CO Elk hunt — Let’s see some photos of rag horns

Just wait until one comes running in on a string, smashing through the woods like a freight train, stops at 30 yards behind some brush, and rips off a bugle so loud it vibrates and thumps your chest!!!!!

Had one last season cover about 300 yards in 10 seconds to my calling. With two arrows in him I could never find him. Notched tag with no meat is the worst. Changing broadheads this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maverick1

WKR
Just curious... would you mind sharing which one?
@Portabeardo - please do not share the type of broadhead you used unsuccessfully last year. Doing so will have the potential to throw the thread down a broadhead or shot placement rabbit hole and outside of what the OP is looking for - - - "CO Elk hunt — Let’s see some photos of rag horns". Things did not turn out the way you would have liked, hope you are more fortunate this season! Good luck, shoot strait!

Back onto the raghorn express, post up some more pictures!

OP
hoosierhunter11
Hope come September 23 (last day of my hunt), I can post my bull! Great photos, everyone. Thanks for sharing

cnelk

WKR
I’ve killed so many rags, cows and even a couple calves.

Shoot whatever’s legal and have fun.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
I’ve killed so many rags, cows and even a couple calves.

Shoot whatever’s legal and have fun.
Have you noticed any difference in meat from big bulls, rag horns, old cows, younger cows, and calves? I know you've killed a pile of elk. I assume diet has more to do with meat flavor than age of animal? That has been my experience in most cases with big game in various states.

khunter

Lil-Rokslider
Oh man I have plenty of Colo archery raghorns! LOL Here are a couple.

This one you can trust me looks bigger upside down than when I got it rolled over. Tiny bull elk I was happy to have in the situation I was in that day. Arrow hit him so hard it flipped him!

ElkCoRaghorn.jpg

Another Colo OTC shrimp of a bull I was happy to arrow some years ago. That year in a weeks time I arrowed this bull, a bear and a mule deer at 10,000 ft all within 1/4 mile of where killed this bull. Fun times. Like a lot of guys, for so many hunts in various states with a great tag I pass on 300" bulls over and over looking for Mr. Big and succeed or go home tag in hand and happy....and the years it is OTC am just as thrilled to tag a raghorn. They are all great memories and learning experiences.
ElkCoRaghorn2.jpg

@Portabeardo - please do not share the type of broadhead you used unsuccessfully last year. Doing so will have the potential to throw the thread down a broadhead or shot placement rabbit hole and outside of what the OP is looking for - - - "CO Elk hunt — Let’s see some photos of rag horns". Things did not turn out the way you would have liked, hope you are more fortunate this season! Good luck, shoot strait!

Back onto the raghorn express, post up some more pictures!

Oh, I hadn’t planned on jumping down the broadhead rabbit hole here. I’ll just say I didn’t get the penetration I thought I should’ve and going back to something for my confidence and not because they “failed”. Anybody that wants to know details can PM me.

Keep those raghorn pics coming. My goal is to get a five point as I’ve never gotten anything with points counting over 9 with any big game animal. The one last year was a 4x5.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
hoosierhunter11
This really shows my inexperience with elk but when does a bull graduate from rag horn status? What is a true branch antlered bull? It seems there is no consensus on these terms.

When you spend $800+ on a license and $1000+ on gas it makes it very hard for my group to pass on bulls. Even though some may call them rag horns we have been pickled tink to get them.

We may never kill a herd bull. We are too busy killing bulls like these.

IMG_3985.JPGf4d51b11.jpgIMG_0887.jpgIMG_2574.JPGIMG_2486.JPG

I did pass up on this bull this past year. So, I must be developing into a trophy elk hunter! lol

Screenshot 2024-07-30 161138.png