Clothes for 17 Day Sheep Hunt in Northern BC?

Tilzbow

WKR
Stone Sheep, August 15 - 31 in Northern British Columbia. This will be an archery hunt. Looking for input on clothes. Note that I sweat a ton, even worse when I'm in sheep shape because I don't have to slow down....

Day 1 = Jet boat ride to base, pack into sheep camp via horse
Days 2 - 16 = Hunt days
Day 17 = Reverse of day 1

Goat, moose and elk are options if successful on sheep.

Here are the clothes I'm bringing for sure (most, if not all, is KUIU):

Yukon Gators
4 pairs liner socks and wool socks
4 pairs merino boxers
1 pair merino long johns
1 pair Attack pants
1 belt
2 merino 185 zip Ts
1 merino 230 zip T
Super Down hooded jacket
Yukon Rain pants and jacket
Guide Gloves
Merino Beanie
Boonie Hat
Boots - Lowa Sheep Hunters
Crocks for camp shoes

Here are the extra things I'm considering:

1 extra pair Attack pants
2 additional merino 185 zip Ts
1 additional merino 230 zip T
1 Sitka Traverse hooded zip T
2 Under Armour shirts for sleeping

So the question is would you add anything to the essential list? Would you take the extra clothes assuming weight isn't an issue? Any other suggestions?

Kuiu merino 230 gloves. I don't like to rely on only one pair of gloves to keep my hands warm.

I would probably take one more pair of pants, if you rip them or they fail, you really could be sol, I guess you could wear the Yukon pants if you had to

goatboy

Lil-Rokslider
Sub the attack pants for the tiburon if you sweat a lot. A warm hat, the merino beanie isnt enough and a warm pair of gloves as well. The super down pants are worth taking too. Leave the under armour at home.

I would toss in a t-shirt. You can and probably will see temps into the mid 70s during the end of Aug, but I guess you are from Reno, so that might be cold for you... :rolleyes:

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
+1 on the t shirt, while I haven't hunted in BC, I have seen 80 degrees on Aug sheep hunts in AK and being without short sleeves would be no fun. When you say assuming weight isn't an issue, do you mean that you can leave extra clothes at base camp, or do you have to carry it all? If you have to carry it all, I don't usually bring more than one of any item except socks (which I bring 2 pairs max, plus the pair I wear in) and underwear (I bring one extra). Bringing three merino zip t's seems like a lot, if you really think you want two different weights than bring one each of the 185 and the 230 plus a t shirt. Throwing in a vest isn't a bad idea. Then you can layer if you want to, but don't have extras of the same thing. You can always rinse stuff out in a creek if it gets really sweaty, the beauty of merino is it won't stink even after days.

If you can leave stuff at basecamp I might consider bringing one complete change of clothes (pants, socks, shirt, underwear) but that would be only if I didn't have to carry it around for two weeks.

BigSurArcher

Banned
Since it sounds like you'll be wearing the Attack as your primary outer layer pant, I would swap the Yukon pants for Chugach pants. Save 10oz and free up a little bit of pack space. Sounds like a great hunt, congrats on the opportunity.

bcimport

WKR
I would cut out one pair of wool socks. There should be plenty of time to air out socks in the tent or while glassing on the hunt. As mentioned above swap one of the 185 LS for a short sleeve merino or synthetic shirt. If there is a cabin or spot to stash gear where the jet boat drops you off hang a dry bag with a complete change of clean clothes, nothing better than finally getting out of the stuff you have lived in for two weeks. Only other advice I would give you is have a great time, prepare to be rained in the tent for at least a couple days, burning hot and freezing cold all on the same trip. Lots of sheep up there, most of the rivers gets some pretty good pressure so be ready to hike a long way in.

Jdog

WKR
The only clothing item for a sheep hunt I bring extra is socks.

Seems like you have a lot of duplicate items...unless like Becca said, you can leave at a base camp with horses, etc. as a guided hunt can sometimes allow.

My hunts are DIY and we try to bring ZERO extra items. Your undies eventually stink along with your shirt, pants and fart sack.

I don't bring extra undies or much of anyting. I will bring an extra pair of socks or maybe two.

ONE THING I ABSOLUTELY, W/O A DOUBT DO NOT RECOMMEND--DON'T ATTEMPT TO SMELL ANY OF YOUR UNDIES, PANTS OR SOCKS!

