and earlier with family history and high risk cases) it's often a life saver.

Z Barebow

Lil-Rokslider
Whomever coined the product "GoLytle" should be sued for false advertising. If it were named accurately, it would be called "Sh!t your brains out". (But I am obviously not in marketing)

7mm-08

WKR
Wife and I are both scheduled for next week. I have a friend, now about 53, who was diagnosed with colorectal cancer a few years ago. Sad thing is that he thought in his mid-40's he was having issues and went to his internist to discuss the situation. The internist's advice was something along the lines of, "you're not 50 yet, forget about it." My friend FAILED to follow up with a second opinion and was diagnosed with cancer at around 50. Surgery, some number of months with a colostomy, radiation and chemo have gotten him back to functioning, but not perfect results. Probably can't be expected when the surgeon removed the lower six inches of his colon. Still a young guy to be having bowel control issue that may not resolve. Consider getting a colonoscopy at 45 and regular intervals for the rest of your life. They're a piece of cake, except for the prep.

Last edited:

TLB2

FNG
Classified Approved
Its no fun. My dad had 3 scopes done and the doctor wasn"t checking all the way. Another doctor checked him a month later and he had a cancerous polyp close to his appendix

ODB

WKR
I had mine at the end of last year. Easy as pie. The prep was simple, dietary change a couple days before, two big glasses (prep + water then just water). not the gallon people talk about. procedure was easy - although i am an anxious patient. She hit me with the first bit of go-juice and I said, "Wow - that feels tingly." Next thing I know I'm waking up cracking jokes. Other than cleanup, it was about as simple as it gets. I;m on the 10-year plan.

johnsd16

WKR
Eh. I will disagree with this one.

Yes, getting much more common. It is not 100% preventable. It is TREATABLE if found early. Thats the purpose. Maybe by prevention you mean removing polyps before they turn into cancer, which is true. But colonoscopies are designed to find cancer early, not prevent it.

If you drew the unlucky straw your choice is poop a lot and do scope now, or poop a lot during chemo later. I know which one sucks less...
Colonoscopy isn’t perfect but it is in FACT the ONLY CRC screening test that can actually prevent colon cancer by finding and removing precancerous colon polyps. It does actually reduce the “incidence” of colon cancer (the number of new colon cancers occurring in the population) whereas other screening tests only reduce “mortality” from colon cancer (the number of deaths in a population) by detecting it early and getting surgery at an early/curable stage.

Remember by the time you have symptoms it is often “too late” so to speak. By the time colon cancer is causing symptoms it is often stage 3-4. Early stage colon cancer or stage 1-2 very often asymptomatic.

The five year survival of stage 4 is 15% whereas the five year survival of stage 1-2 is 90%.

Get screened by whatever method is right for you.

MTN BUM

Lil-Rokslider
Colonoscopy isn’t perfect but it is in FACT the ONLY CRC screening test that can actually prevent colon cancer by finding and removing precancerous colon polyps. It does actually reduce the “incidence” of colon cancer (the number of new colon cancers occurring in the population) whereas other screening tests only reduce “mortality” from colon cancer (the number of deaths in a population) by detecting it early and getting surgery at an early/curable stage.

Remember by the time you have symptoms it is often “too late” so to speak. By the time colon cancer is causing symptoms it is often stage 3-4. Early stage colon cancer or stage 1-2 very often asymptomatic.

The five year survival of stage 4 is 15% whereas the five year survival of stage 1-2 is 90%.

Get screened by whatever method is right for you.
What I was trying to get across but said more clearly.