CO First timer GMU 62

jutteal

FNG
Hey All,

A friend and I are heading out to 62 this year for 3rd rifle. We aren't kidding ourselves that we are going to be taking home a trophy bull the first time out and that isn't the goal. We are just hoping to learn and start developing strategies for the years coming. I have done a lot of research on main areas to go, but my fear is they will get too crowded. Has anyone had luck in 62 getting away from the crowds? Honestly just getting out and seeing some cows while glassing would be a victory for us.

Thanks in advance.

OP
jutteal

jutteal

FNG
Some areas we are discussing and would be curious on peoples feedback are. Love Mesa, Long Point, Kelso Mesa, Moore Mesa, and Dry creek basin.

I know those are popular areas, just curious if anyone has any opinions on them

WTFJohn

WKR
Some areas we are discussing and would be curious on peoples feedback are. Love Mesa, Long Point, Kelso Mesa, Moore Mesa, and Dry creek basin.

I know those are popular areas, just curious if anyone has any opinions on them

@jutteal You have 3 posts/thread active on unit ** now, and have been given a few areas and pointers. Maybe you want someone to drop you a pin? Any info given out on Rokslide (especially posted in the open) is not going to be private information. It's permanently cataloged on the internet and now anyone searching unit 62 elk hunting is going to find it.

Good luck, I hope someone gives you the help you're looking for. Don't forget to bring drinks and business cards to hand out to all the other guys that read your posts and decided to hunt 'your' plan & 'your' hunter-free locations.

11boo

WKR
Bring tire chains and any vehicle extrication gear you have. The way 2020 is going there will be epic snow, early.

OP
jutteal

jutteal

FNG
@jutteal You have 3 posts/thread active on unit ** now, and have been given a few areas and pointers. Maybe you want someone to drop you a pin? Any info given out on Rokslide (especially posted in the open) is not going to be private information. It's permanently cataloged on the internet and now anyone searching unit 62 elk hunting is going to find it.

Good luck, I hope someone gives you the help you're looking for. Don't forget to bring drinks and business cards to hand out to all the other guys that read your posts and decided to hunt 'your' plan & 'your' hunter-free locations.

WTFJohn, apologies. Brand new to the forums my strategy was to get questions out in front of as many people as possible. Never was my intention to get secret spots. Like I mentioned just wanted to get out in hopes of seeing just a few cows and being out in the mountains.

WTFJohn

WKR
WTFJohn, apologies. Brand new to the forums my strategy was to get questions out in front of as many people as possible. Never was my intention to get secret spots. Like I mentioned just wanted to get out in hopes of seeing just a few cows and being out in the mountains.

You're good, this post is just as much for the next guy as it is you. It's easy to imagine yourself all alone in the expanses of the west, but the reality is those days are kind of gone in Colorado. The best advice anyone can give you besides what you already have is to get good boots, in good physical condition, and know your own limitations. If you've got that covered, then you can make smart decisions on your own once you're on the ground. Can you really get over that ridge and kill an elk then pack it out? Or should you work within the drainage you're in, using your energy more wisely to find one of a fewer number of elk?

The min/max elevation in Ohio is 455ft / 1549ft, Indiana is 355 ft / 1257 ft. The first 'hill' you're going to get to as you leave Denver is Green Mountain and has a min/max of ~6000 ft / 6800 ft (which is over 70% of your whole states' elevation); a quick glance at a random part of 62 has elevations from 5600 ft to over 9000 ft. Be realistic with your hunt plans, you might find yourself more effective covering shorter distances in multiple areas vs breaking yourself on the terrain trying to get miles away from other people. Focus less on places with names and more on places that will have the food/water/cover elk need and you'll be fine.

gbflyer

WKR
Cows will be spotted daily. Beef cows. And ATV’s. The unit has become a year around ATV course with its various unimproved roads and ATV specific trails. They graze the ever loving piss out of it also, the land managers must do their “managing” on google earth. It is a magnificent country, and the unit is staggering in size. You’ll see what I mean when you get there. It’s mesa then canyon then mesa, rinse and repeat. It’s not unusual for a spooked group of elk to cross one or two drainages in what seems like minutes. And these are not small or easy going places. They will hang on the rim, they get one whiff of you and take a few steps and they disappear. They are ghosts.

Don’t be afraid to hunt near roads and trails. I’ve seen and taken elk in that unit within earshot of serious ATV activity. It’s almost like the animals have gotten used to it.

I don’t live there any more but go back once in a while. I assure you there is nothing sacred there and no secrets. Success rates are low. Oh yes there are a ton of bears and lions. Can’t be good for the calves.

OP
jutteal

jutteal

FNG
Different angle, we are heading to 62 thanks for all the input. My final question is... is there a good watering hole (bar). If we don't see elk we gotta have fun right!?

sndmn11

WKR
My final question is... is there a good watering hole (bar). If we don't see elk we gotta have fun right!?

No, DUIs are never fun and the people who live and work in the community don't want to share the road with impaired drivers. Get a bear tag for the most opportunities of fun, and put your adult pants on when coming out here to "hunt".

vectordawg

Lil-Rokslider
Find Dave Wood Road and head south. There is a cattle crossing guard at the parking area. Ride an ATV or walk due west on the trail until you get to a canyon rim. You’ll probably be able to glass some elk from there but getting to them ain’t easy! You’ll be hours of hard hiking from them. You’ve probably heard 62 is crowded and it is. “The most heavily hunted unit in CO”, game warden quote 3 years ago. I can only imagine how many more people are gonna be there this year. If you go into Montrose, The Horsefly has great burgers!

Fatcamp

WKR
Bring tire chains and any vehicle extrication gear you have. The way 2020 is going there will be epic snow, early.

Oh, man. Fingers crossed for massive second season blizzard.

That would be epic.

gbflyer

WKR
Different angle, we are heading to 62 thanks for all the input. My final question is... is there a good watering hole (bar). If we don't see elk we gotta have fun right!?

Several local knife and gun clubs in Montrose and Delta.