Clothes for 17 Day Sheep Hunt in Northern BC?

60x

WKR
Perhaps one complete change of clothes as someone mentioned above, but still not too much extra. I haven't done a guided hunt like what you describe, but we do often go on trips where we have to drive anywhere from 3-10 hours before the trip starts. For those trips I like to leave a complete change of clothes at our truck so I have something clean and dry for the ride home, and also so if I go into a gas station or restaurant I don't scare anyone with my sweaty/dirty /bloody clothing from a trip.

The more backpacking I do, the less I seem to mind wearing the same clothes for multiple days in the field. The last couple of times we have heavy camped (either boat or atv based) I have found I rarely bother to change even when I have stuff to change into. Unless something gets truly dirty or wet, I am fine wearing it until we go home. Maybe a result of too much time in the field...I do shower regularly and wear clean clothes the rest of the time, I promise :)

Geezh Becca that Luke guy is one lucky dude. My wife hardly likes camping anymore. I understand thouh with the new little one. But what you two do is just awesome!!

Stid2677

WKR
I'm a sweater as well, I would recommend a wind shirt, something like a http://www.wildthingsgear.com/collections/all-mountain-clothing-and-gear or http://www.patagonia.com/us/product/mens-houdini-jacket-windbreaker?p=24140-0 I use the Houdini and wear it next to my skin or over a merino shirt when climbing or hiking, it blocks the wind, keeps my down from getting sweaty. If it is not that cold I wear just it and when I stop I wipe off the sweat and put on a shirt and jacket. The thin wind shirts don't soak up water or sweat and dries very fast, the Houdini weighs 4 OZs. Works well to wear over your down to protect it as well, so under to keep sweat from soaking it and when stopped over the down as a wind black and protecting layer.

Add a pair of Rocky goretex socks http://www.campmor.com/rocky-gore-tex-socks-1.shtml?source=CI&ci_sku=19988BLK7M&ci_gpa=pla&ci_kw= wear these when your boots get wet, and they will get wet. These will keep your feet dry until your walk your boots dry. Also are great to wear with camp foots to keep feet dry. I tried the SEAL socks and the neoprene type adds too much volume to my boots.

You might try a product called http://www.certaindri.com/ amazing at blocking sweat, I use it under my arms and on my feet. You need to use it for a couple weeks to see the best results.

Crocs are heavy for a camp shoe. http://www.amazon.com/Vivobarefoot-...=1-2&keywords=vivobarefoot+ultra+running+shoe these are half the weight of crocs without the liners and have speed laces to hold them on your feet for water crossings.

I have the Kuiu Guide gloves, they are good for protecting your hands from rocks and such, but are not very warm and SUCK when wet. The leather palm takes a long time to dry as well. I like these http://www.amazon.com/Atlas-Glove-SB460L-Resistant-Insulated/dp/B000GTZQ9K or these http://www.amazon.com/Chilly-rubber...8&qid=1390172106&sr=1-2&keywords=chilly+grips these type are warm even when wet.

I would add a vest I use a Kuiu SD vest, or to balance the down Jacket maybe a synthetic vest, But it gets VERY cold with the wind howling when you sit still for very long. If you get cold, you will get impatient and want to move to get warm.

I like a neck gator or BUFF, these are very versatile and can be used lots of ways, around the neck, pulled up to protect neck and face, to keep bugs and sun off your ears, as a hat etc....

Make sure to take a very good blister kit,, nothing will make you quit faster than blistered feet. I don't care how tough you are or how you you have spent. Once you get blistered up you will tap out, seen it many times. Stop and tend to your feet as soon as you even think you are getting a hot spot.

I would add something to sit on when you stop to keep your backside from both getting wet or having the cold transferred to you body. Lots of way of doing that. I use 3 sectioned cut off a thermarest Zlite mat. Crazy creek makes a seat too. http://www.crazycreek.com/hex-2-0-original-chair/

I'm green with envy as I'm like Luke I would go just to be able to see such an amazing place.

Good luck!!!

Steve

tuffcity

WKR
My clothing list is roughly:
3 wool socks (i pair I sleep in)
2 pairs merino boxers
1 pair merino long johns
1 pair Ascent pants
no belt
2 merino zip Ts
Down shirt
vest (doubles as my pillow)
Chugach Rain pants and jacket (ya, I don't match :) )
Guide Gloves
Merino Beanie
90% jacket
Boots - Meindl Canada Pro's
Crocks for camp shoes

That's for a 12-14 day fly in/ back pack trip and we've had a few days of snow on mid August hunts (see my "sheep turned goat hunt" thread lol)

We also leave a full change of clothes at the lake/drop off point for the trip home. Merino drys out really quickly when your sitting around glassing and if it's not too cool you can veg in the sun and dry out. But if you're horse-ing most of the time and returning to a base camp and weight isn't a big deal- take everything on your list.

