Close-Range Woods Scope

RepeatPete

Lil-Rokslider
Need some help with my ongoing search fr a new scope. This will be going on a lightweight Kimber Hunter in 6.5 Creedmoor. Use will be deer and coyote hunting in the northeast US. Shots will be practiced out to 400/500 yards, but so far I’ve never taken a shot on a deer over about 175 yds.

Looking for something with most of the following:
  • low end magnification of 1x, top end of 4x or more
  • Larger objective (>35mm)
  • Illuminated
  • Simple reticle with a few holdover points (won’t be dialing)
  • Relatively lightweight <18 oz
Does a scope like this scope exist?

I shot a red dot recently and really liked how close shots on moving targets worked with both eyes open. I hunt a lot in the thick stuff where common shots are 20-50 yards, and could see that being super helpful. I’m currently using a 3-9, but would like a lower bottom end magnification, and illumination as well. And shots can be in a creek bottom under thick pines at the end of shooting light so low-light performance is important.

I’ve found a few 1.5-6 with larger objectives - can you use scopes that have a low end of 1.5 like a red dot with both eyes open?

11boo

WKR
1x variable 36mm and up objective w illumination and less than 18 ounces?
Yeah I saw that. He’ll probably have to give up on the large objective. Not many like that anyway, Some Burris stuff used to have a large obj, I bought one here on our EE cheap.
After using it for a while I don’t see the advantage.

Just get a 30mm tube 1x4 or whatever you like. I hate to recommend a big box store but they will have a bunch of stuff to look through.

That’s a Riton 1x5 on the 6.5. Jap glass, mebbe 400 bucks. Hasn’t lost zero yet 4 years in.

IMG_0024.jpeg

Macintosh

WKR
I have the same use, but for me I have not found one scope to cover the variation in ranges you are talking about. For me the low power scope is really a 100-yard and less gun. If one optic is really where you want to land you are going to end up making a lot of compromises I think. Maybe a 2-10 or 2.5-10 would be better suited if you really want the full range of versatility. Or maybe a 2-7? Does anyone even still make a 2-7? I have a different gun if I might need to shoot past point blank range and have found that to work better for me.

Im personally eyeing a trijicon accupoint 1-6, just waiting to check one out in person to get a sense of eyebox and which reticle I’d prefer. The mildot reticle could work if you need the longer range for practice. Credo also has a good looking 1-6 and 1-8, although I dont think the footprint and reticle options will be what I want they might be an option for you. Most of the lpvo reticles seem to be designed for 3-gun with an AR and some of the reticles arent my speed.

OP
R

RepeatPete

Lil-Rokslider
Yeah I saw that. He’ll probably have to give up on the large objective. Not many like that anyway, Some Burris stuff used to have a large obj, I bought one here on our EE cheap.
After using it for a while I don’t see the advantage.

Just get a 30mm tube 1x4 or whatever you like. I hate to recommend a big box store but they will have a bunch of stuff to look through.

That’s a Riton 1x5 on the 6.5. Jap glass, mebbe 400 bucks. Hasn’t lost zero yet 4 years in.

View attachment 720812

That’s currently my best option, a cheaper 1-4 power LVPO. Then if the low light performance isn’t up to snuff I’m not out a bunch.

I have the same use, but for me I have not found one scope to cover the variation in ranges you are talking about. For me the low power scope is really a 100-yard and less gun. If one optic is really where you want to land you are going to end up making a lot of compromises I think. Maybe a 2-10 or 2.5-10 would be better suited if you really want the full range of versatility. Or maybe a 2-7? Does anyone even still make a 2-7? I have a different gun if I might need to shoot past point blank range and have found that to work better for me.

Im personally eyeing a trijicon accupoint 1-6, just waiting to check one out in person to get a sense of eyebox and which reticle I’d prefer. The mildot reticle could work if you need the longer range for practice. Credo also has a good looking 1-6 and 1-8, although I dont think the footprint and reticle options will be what I want they might be an option for you. Most of the lpvo reticles seem to be designed for 3-gun with an AR and some of the reticles arent my speed.
The accupoint looks good, I was also wanting to look through one in person to decide, specifically at twilight. I’ve found some good 2-10 options, but I think I’d rather sacrifice on the high end of magnification, not the low end, as my shots are typically closer.

I really like the 1.5-6 range, of which there are a few options. Can you use a 1.5 power like a red dot with both eyes open?

PlumberED

WKR
Classified Approved
I am not sure such a scope exists. Maybe look at the Trijicon lineup of scopes. But you will probably have to make some compromises.

Nine Banger

Lil-Rokslider
Shoot2HuntU
I picked up a trijicon accupoint 2.5-10x56 with the green triangle reticle for the same purpose you are describing. My plan is to use it to cull whitetail does on a site that allows 200 yards right and left and 125 ahead of the stand and zero at 200. This scope has capped windage and capped elevation and the clicks are in MOA unfortunately.

Kurts86

WKR
I would probably just get a 1-4 or 1-6x SFP LPVO. The exit pupil on a 6x24mm is still 4mm, the same as 10x40mm so exit/light transmission isn’t an issue on LPVO’s until you get to 8/10x.

