CO Wolf Introduction Public Comment

welkin

FNG
So if either of those are a little inconvenient or more expensive for modern society... I don't care.
Truthfully wolves are inconvenient for a very very tiny portion of the population here. Barely anyone relies on cattle ranching in the west for income and those who do hurt elk and deer numbers more than a few wolves do. Native herbivores having to compete with cows for feed and water and space is more of a population cap by far.

Truthfully wolves are inconvenient for a very very tiny portion of the population here. Barely anyone relies on cattle ranching in the west for income and those who do hurt elk and deer numbers more than a few wolves do. Native herbivores having to compete with cows for feed and water and space is more of a population cap by far.
I agree with that completely.

so if you are a cattle man or sheep guy and your herd starts getting stressed and you loose numbers and or gains its no big deal, no body ranches any more anyway….. got it.

CO-cattle
36k ranches @32 million acrs
2.65 Million head of cattle
2.3 million slaughtered @ 2.8 Billion in revenue

CO-sheep

8% of the entire US numbers
#3 state in sheep production
1.8 billion a year in revenue

cattle and sheep are $5.6 Billion a years to CO… but nobody does it anymore…

wolf inpact on sheep and live stock is well document. lot more to economic loss then just death loss.

infact there will be more cattle and elk competition and ag problems with wolves as wolves push herds out of high areas into lower open country.

Last edited:

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
CPW should really be focusing on relocating all non-native Colorado residents back to their historic range
What about adopted natives like myself?😀 I didn’t have much choice being ten years old at the time of moving here.

Im looking at the silver lining, hoping the wolves prioritize chomping down sheep and cattle in the wilderness areas. Its absurd how many of Colorado's most beautiful and productive alpine basins are hammered with the headwater riparian areas mashed into mud pits by livestock. Id prefer beef and lamb doubled in price and livestock numbers were cut in half on our mountains. The bells, the collegiates, the gore, the san juans, all overgrazed in my book.

Im looking at the silver lining, hoping the wolves prioritize chomping down sheep and cattle in the wilderness areas. Its absurd how many of Colorado's most beautiful and productive alpine basins are hammered with the headwater riparian areas mashed into mud pits by livestock. Id prefer beef and lamb doubled in price and livestock numbers were cut in half on our mountains. The bells, the collegiates, the gore, the san juans, all overgrazed in my book.
you will get what you want, then you will get to watch depredation tags go to an all time high as wolves run elk out of the high country and back in to the plains where its 99% ag and private land…. You will be the first to cry about private land owners shooting your elk in July and Feb and you having zero access to them

Last edited:
Have depredation tags increased and elk distributions shifted to favoring private lands in other states post wolf reintroduction? Id appreciate some sources about that, as that is not my understanding.

you will get what you want, then you will get to watch depredation tags go to an all time high as wolves run elk out of the high country and back in to the plains where its 99% ag and private land…. You will be the first to cry about private land owners shooting your elk in July and Feb and you having zero access to them
Sounds like fear mongering.

displaced-

206 head of elk dispatched in Idaho in Magic Valley… why weren't they going back to high country?

its already proven why, they are safer from wolves in open country.

displacedcali 206 head of elk dispatched in Idaho in Magic Valley… why weren't they going back to high country?
Yet the complaints about elk hunting in Idaho are about the website, not depredation tags and 99% of the elk being on private land.

Side bar, I'll never live in Cali, but there's definitely some really cool and beautiful places there.

Yet the complaints about elk hunting in Idaho are about the website, not depredation tags and 99% of the elk being on private land.

Side bar, I'll never live in Cali, but there's definitely some really cool and beautiful places there.
? No they culled 200 plus elk on ag land because they weren’t dispersing back up to high country, you will see the exact same thing in CO in a few years when State Agriculture trumps wildlife and issues summer or late winter depredation permits.

there will be a long thread on RS when it happens griping about land owners not letting hunters tresspass and give them Hunting access in March or July..lol

Last edited:
? No they culled 200 plus elk on ag land because they weren’t dispersing back up to high country, you will see the exact same thing in CO in a few years when State Agriculture trumps wildlife and issues summer or late winter depredation permits.

there will be a long thread on RS when it happens griping about land owners not letting hunters tresspass and give them Hunting access in March or July..lol
Like we see about Idaho?

Like we see about Idaho?
and Montana and Wyoming.

no secret wolves push elk herds out of higher elevations into more open country where elk have better defenses against them.

you can even see similar observations in the Gila with the smaller Mexican wolf.

and Montana and Wyoming.

no secret wolves push elk herds out of higher elevations into more open country where elk have better defenses against them.

you can even see similar observations in the Gila with the smaller Mexican wolf.
Please post links to all these complaints...

I'm not saying wolves won't impact ungulates.

But places that already have wolves (or grizzlies) are not the unhuntable wastelands that we constantly hear currently productive hunting areas will become if wolves are there.

Please post links to all these complaints...

I'm not saying wolves won't impact ungulates.

But places that already have wolves (or grizzlies) are not the unhuntable wastelands that we constantly hear currently productive hunting areas will become if wolves are there.

you are smart enough to google.

its not always about population numbers, its about time of year and herd moving out of or not being in traditional areas.

magic valley idaho -200 plus depredation tags

Geneva Idaho $61k in depredation pay outs

These are just a few quick search that are controversial remedies for elk being in specific low land areas when they shouldnt be there in those numbers. Why? Because being chased out of a field by a farmer is safer then the timber

same thing will happen in CO. Predation will push more elk into conflict areas and the remedy wont be in hunters interest

you are smart enough to google.

its not always about population numbers, its about time of year and herd moving out of or not being in traditional areas.

magic valley idaho -200 plus depredation tags

Geneva Idaho $61k in depredation pay outs

These are just a few quick search that are controversial remedies for elk being in specific low land areas when they shouldnt be there in those numbers. Why? Because being chased out of a field by a farmer is safer then the timber

same thing will happen in CO. Predation will push more elk into conflict areas and the remedy wont be in hunters interest
Then adapt to the herd not being in traditional areas.