CO GMU 62 Fall Bear

JoshTX

WKR
I am going to be doing a fourth rifle season elk hunt on private land in unit 62…near Ridgway. I have been told that there are quite a few bears in the area and am wondering if that time of year they have already started hibernation or they are still out and about packing on the calories. Is it worth picking up a bear tag?

Appreciate any insight..

Josh

dlee56

WKR
I’d imagine they are all held up by then. Unless it’s unusually warm and there’s unusually a lot of forage around.

Males hibernate in mid-December and emerge in mid-March, whereas females give birth in the winter, stay with their cubs for two years, and stay in their dens longer, from late November to mid-April... depends on which you are trying to hunt.. but i just think you should widen your search range and you will get result. at this time of there year there are active.

yak

Lil-Rokslider
If you have a bear tag in your pocket, your probably not going to see anything. If you don't, you'll see a bear.

Kidding aside, I haven't seen a bear while elk hunting 4th rifle. I go out most years and seen lots of kill sites without any sign of bear.

dlee56

WKR
Thank you sir. I have never hunted bears so don't really know much about their behavior.
Black bears only semi-hibernate and will only do so if there’s not enough accessible food. So if it’s cold and the snow is flying and all the berries and acorns are gone then that’s when they hibernate.
In warmer more plentiful places like California and back east sometimes bears won’t even hibernate, and that’s how they get so big out there, eating and growing year round.

OP
JoshTX

JoshTX

WKR
If you have a bear tag in your pocket, your probably not going to see anything. If you don't, you'll see a bear.

Kidding aside, I haven't seen a bear while elk hunting 4th rifle. I go out most years and seen lots of kill sites without any sign of bear.
Lmao. Have experienced this first hand on two separate fall archery elk hunts. No tag…saw plenty of bears in bow range including a color phase. Thanks for the input

OP
JoshTX

JoshTX

WKR
Males hibernate in mid-December and emerge in mid-March, whereas females give birth in the winter, stay with their cubs for two years, and stay in their dens longer, from late November to mid-April... depends on which you are trying to hunt.. but i just think you should widen your search range and you will get result. at this time of there year there are active.
Appreciate it sir. This is a rifle elk hunt but was told to buy a bear tag. I am skeptical

OP
JoshTX

JoshTX

WKR
Black bears only semi-hibernate and will only do so if there’s not enough accessible food. So if it’s cold and the snow is flying and all the berries and acorns are gone then that’s when they hibernate.
In warmer more plentiful places like California and back east sometimes bears won’t even hibernate, and that’s how they get so big out there, eating and growing year round.
Very helpful advice. Thanks

Ucsdryder

WKR
I saw two bears in unit 61 which is across the road. That was third rifle, which is only a week before. It was a fairly warm third rifle last year. I say, get the bear tag and save an elk calf!