Ray

WKR
That boat ride will be surprisingly cold if the river is anything like our AK non glacial rivers. You'll be wanting something to block the wind like your rain coat over the puffy. Or it could be scorching hot and feel good to be on the river.

Be prepared to spend time spiking out away from horse camp. Have your clothes packed in groups in small stuff sacks. Your are going to need to ask the outfitter how they want your gear packed for the horse part of the trip. One big duffle bag may not work.

BigSurArcher

Banned
ONE THING I ABSOLUTELY, W/O A DOUBT DO NOT RECOMMEND--DON'T ATTEMPT TO SMELL ANY OF YOUR UNDIES, PANTS OR SOCKS!

And don't let your hunting buddy talk you into smelling theirs... happened to me one time, which was also the last time.

OP
T

Tilzbow

WKR
Good suggestions thus far. I believe this will be primarily a horse back hunt with maybe a day or two going out via backpack, so base camp will be taken with us, and we might spike out from there. If spiking out it'll be the clothes on my back, an insulting layer and rain gear. I will confirm at a WSF later this week since my outfitter will be there.

Given the involvement of horses packing the gear would you still stay minimalist or take extra clothes? This isn't my first rodeo and I know from experience stink doesn't matter after 3 to 4 days but I also know how good it can feel to clean up and out on fresh clothes after 4-5 days....

I don't know about extra clothes but I sure know that I work extremely hard and could video you hunt for you, help fix meals, pack your animal, heck you just name it and I'll do it. I think I could fit in as a carry-on bag, but if worse comes to worse, I would settle for checked baggage just to get to come along. :D :eek:

60x

WKR
Im with 6mm...hehehe.. This sounds like one epic trip and I would love to partake someday...

I would bet your outfitter will give you a weight limit or something similar.. Every sheep hunt I pack for always depends on how far I have to carry the stuff on my back.. When I set up a base camp close to where I would be hunting I tend to take extra clothes and some extra treats.. Here in Alaska we always seem to be wet from either sweat or rain but either way to me there is nothing more refreshing then some clean undergarments, its a good pick me up.. In early hunts I would surly consider something light stuff for the warm days.. Like Becca I too have seen temps in the 80's and even higher in the AK range.. I have even had to hike in nothing but my skivies a time or two to keep cool or do night ops..

I sure hope you can take the time to post about your hunt... I would love to read about your adventure

bcimport

WKR
For all you guys that dream of being able to hunt BC for sheep you should just buddy up to a resident. You won't be able to pull the trigger but that is a very small part of the experience. There are no regulations that keep you from backpacking, fishing and glassing with the guy with the resident that has the tag. Plus you don't have to pay an outfitter big bucks to take you around.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
For all you guys that dream of being able to hunt BC for sheep you should just buddy up to a resident. You won't be able to pull the trigger but that is a very small part of the experience. There are no regulations that keep you from backpacking, fishing and glassing with the guy with the resident that has the tag. Plus you don't have to pay an outfitter big bucks to take you around.

Yep some year I'd just like to tag along! Can you hunt Stones in July like they can for Dalls in YT and NWT?

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
Given the involvement of horses packing the gear would you still stay minimalist or take extra clothes? This isn't my first rodeo and I know from experience stink doesn't matter after 3 to 4 days but I also know how good it can feel to clean up and out on fresh clothes after 4-5 days....

Perhaps one complete change of clothes as someone mentioned above, but still not too much extra. I haven't done a guided hunt like what you describe, but we do often go on trips where we have to drive anywhere from 3-10 hours before the trip starts. For those trips I like to leave a complete change of clothes at our truck so I have something clean and dry for the ride home, and also so if I go into a gas station or restaurant I don't scare anyone with my sweaty/dirty /bloody clothing from a trip.

The more backpacking I do, the less I seem to mind wearing the same clothes for multiple days in the field. The last couple of times we have heavy camped (either boat or atv based) I have found I rarely bother to change even when I have stuff to change into. Unless something gets truly dirty or wet, I am fine wearing it until we go home. Maybe a result of too much time in the field...I do shower regularly and wear clean clothes the rest of the time, I promise :)

Jdog

WKR
Yuck! I don't think I'd admit that on a public forum.

there are lots of things I never admit to doing on hunts in public forums! Sheep hunts have a way of making you do some crazy stuff...cookin' some sox!

Attachments

• HTP 13 V.2 188.jpg
    HTP 13 V.2 188.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 180