I’d probably get the Trijicon Credo 1-6x24 SFP model. Know that LPVO’s are not forgiving of cheaper options and almost every 1-8, 1-10x or FFP will compromise the top or bottom magnification performance. The Credo 1-6x is a modest specification list with good glass, durability and weight.

Based on what you’re describing I’m not sure if anything checks all those boxes. A lpvo like a Trijicon or vortex will probably do what ya need.

Best I can think of outside a LPVO is the Vortex Razor LH (gen 1) 1.5-8x36 with the bdc reticle. Non-illuminated and 1.5 on the low end but matches everything else. Discontinued to you can probably find one somewhere.

OP, I've owned some great LPVOs, and still have a Swarovski Z8i 1-8 I love, doing a lot of coyote hunting, varminting, and practical use/daily shooting with it on an AR. I share this to say that, in my personal experience, unless you're going back and forth from CQB (household) distances to needing to take 500yd shots on any given day, LPVOs are a waste of money, usually heavier and with relatively poor optical performance, comparatively - especially the ones with very high magnification ranges, like 1-8 or 1-10 even moreso. I keep mine right about 2.3 power at all times, unless taking a steady shot at distance. Not once have I ever had to crank it down, but I've commonly wished I had more high-end power on it. Something that goes 2 or 2.5 up to 10 to 15ish is far more practical and useful.

Something to keep in mind, given that you're in the woods, is that you'll want to account for dim light need, and the ability to peer into the shadows - which great glass and coatings allow for much more effectively. The higher the magnification range, generally speaking, the poorer the optical performance - more "fish eye" at the edges, less crispness and clarity, poorer low-light performance. My Z8 1-8 has an 8x range. My only remaining Leupold is a VX6-HD that goes 3-18, giving it a 6x range. It has a 44mm objective, while the Swaro has a 24mm. The Leupold gives notably better optical performance in dim light and moonlight than the Swaro, which is twice as expensive (and is so for what goes into the optical engineering). At any matching power setting, the Leupold just gives better optical performance. Generally speaking, at any matching price point, a scope with a 4x or 5x range will give notably better optical performance than one with 8x or especially 10x.

Short of genuinely needing a scope on a gun you expect to go from CQB to 500 yds with on any given day, or some dangerous game applications, there is just no benefit to a 1x scope - 2x is fine, and there is a lot of benefit from having a high end that hits 10 or even 15.

Beetroot

Lil-Rokslider
LPVOs with a true 1x don’t exist with an obj lens larger than 28mm, obj lens size is a design restriction with a 1x magnification.
As you’ve pointed out 1.5-6 the best you’ll do (or something like the March 1.5-15).

Personally I think unless you are room clearing 2x is more than enough on the low end, 1.5x is a luxury.
With proper practise and rifle you setup you can shoot any magnification with both eyes open, I shoot all my scopes (up to 30x) with both eyes open without even thinking about it.

Shooting both eyes open not only helps with situational awareness but also causes less muscle strain with long shooting sessions, so it’s a good skill to pick up.

A 2-12x42 VX6 with LR fire dot will do a what you want.

JCMCUBIC

WKR
I like the older S&B 1.5-6x42's. I can use them with both eyes open. I can tell the difference, and think I'm quicker, with a true 1x LPVO. For hunting, the trade off in low light is defiantly worth it for me to use the 1.5-6x42. Anything other than lowest light and it isn't an issue.

Luke S

Lil-Rokslider
Unless you are room clearing or facing a bear charge I don't think true 1x is necessary. 2x or 2.5 is nice. I like the Trijicon Huron 2.5-10 scope. Seems durable and it's simple.

Macintosh

WKR
Not the OP, but if his use is like mine, room clearing distances ARE the norm...it's the shots that are longer than 75 yards or so that are far less common. Then again he mentioned 400-500...sounds like thats practice, but if so Id certainly compromise there long before I compromised on the lower magnification and big, bold reticle. OP should chime in on where most of the use is and if one scope to do double-duty is really a necessity. I personally have never found a scope that is optimized for use across that whole breadth of conditions and ranges, that didnt significantly compromise on use at one end of the spectrum, which is precisely why I recommended a 2-ishx minimum scope if crossover use is a priority. Personally, 2x works ok for me in this application, but agree with the OP that 3x simply doesnt provide enough field of view at typical hunting ranges, its hard to keep an animal in your field of view as it moves, and you definitely lose it on any significant recoil. Lots of guys around me are using 1x red dots for just this reason. I do like a few X's to be able to pick a window through brush better though especially as my eyes age.

If its the same as jcmcubic referenced, that s&b zenith 1.5-6x42 scope is available at eurooptic, it's $$$$ but not ridiculous and no more so than some of the other options mentioned in this thread. https://www.eurooptic.com/schmidt-bender-zenith-15-6x42-fd7-rifle-scope.aspx

Last edited:

Huntchic

Lil-Rokslider
As others have said the LPVO is what your description is seeking in a type scope. There are a number of brands and models out there.
I’ve got the Vortex 1-6x24 strike eagle and the 1-8x24 strike eagle they have both been great scopes.