Climber

I'm going to try using the top portion of my Summit Open Shot as a climber base with my saddle set up.

I also have two complete Summit Viper's. I use them occasionally but prefer my saddle. I've got a MadRock and 40 feet of Canyon rope that I use with the climber and my saddle to make sure I have a back up descent.

The skeptic above (oldbay) questioned shots beyond 75 yards in the saddle.

I killed 2 does (on a food plot, granted) at 125 and 135 yards the same afternoon last year. Dropped in their tracks. I picked up a couple of Tethrd's Fold N Go hangers and that works great as a rifle rest. Just got into the sitting position, leaned up against the tree with my rifle on the hanger and had a better, rock-solid rest than if I'd been in the shooting house on the same plot.

Yoder

WKR
I use my Lone Wolf sit and climb all the time. It's actually lighter than my lock on stand once you add all the steps. I actually prefer the climber. It's easier and faster than setting up sticks.

SloppyJ

WKR
I've been using summit stands for years. I have the bigger goliath one now and I love it. Adjust the seat way up for archery so you just lean forward and set it up like a lazyboy for rifle.

I'm going to grab a couple of the millenium hang on stands this year too. In my neck of the woods it can be tricky to find a good tree for a climber where you want it. I have millenium seats in my boat and they're super comfortable. I expect the stands to be the same.

I still use mine, but not as much as I used to. I hunt mostly private land now, and have either box blinds or ladders that stay year round. But occasionally I'll hunt a different area on the place I lease or hunt some public, and when I do I sill use my Summit Viper.

I will say that climbers were more comfortable when I used them. Hunting public and the occasional private, that I can't leave stands up on, got me to switch to a hang-on. I seemed to always have issues with setting the stand up to allow it to be level as the tree tapered.

plebe

Lil-Rokslider
Keep in mind, I live in canada, there is exchange rates duties and shipping applied. We don't have any dealers here.
There is a guy called the Canadian saddle hunter who deals with the main distributors in the states, he has a combo kit available but your still looking at 1300 plus taxes . Then if you want any added goodies the cost goes up

That is expensive, but there are far cheaper options too. Just depends on what you want I guess.

Last edited:

fatlander

WKR
Climbers are definitely more comfortable. The issue is you end up tree hunting instead of deer hunting. With a firearm, it’s not quite as critical, with a bow it’s a game of inches.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

plebe

Lil-Rokslider
Climbers are definitely more comfortable. The issue is you end up tree hunting instead of deer hunting. With a firearm, it’s not quite as critical, with a bow it’s a game of inches.

Sometimes yes, sometimes no.

Often enough I have scouted and know what tree I’m climbing before I head out. I’m not often stumbling upon hunt here now “hot sign” in the pitch dark, so it isn’t a huge factor. Albeit, sometimes that tree I’m heading to requires something other than a climber.

fatlander

WKR
... Albeit, sometimes that tree I’m heading to requires something other than a climber.

And that’s the reason if you’re only going to have one stand to bow hunt out of, a climber ain’t it. You can put a loc on in any tree you can put a climber in.

The other issue with a climber is hiding yourself. It’s so much harder to hide in a telephone pole tree. You can climb to 25+ feet and then have the issue of deer getting too close. A guy can do just fine 8 foot off the ground in a lock on.

In a perfect world I’d take my climber all the time because it’s more comfortable. We don’t live in a perfect world. I haven’t shot a mature buck out of a climber in almost a decade. Loc ons are just more versatile and give you many times over more options to be on the X.

plebe

Lil-Rokslider
And that’s the reason if you’re only going to have one stand to bow hunt out of, a climber ain’t it. You can put a loc on in any tree you can put a climber in.

The other issue with a climber is hiding yourself. It’s so much harder to hide in a telephone pole tree. You can climb to 25+ feet and then have the issue of deer getting too close. A guy can do just fine 8 foot off the ground in a lock on.

In a perfect world I’d take my climber all the time because it’s more comfortable. We don’t live in a perfect world. I haven’t shot a mature buck out of a climber in almost a decade. Loc ons are just more versatile and give you many times over more options to be on the X.

