CO unit 62 1st season advice

Cody_W

WKR
A buddy and I drew successfully this year for elk trying a new unit. If anyone is from around the area or has hunted it I would love some insight. We will be packing in and aren’t going to get to see the land beforehand. Will probably drive up a few days before opening day to check out a few areas.

Thank y’all,
CW

It is a fun unit. It can be very busy with hunters though. Seems like Love Mesa and Kelso creek area are pretty popular and get a lot of success. I hunt 2nd rifle in 62 and feel like we have more success by paying attention to where all the hunting pressure is and trying to get away from it. I’m not sure what 1st season is like there though. The elk probably haven’t been pressured yet like they are by and during 2nd rifle.

Rhatter

FNG
Dry creek off of the rim road/highway 90 is descent. If your packing in you will want to get in a ways off the main roads in that unit. Lots of traffic/hunters around the main roads

OP
Cody_W

Cody_W

WKR
Hey guys, the hunt is getting close. If anyone else has some advice I would sure appreciate a dm with anything you would care to share.

Gapmaster

WKR
Not being an ass here but...
There’s a reason no one is responding to your questions. When you ask for specific information just out if the blue, you’ll likely get nothing useful. Every time a unit # or ridge name, etc gets put on a forum it’s there for the whole world to see. Nobody is going to give out info that they’ve had to work to find themselves. Search this forum for what you want to know. I promise there is a thread somewhere that will help. And as far as the crowds go...you’re asking about a OTC unit during rifle..there’s no getting away from the people. Just deal with it like everyone else. Good luck on finding elk and hope you have an enjoyable hunt.

jutteal

FNG
gapmaster, your not being an ass. I appreciate your insight as to how to approach forums. I have never hunted outside of Indiana/Ohio so completely new to the concept of asking strangers for advice.

Again appreciate the insight

Gapmaster

WKR
gapmaster, your not being an ass. I appreciate your insight as to how to approach forums. I have never hunted outside of Indiana/Ohio so completely new to the concept of asking strangers for advice.

Again appreciate the insight
it’s a delicate situation really. How do you get answers to your questions without asking?? I know how you feel. We’ve all been there. But honestly there’s a ton of info out there on the web, just gotta search it out.

vectordawg

Lil-Rokslider
@Cody_W there is a good glassing point over looking the East Fork Spring Creek. You see for miles from there but getting to the elk is tough. You’re looking at hours of hard hiking to get out there. I’ve never rifle hunted there but have bow hunted that unit several times. It is very crowded and covered in oak brush. My buddies are going back for archery but I’m sitting out this year. Good luck!