CO 2023 Estimated Harvest is up

Co needs to make mandatory call ins if you tag out. Without it it’s all bs!
It blew my mind that this isn’t a thing in the west when it’s been mandatory in the Midwest since forever.

In Ohio we have an estimated 750,000 deer and it’s mandatory to check your deer within 24 hrs of harvest.

Yet in the west with super low game densities, where management needs to me much more controlled it’s not a thing. It’s nuts when you think about it.

I get without cell or internet access harvest reporting is a bit more logistically difficult, but still. Give people a week to report but make it mandatory so we have better population estimates and better management. Or better yet go to all e tags.

Walthers

FNG
Even California requires you to tell them if you are successful or not. If you don’t you get charged $25 before you can buy a tag the next year. Crazy Colorado doesn’t have a requirement.

Hnthrdr

WKR
Thanks for posting still mind blown about how we can’t figure out mandatory reporting and get a handle on actual game numbers… also mind blown on how many dudes are lining up to hunt some of these archery units with 3-4% odds success haha

Ucsdryder

WKR
Thanks for posting still mind blown about how we can’t figure out mandatory reporting and get a handle on actual game numbers… also mind blown on how many dudes are lining up to hunt some of these archery units with 3-4% odds success haha
It’s mind blowing that people even look at the harvest stats. 😂

Hnthrdr

WKR
It’s mind blowing that people even look at the harvest stats. 😂
True, might as well put some chicken bones in the pot and pull some tarot cards and ask Beelzebub on what your success odds were from last year… essentially that’s where we are at…

57k+ responses on 178k licenses issued is more than enough to draw meaningful conclusions at the state level. Some of the units with a lower number of tags issued may struggle, but in general the standard error and 95% confidence bounds reporting that they use are really a good example of best practices in action.

Hnthrdr

WKR
57k+ responses on 178k licenses issued is more than enough to draw meaningful conclusions at the state level. Some of the units with a lower number of tags issued may struggle, but in general the standard error and 95% confidence bounds reporting that they use are really a good example of best practices in action.
Seems like a lot of folks I know do not answer truthfully… but maybe more people do than not….

Ucsdryder

WKR
let me ask you a question…

Let’s say a party of guys hunt a low point/no point/otc unit and do very well year in and year out. Do you think they’re going to tell the truth on the voluntary reporting? Garbage in, garbage out…

Hnthrdr

WKR
let me ask you a question…

Let’s say a party of guys hunt a low point/no point/otc unit and do very well year in and year out. Do you think they’re going to tell the truth on the voluntary reporting? Garbage in, garbage out…
This! Most successful guys I know keep it to themselves when they get a survey, surefired way to get your unit blown up is let all the internet gurus, go hunters and hunting fools to know where elk are continuously getting tipped over…

Overdrive

WKR
I usually read the CPW stats when I need a good laugh.

A friend suggested at a meeting a year ago to go to a mandatory check in when he was at an in person meeting. The CPW said it wasn't possible to do and get all the information published for the public. We all know it's possible, midwest states have been doing it for years. I think they just don't want people to know that it's a lot lower than their published numbers, got to keep the bait out there. It's no different then their herd estimates.

I'm all for mandatory check in, we already have a 5 day period to check in bears it would be easy to do the same for all species, if you miss it you're not eligible to hunt the next year, it's not like we don't have the technology to do it.

I couldn't believe the difference in requirements for elk vs bear reporting. Yes, I know that it's a different species & all but they're way more serious about getting bear info than elk

LostArra

WKR
The point is: a phone app for checking game is not some futuristic technology. I can see keeping a paper tag for the mountains where cell coverage is sketchy but once you're on the road it should be checked in and a confirmation number provided for check stations or game processors.

I couldn't believe the difference in requirements for elk vs bear reporting. Yes, I know that it's a different species & all but they're way more serious about getting bear info than elk
You don't see Colorado advertising the "largest bear herd in America" like they do elk. I would imagine elk pays the bills.