Idk. I’m way more out of the line of sight on the same tree in a climber at 25+ feet vs 8ft in a lock on. And there’s no sticks with human scent and possibly aiders moving in the wind at nose/eye level to the quary.

It’s situational. I have multiple systems, and would often choose a climber over a hang on and sticks. Then again, sometimes the climber is the worst choice. It just depends.

fatlander

WKR
Idk. I’m way more out of the line of sight on the same tree in a climber at 25+ feet vs 8ft in a lock on. And there’s no sticks with human scent and possibly aiders moving in the wind at nose/eye level to the quary.

It’s situational. I have multiple systems, and would often choose a climber over a hang on and sticks. Then again, sometimes the climber is the worst choice. It just depends.

If they’re smelling your scent on a climbing stick, they’re smelling you regardless. You didn’t teleport into the woods. Your ground scent is still there. If deer are seeing and spooking off your sticks, you’re not setting up the right way anyhow.

Somewhere along the way we got lost and began pursuing gear and comfort more intently than woodsmanship.

plebe

Lil-Rokslider
If they’re smelling your scent on a climbing stick, they’re smelling you regardless. You didn’t teleport into the woods. Your ground scent is still there. If deer are seeing and spooking off your sticks, you’re not setting up the right way anyhow.

Somewhere along the way we got lost and began pursuing gear and comfort more intently than woodsmanship.

Woodsmanship and comfort are not mutually exclusive.

fatlander

WKR
Woodsmanship and comfort are not mutually exclusive.

They certainly aren’t. But the general trend I’ve observed over the last 20 or so years is the pursuit of gear and comfort has eclipsed the pursuit of woodsmanship.

plebe

Lil-Rokslider
They certainly aren’t. But the general trend I’ve observed over the last 20 or so years is the pursuit of gear and comfort has eclipsed the pursuit of woodsmanship.

I don’t see what this has to do with climbers vs other elevated hunting methods.

fatlander

WKR
I don’t see what this has to do with climbers vs other elevated hunting methods.

Climbers biggest benefit are comfort and ease of use as echoed in this thread. They’re inferior in their ability to go in the tree that’s on the x in comparison to a loc on. If loc ons were as comfortable and easy to learn how to use as climbers, you’d never hear anyone recommend one.

They have their place, but they end up people’s back way more often than not because they’re comfortable and easy, not because they’re the best tool for killing deer from an elevated position.

plebe

Lil-Rokslider
Climbers biggest benefit are comfort and ease of use as echoed in this thread. They’re inferior in their ability to go in the tree that’s on the x in comparison to a loc on. If loc ons were as comfortable and easy to learn how to use as climbers, you’d never hear anyone recommend one.

They have their place, but they end up people’s back way more often than not because they’re comfortable and easy, not because they’re the best tool for killing deer from an elevated position.

Climber, Lok-on, Saddle and ropes, whatever, all just tools. Pick the right one for the job. Has nothing to do with Woodsmanship.

If someone can hunt a spot more comfortably it’s an advantage. Climbers also set up faster, and can be quieter than sticks and a stand, situationally.

Poo poo them if you like. They can be the best tool for the job and plenty of nice critters are taken from them.

benmj111

FNG
I think it depends on the type of trees that you will hunt out of. For me, I hunt both hill country and swamps and need something that can get into those small twisted swamp trees with a lot of branches. If your trees are compatible with climbers, it's one of the more comfortable routes

shax2lex

Lil-Rokslider
I use climbers and I have for the past 30yrs. I use a Buckshot Bigshot. I got it 25yrs ago. It is super comfortable and I got it now where I can run it with my EXO Mtn Gear K4 for long packs in/out with a deer and rifle.

dwdereu

FNG
Still using a Treewalker, no known as Heartland Climbers, and are pretty expensive. I just can't imagine a saddle being as comfortable but you do have to pick an appropriate tree or get one prepared ahead of time.

Hoffmeyer

FNG
I love my Summit Viper and have taken many deer out of it. There haven't been many instances that I couldn't find a suitable tree to use, however, I don't think I would rely on it as my only available stand, sometimes a hang on and sticks is the only way to go.