Good luck- shoots lots of MB's in pic's too! :)

RC

yama49

Lil-Rokslider
I would recommend the Yukon glove, with the guide gloves.. I wore mine on my october horse back hunt, dry and warm the whole time..

tstowater

WKR
Classified Approved
I've had the opportunity to hunt northern BC three times. Twice on sheep hunts and once on a moose hunt. One of the sheep hunts was the 2nd half of August. The weather was snow to 70+ and everything in between. As it sounds like you are hunting with one of the horseback outfitter, you will spend most of the time in the "base camp" and some spike camping depending on when and where. This type of hunting allows for extras, but you still will have a weight limit. Generally I see that you gear is good, may need an extra pair of pants and gloves. A lot of good comments based on personal preference and backpack experience. Get a good camera. Scenery is to die for. I have the itch to go back every year and probably will sooner than later. Depending on the outfitter and the part of their area that you are hunting will dictate the type and availability of game. I would concentrate on the sheep and anything beyond that is a pure bonus. Make sure that your guide has worked with archery hunters before as most are rifle hunters. Good luck.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
No, Aug1-oct15th

Bummer!!! Oh well realistically that will be the only way I'd get to go chase stone sheep is basically tagging along with someone that lives there. Would be a pretty cool experience no doubt.

For all you guys that dream of being able to hunt BC for sheep you should just buddy up to a resident. You won't be able to pull the trigger but that is a very small part of the experience. There are no regulations that keep you from backpacking, fishing and glassing with the guy with the resident that has the tag. Plus you don't have to pay an outfitter big bucks to take you around.

im in if youre offering ;)

tstowater

WKR
Classified Approved
Bummer!!! Oh well realistically that will be the only way I'd get to go chase stone sheep is basically tagging along with someone that lives there. Would be a pretty cool experience no doubt.

Luke: Nothing like the stress of having a lot of money riding on the shot.:)

Northern BC is beautiful. I've yet to capture a picture of its true beauty. I've given serious consideration of just going up there for a month every fall to take it in either as a wrangler or a camp cook. Outdoor cooking skills (wood burners, etc.) would really have to improve to do that.

OP
T

Tilzbow

WKR
Great input and I'm definitely going to add a warmer hat. I've got a Sitka Gear Jetstream hat that's nice and warm for it's weight, especially with a beanie underneath. A short sleeve shirt will definitely get thrown in and if I'm under weight I'll probably add a pair of Tiburon pants. I'm going to review my lists from my last couple of northern hunts and see if I'm missing anything.

TXCO

WKR
No point to bring multiple camp clothes (ie two under armour shirts). I wouldnt bring any of the extra clothes youre suggesting (maybe the pants), but agree on the vest recommendation or a simple fleece. I agree on the 230 or similar gloves, plus they're way easier to shoot it. Definitely look at a warmer beanie, unless you like wearing your jacket hood. I usually bring 2-3 pairs of socks total and 2 total pairs of underwear. By the end of it, youre going to smell worse than your clothes so it would be pointless to carry the extra weight. Plus you can always rinse them in the streams (downstream of your water station).

TXCO

WKR
If the horse ride in is a long one I'd choose jeans and cowboy boots over Kuiu pants and hunting boots. Less chaffing with jeans and cowboy boots are more comfortable in the stirrups. IMHO. (Just for the ride in)
Excellent point

there are lots of things I never admit to doing on hunts in public forums! Sheep hunts have a way of making you do some crazy stuff...cookin' some sox!
Yike's, you don't look like you're a very happy camper. Lighten up brother, you're sheep hunting in AK, what could possibly be so bad? :)

Just read Lukes post, guess I'm not the only one that thought that.

OP
T

Tilzbow

WKR
Talked to Larry and Lori at WSF here in Reno and this is definitely not a backpack hunt. Weight limit is 60# and that doesn't include food, tent, cooking gear or my bow. Horses will be packing it all so I'm going to load up as much as possible. I know all you purist, stinky dudes will say to only bring one pair of shorts but I'm going big! A little tiny pillow will be really nice...

tstowater

WKR
Classified Approved
Unless you are driving, there are going to be weight limits for baggage to get to Fort Nelson. Packing for the airlines gets to be a pain.

OP
T

Tilzbow

WKR
Thanks for all the excellent advice! I've taken some stuff off my list and added other items as a result of the valuable input on this thread!

For airline travel hunts (I think I've done almost 10) I pack one duffel and one hard case for my bow and each be well under 50 pounds. The bow case is for two bows and gets stuffed with clothes in place of the second bow unless I take a backup bow and I might take a take down longbow for a backup. Optics, street clothes, meds and other fragile gear goes in my pack which I carry on. I may take a cooler and pack the duffle in that then use the cooler for meat and/or trophy transport back home. The outfitter has a storage locker in the town they pick me up in to leave the bow case, street clothes and cooler. I'm selective on the airlines I book on and pay attention to baggage policies since those can vary widely.

For this hunt all I need is a sleeping bag, pad, clothes, bow and other personal gear. All food and shelter is supplied and I get my own tent so no one has to listen to me snore. So coming in under 60# will be super easy and although I don't plan to take a bunch of clothes I'll probably throw in one extra change of clothes over what many are recommending.

All that said, I plan to bring as much meat home as possible. They have tons of elk, good moose and goats so with luck I can take a sheep early enough in the hunt and then hunt for a second species. If successful on sheep and something else meat and trophy transport back home will get pricy but I'll gladly pay a couple hundred extra for some good BC sheep and elk back straps.

Last edited: