Cold weather pants - Sitka, Kuiu, ????

hunt_or_bust

Lil-Rokslider
I've been comparing the Kuiu SD pants and the Sitka Kelvin pants for late season mule deer as well as some goose hunting. Primarily when mule deer hunting late season, It'll be hike a mile or 2 then sit and glass for an hour or two. I'm thinking the Sitka Kelvin pants just because they are synthetic and being a pant it's a little more likely the bottoms will get wet from snow and building up some ice. I think Synthetic would hold up a bit better here. Are there any other options out there that are worth a look? Anyone have experience with the Sitka Kelvin pants and what temperature they will work for? What do you wear over top of them?

Previously worn merino bottoms, columbia omni heat sweat pants, and bibs over top. It works, but that system is heavy/bulky and not easy to peel off and put back on.

Thanks in advance.

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member

Ruskin

WKR
I used the first lite boundary pants. Worked well from 30' - 45' while I was active. Easily can be extended with a base layer. Has built in gators

danarnold

WKR
my buddy has the kelvin pants but hasnt used them much, I wore the fanatic bibs in some dam cold weather and was plenty warm, just had a merino base and unzipped while moving then closed em up while sitting, nice bibs

not sure how much warmth you are looking for but the brooks range cirro pants are pretty interesting. very light weight at 11oz and, although it doesnt say, they are probably filled with 60g primaloft one (same as their cirro jacket/hoody). No experience with them but I have a cirro anorak on the way.

Trr15

WKR
Mountain hardwear makes some nice stuff. I picked up a pair of their puffy synthetic pants about a year ago (can't recall the model/name). I've worm them only a few times, but I'm pleased so far.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
I have Mountain Hardwear compressors I bought several years ago while they were still made with Primaloft. They are great and the full side zips makes for easy on/off.

OP
H

hunt_or_bust

Lil-Rokslider
I would def like the full zips. That's the only reason I haven't ordered the sitka pants yet.

ScottP

WKR
I would def like the full zips. That's the only reason I haven't ordered the sitka pants yet.

The Black Diamond pants I mentioned above have full leg zips. I won't use a puffy or rain pant w/out full leg zips. I'd say go with what you can find the best deal on...

I own Kuiu and Sitka gear, but if I'm reaching for a cold weather pant from now on it'll be the First Lite Northbranch. Extremely warm and I like the design.