CO G12 2nd season goat

Fozzy26

Lil-Rokslider
Hey everybody!

A good buddy of mine struck gold, and drew both his sheep tag and his goat tag for this year. I know, luckily bastard! I am looking to talk with some people that have hunted the area to confirm some access points, general drainages, ect. Luckily, the sheep tag is in our backyard, so we won't have any issue getting out to scout that, but all of us have brand new babies (something in the water over here), and getting over into the G12 area is going be a bit more difficult. I have been in the unit once before for a 4 day period, so am somewhat familiar, but have some additional questions. I know the hunter and his brother are planning to go over once or twice this summer. Any type of info would be appreciated. Like I said, ive been over there before, and have a couple plans I think will work well, but want to confirm.

One problem he is going to run into is that the goat hunt is smack dab in the middle of the sheep hunt. We plan to have sheep found and be able to kill quickly on that hunt, and be able to spend a good amount of time for the goat, considering we would be able to scout it as much. But as we know, that doesn't always work out, and if we aren't able to fill the sheep tag before the goat hunt opens, it may cut down on the days dedicated to the goat, so going in with a good plan would be ideal. Thanks for all the help!

Make sure ur in shape, we harvested a goat in 1 day last year. If ur not super picky just find where the hikers are and follow them, the goats are basically tame in the unit now. To many people feeding them and taking selfies. Bigger Billy’s are going to be away from crowds for the most part. Be smart where you shoot them and what’s around, last year some guys were shooting over other hunters from like 1200 yards away, while the guys were stalking the goat, so watch ur surroundings to. From what I heard the guys shooting 1200 shot 7-8 times then left and never even went to see if they hit the goat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Fozzy26

Fozzy26

Lil-Rokslider
Make sure ur in shape, we harvested a goat in 1 day last year. If ur not super picky just find where the hikers are and follow them, the goats are basically tame in the unit now. To many people feeding them and taking selfies. Bigger Billy’s are going to be away from crowds for the most part. Be smart where you shoot them and what’s around, last year some guys were shooting over other hunters from like 1200 yards away, while the guys were stalking the goat, so watch ur surroundings to. From what I heard the guys shooting 1200 shot 7-8 times then left and never even went to see if they hit the goat.

Ya for sure. Are you around that area? I know it’s CO and weather is obviously unpredictable but I was born and raised in the southern part of the state and even though still living at elevation, we don’t get good snow usually until later on. I’d be interested to know typical snow/weather by late September/early Oct

It’s in my permitted outfitting area, usually snow doesn’t hit us until around the 10th of Oct