Clothes for 17 Day Sheep Hunt in Northern BC?

sessions

FNG
Hey Tilzbow I live in B.C. and hunted elk up north dropped off by jet boat up one of those northern rivers the last 2 years in a row both times in early September it got as high as 26 degrees celsius and as low as -2 degrees celsius anyways beautiful country and the game is just the bonus good luck

flyingbrass

Lil-Rokslider
I hunted with Tuchodi River Outfitters a few years ago. It was first class and I killed a nice Stones Sheep. I wore minus 33 degreees wool base layer, 90% sitka jacket, cabelas microtex pants and shirt, 90% sitka jacket, and the most important item.........Sitka Downpour rain suit. Downpour is a great tough item and it didn't leak and it rained on us for 15 of the 16 days. I also carried an extra Primaloft jacket made by REI that is compresses real small. Now everyone makes one of these including Sitka, I this on under the rain suit on days it was cold. I wore uninsulated boots. FWIW, I went the same week you are going so my advice should be of some help.
Bombproof rain suit is the most important thing. I shot my Ram with a gun.

Last edited:

RedStag

Lil-Rokslider
Thats a nice ram you got there Flyingbrass, beauty dark cape on him.

I hunted up the same river lastyear and had thundershowers almost every day, but fairly good weather. As others have said, be prepared for plus 25C and -5C.

Ill be heading up this year in Late Sept for stones again, however I wont be taking nearly as much clothing as you. Granted I am through hiking with no base camp and I want my pack under 50lbs.

2 pairs of liner socks
2 pairs midweight merino socks
1 pair heavy wool socks for sleeping or camp
smartwool long underwear

kuiu merino 235 top
sitka traverse top
arcteryx atom lt jacket
kuiu guide jacket
Patagonia m10 jacket

Sitka mountain Pants or Kuiu Attack pants
arcteryx rain pants
sitka gaiters
Lowa Tibet GTX boots

ball cap
Arcteryx toque
blackdiamond scree glove
Mosquito headnet (you will want this)

If you are able to leave a change of camp clothes at the horse I would, then there is no need to double up on other pieces. Last year I ended up only wearing my traverse top in th early morning before we left camp, and at night to sleep in. Looking forward to seeing pics of your ram, what outfitter are you hunting with?

Brodie

Lil-Rokslider
I don't have any input on clothing but please take lots of pictures and share your experience with us!!
I dream about hunts like this every night, would be like winning the lottery.

goatboy

Lil-Rokslider
This is my last years clothing list for my fly in stone sheep hunt. I think its important to always have a dry set of clothes to change into either back at the tent or for waiting out a ram on the side of a mountain (it will save your ass!!!) even if it means putting wet gear on for the morning hunt.

Guide Jacket
Tiburon Pants ( attack pants at base)
Chugach pants/jacket
2 x spare socks
Spare merino boxers
Down jacket/pants
Merino short sleeve x2
Merino long sleeve x2
Merino bottoms (250 wt)
Toque
Guide gloves/ liners
Merino beanie
Spare long underwear and shirts/pants left at lake ( base camp)

Oh I almost forgot...rifle...bullets...