Best Pants for Warm Weather Cactus/Thorns with Kneepads?

I'm looking for durable, uninsulated pants that can hold/have integrated kneepads. I love my Sitka mountain pants, but those are too hot (would be amazing with hip vents). I have the Sitka Ascent pants, which would be great except the fabric is too delicate for busting brush chasing javelina/barbary sheep.

Kuiu Pros look like they might fit the bill (though colors are limited and the camo clashes with my "aesthetic"). I might just bite the bullet and give these a shot.

Ideal features:
Durable outer layer
No insulation
Kneepads
Hip vents
Cargo pockets
Solid colors
Some stretch is nice
Not skinny jeans fit

Any recommendations?

AaronL50

FNG
It sounds like you just described my first lite corrugate foundry pants. I think i have had them for 2 seasons.

They have knee pads, hip vents, generous pockets, feel lightweight imo.

I’ve chased turkeys and squirrels in them on 60-70 degree days.

I have no experience with how they hold up against cactus but I can say they have held up really well against thick briars and brush while hunting rabbits. I’m noticing some slight wear/pilling at the bottom of each leg of the pants. No holes or any major damage.
Gaiters should eliminate any damage to the lower legs of the pants.

I have both the kuiu pros and the corrugate foundry’s. FWIW I tend to like kuiu pants more than most.

the foundry’s are fine but the fit just doesn’t work for me. Apart from fit, I found I preferred mesh lined hip vents. Good pants otherwise.

the pros seem spot on for what you are looking for. They aren’t any skinnier than other kuiu pants, but I need to size up to make them work in the seat and thighs. The knee pads work but they are not as Cush as the first lite or Sitka foam pads.

if you are really dealing with some nasty thorns you may want to look at some of the brush pant offerings.

yfarm

WKR
I’m a big fan of synthetic stretchy pant for hunting for moisture control and comfort in hot weather but resistance to cactus spine is not a strong suit. Fell into a patch of prickly pear in January after losing my balance and ended up with over a hundred of the big thorns and glochids in my backside and arms. Went thru the pants like nothing and penetrated 2 layers on upper body the same way. Got every one out, next day wore old Carhartt 10oz canvas jeans not carpenter pants thru the same environment, walking thru the patches and the canvas was more resistant to penetration, glochids did not go as far thru the fabric and did’nt reach skin. Was wearing knee high cordura snake boots which were impervious to the thorns, could just brush them off the boots with a gloved hand. Sometimes will wear cordura chaps over the pants but heat becomes an issue. Cut a pr of chaps off just below the knee and wear those with snake boots and shorts, ventilation is better. Brush pants have the same heat control issue hunting in heavy cover in the 70s and 80s. Also have FL Sawbucks and Patagonia field pants, both very comfortable but not as thorn resistant to cactus. Have hunted oryx,ibex, aoudad and quail in NM and had no issues in normal synthetic pants in the areas I was hunting.

Last edited:

Reddish

Lil-Rokslider
Carhartt double front pants are my go to. They are warm, but you won’t get thorns and cactus in your legs.

ZRob97

Lil-Rokslider
If you're not set on the knee pads, I picked up a pair of orvis missouri breaks pants for quail this year and love them. Very tough but lighter material on the upper portion to stay cooler

Gone4Days

WKR
no knee pads but the kuiu kutana are my favorite pants and I am an AZ hunter who deals with warm weather and pokey things.

ForlohFamily

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I'm looking for durable, uninsulated pants that can hold/have integrated kneepads. I love my Sitka mountain pants, but those are too hot (would be amazing with hip vents). I have the Sitka Ascent pants, which would be great except the fabric is too delicate for busting brush chasing javelina/barbary sheep.

Kuiu Pros look like they might fit the bill (though colors are limited and the camo clashes with my "aesthetic"). I might just bite the bullet and give these a shot.

Ideal features:
Durable outer layer
No insulation
Kneepads
Hip vents
Cargo pockets
Solid colors
Some stretch is nice
Not skinny jeans fit

Any recommendations?
Forloh -

AllClima Stretch Woven Pant

OP
swavescatter
Well I picked up some Stone Glacier De Haviland Lite pants from sportsman’s. Gotta say I’m pretty disappointed in quality.

My first attempt to gently open the novel buckle snapped the plastic flange off. I rotated it gently instead of just pushing it forward.

Dang. Last thing I needed right now before trying to jam in a hunt is another chore. Guess I’ll roll with what I got and return these when I get back.

f943b74ce7cf8f1d5906558e95f154ea.jpg

giphy.gif

Big thumbs down Stone Glacier.

OP
swavescatter
Just an update I found time to exchange the Stone Glaciers. Spent a couple days in them though not too much rough hiking.

Takeaways:

Pant material is ok, tougher than my Sitka Ascents.

Vents are awesome.

Buckle/zipper system is cheap and sucks. Just make properly sized waist options!

I’ll look into picking up some of those Fjallraven pants I think. Maybe kuiu as well.