CO Elk Archery Week Preference

Rentuh01

FNG
Hello, first post and obviously new to the forum. My buddy and I are driving out from Richmond, VA and doing an OTC Archery hunt in September 2017 but we are having a dispute that I am hoping to get your input on. In your opinion would it be better to hunt before or after the muzzleloader season?

I am thinking that a day or two after muzzleloader the Elk will have calmed down enough that we shouldn't have too much of an issue and it should line up with peak rut and the new moon phase to keep them moving during the day. He argues that the muzzleloader crowd will put a hurting on the herds and split everyone up into smaller more concentrated pockets, making it harder to score.

I know this could be debated for days but any help would be appreciated. This will be our first but hopefully not our last Elk hunt and many of you have experienced both sides of the ML season. Thank you in advance for your time.

Beendare

WKR
Yep, an argument can be made for early, middle late. It really depends on how you hunt. Personally, I would hunt early different than I would hunt late. A guy can catch them early in prime habitat areas that you have scouted. This changes as the season goes on and then later hunter pressure becomes a big factor.

Elk are less vocal early...but I think a guy has to remember; they are still there! So you can call them with the right strategy [and those strategies vary with conditions] but they are more likely to come in quiet early- so plan accordingly. For example, you need to have a well thought out setup- wind, shooting lanes, etc- hen calling early season. Bugling every 100 yds down the trail is NEVER good...but its worthless early.

Late season the elk are more vocal so easier to pinpoint and then try to stalk close or get in and try to call them. They are more likely to be herded up....and maybe a little call shy by then too. Running and gunning in the later part of the season will generally work better than early....though its hunting and there are always plenty of exceptions to the above.

Cover a lot of ground to find the pockets they are using then plan accordingly. Good luck.

edit; this subject has been debated to death on all of the forums.......so if you really want to get confused- grin- do some searches

OP
Rentuh01

Rentuh01

FNG
Thanks guys, I appreciate the help. I have researched this all over the internet but I guess I'll just have to pull the trigger and hunt based on what week I choose (thanks Beendare). As for hunting location, that's a whole 'nother can of worms that I won't open on this forum for awhile. I have tons of research to do on that front still.

cnelk

WKR
No matter what week you decide, something to remember is in most OTC hunting can be WAAAAYYYY better during mid-week, Tues - Thurs, opposed to weekends....

I have killed elk in each week of the season and each week has its own advantages and disadvantages.

When you decide, just be sure to spend AS MUCH TIME AS YOU CAN IN THE ELK WOODS... it goes by way too quick

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Every week has its advantages and disadvantages IMO. Just depends on what kind of experience you're after. If you're used to sitting and you're a patient hunter, it's pretty easy to call bulls in during the early season.....but they generally come in silent. I'm not patient enough to deal with that and normally just bust those bulls out. I probably called in two dozen silent bulls this year, and only had maybe two shot opportunities on those because I'm always on the move.

Later in the season they'll be more vocal, but most likely harder to call in because of previous pressure and experiences. Hunting herd bulls is fun, but then you also have to deal with every satellite and cow that is around them. A good herd bull generally won't be called away from their cows. But that time of year can be the most fun, even if you don't bring anything home.

Also might depend on how many muzzleloader tags are issued for the unit you plan to hunt. Remember thats a draw hunt and the licenses are limited.

Also might depend on how many muzzleloader tags are issued for the unit you plan to hunt. Remember thats a draw hunt and the licenses are limited.

this^^^^^

I can't speak for all units but the one's I've hunted haven't had enough ML hunters to make me think I shouldn't go during that week. I certainly wouldn't let that be the deciding factor from what I've seen (although others may have different experiences)

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I always heard this but this year I went the last weekend of muzzleloader season and they were every where never so happy when Monday came around.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

this^^^^^

I can't speak for all units but the one's I've hunted haven't had enough ML hunters to make me think I shouldn't go during that week. I certainly wouldn't let that be the deciding factor from what I've seen (although others may have different experiences)

In the past five years I can only remember seeing one group of two guys out muzzle loading during archery

OP
Rentuh01

Rentuh01

FNG
I reckon I could hunt the whole month but I don't think I'd have a wife when I got home.....

Hmmm 2 birds, one stone?

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
In the past five years I can only remember seeing one group of two guys out muzzle loading during archery

I don't always see them beforehand, but in the last few years I've called in 3 different bulls that a ML hunter shot. One of those was a 380" toad in 2014 that I was working for about 20 minutes in 2014. A ML hunter worked in while I was keeping him busy and shot him. Another one was this year when I avoided the ML season. I showed back up that last Sunday of ML and figured by that evening most the ML hunters would already be gone. Called a bull up and a ML hunter shot him. Funny thing is.....that was just above where Realunlucky was that evening. I did see a lot of ML hunters this year and there were only 35 bull tags and 40 cow tags in the entire unit.

Other than that......I like hunting that week as well.

Last edited: