Co high country cutthroat fishing pointers

Clarence

WKR
Taking the family on a trek through Co and Ut for the next few weeks. Wanted to reach out to the community on some pointers for catching cutthroat trout, in the Co high country lakes. I have seen fish in the body of water we will be fishing. Water is at treeline, and spinning tackle will be used by my kids. I am a poor excuse for a fisherman, but my kids are pretty into it. Looking for some help what I should pack up there for tackle. Feel free to p.m. if that is preferable.

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

With kids and spinning gear, use a clear float with nymphs 3' underneath, reel slowly, pause, count to five, repeat. Hard to tell which nymph without knowing which lakes. Take some dark, some light colors. Slip floats work especially well because you can change the depth so easily.

fishslap

WKR
Same as above and also try some black bead head woolly buggers. Small kastmasters should work also if there is some deeper water. Make sure you’re using 4-6lb (no heavier) fluorocarbon line to make casting smaller stuff easier.

I use a small spinning setup with 4-6lb mono to a clear bubble and a three foot leader of 2lb flouro. Two weeks ago, the fish hit pistol Petes, little beadheaded flies, and big leggy bastards.

OP
Clarence

Clarence

WKR
I have them rigged with 6lb mono. I have a full panther arsenal and some small cast masters. I will need to do some home work on rigging a slip float/nymphs and wooly boogers. (I am pretty basic on the fishing, but really appreciate the direction on upping our game). Thanks for the replies fellas!

You could even take some dry flies like elk hair caddis or hoppers and cast them out with a bobber and your kids would likely catch a bunch, just teach them to set the hook fast. Good luck have fun!

Like LongWayAround said...

Use a torpedo bobber and a pistol pete fly in tow about 5-6 feet behind the bobber. You can sling it out quite far with the bobber as the weight, and the fly with a flashy propeller on the front works really well. You can buy the Pistol Petes at Walmart or Cabelas.

Black maribou jigs with flashy strips of plastic in the skirt work well too...

trekinit

FNG
Ants, beetles, and hoppers are great topwater options. Wooly Buggers, midges, scuds, and pheasant tails are great subsurface options.
In my experience, the fish feed pretty heavily in the short window they have without ice. Keep the leader and tippet as light as possible and watch your shadow and you should catch em all!
If you aren't into fly fishing and/or throwing flies on an ultralight spinning setup, Mepps Agila spinners will also do the trick.

OP
Clarence

Clarence

WKR
Thanks guys! They were feeding heavy on top water. Tiny elk hair flies with a clear bobber were the ticket. Anything flashy, or if they saw a hook, they turned their nose at it. Had a ball, and got the kids on some fish! Thanks again fellas!
fee8496f09f747c03f9b4d4597ee1c91.jpg